Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: No-Shows???

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

Re: No-Shows???

"ejmat" wrote:
    Of course it's part of being a DB. As I stated much earlier look at yardage people give up. That is as best of a test you can get. People get burned all the time but look at how many times they get burned. After all, Deion Sanders as much as I hate him, rarely got burned. Was he a good CB? Everybody thinks so. I don't think he was a good all around CB. The bottom line there is he did make the most out of interceptions. No questioning the guys talent for bringing a ball back the other way for 6. He couldn't tackle worth of crap. People were scared to throw his way because of his reputation of intercepting passes. The topic of this forum is these 2 players as possible no-shows because of money disputes. Does CC or BW deserve more money? To me, that's a huge NOOOOOOOOOOOO at this time.
    I agree with you on that. Why do players sign contracts they don't want to uphold? It kind of takes the point away doesn't it? It angers me!

Del Rio Guest

I don't think that's really our call obviously. I do not agree with the amount of cash thrown at Smoot. We really have no concept of what a player is worth given what little knowledge we get.

Like I said is he holding out? Not that I know of. They missed an optional practice. If they do hold out then I might be upset. And on the other hand I do not blame them. Especially Williams concidering he is statistically similar to Smoot. I think it is selfish but like I said earlier I'm not sure they have any other choices. This whole you signed the deal live with it is a joke.

It is only portrayed like that if the league benifits from it. If they need to cut some spending you better believe your deal get's re worked. In fact most deals do not go the distance. They grade on a curve so I do not see any reason the players shouldn't.

That's just reality. Personally I would like to see both of those guys suit up and play for us. Williams should channel his emotions into production and if he shines then he can go to a new team next year worth a lot more and play for someone who can utilize him more.

michaelmazid is offline Team Alumni

smoot has had good numbers for about 4 years now but williams just had one good year. Also, smoot plays the run like you wouldn't believe. I don't remember seeing B. Williams coming up for run support.

Del Rio Guest

Watch a bit closer. He is very good at stopping the run. And causing fumbles. I'm not saying he is a smoot. I am just not sold on him playing under Cottrell. He sets us up for failure.

ejmat is offline Jersey Retired

There are similarities to the "stats" between BW and FS. That is true. Let's look at the comparisons since 2002:

Tackles INTs Passes Deflected

Williams 156 8 25
    Smoot 152 11 25

The difference is that the Vikings allow more people in their backfield than do the Redskins giving Willams more chances for tackles and INTs. Just a fact there. As we ALL agreed earlier, the Skins had less passes thrown against them yet Smoot still has more INTs. In BWs defense he has 5 forced fumbles to FSs 3. Again, I didn't want to compare the 2 b/c of the different style Ds they each played on but here are the stats. I am nobody to say who gets what money and who doesn't. Again, IMO, BW doesn't deserve a raise at this point. Should FS receive his contract, evidently the Vikings think so for now. I guess that will be determined. We can sit here and debate this forever about who is better. To me I hope they both play great as a team. All I know is FS played on the #3 defense in the league last year and BW played on the 28th

Del Rio Guest

For lack of anything better to do your assumption about the passess is just wrong.

Minnesota Was passed on 544 times.
    The Redskins were passed on 515 times.

Not much of a difference no enough to offset any stats IMO. Now the interesting part is this. They had one of the best defenses in the league and we had one of the worst so how is it that the percentage of passes caugh by our opponents are pretty similar?

62% for us-----------> one of the worst in the league
    57% for them---------> one of the best in the league

As you showed us their stats are pretty much the same. Except B.Will is a play maker like I have said he forces fumbles he is ALWAYS around the ball, and he is still learning and still fairly young. Throw in the fact that he plays in a crappy system I would say he is worth some cash.

Now I really could care less who starts, the thing that irks me is no one knows Smoot. No one watched him play week in and week out. He is a Brian Williams on paper. And yet people are on his jock like flies on shit. He is going to be playing for the same cord, that williams was. But the way I look at it is the guy had Williams like seasons with a great supporting cast.

Williams did just as good with a hodge podge of mediocre players. So I can see why he is upset. He probably wanted to show what he could do with a great supporting cast. And now no matter how hard he plays it isn't going to happen. Because no one is going to sit someone making the money Smoot does.

Again I respect your opinion. And It is the offseason. I hope Smoot tears it up really I do. Because I will be the first one here eating crow and loving every minute of it. But I hold my schoolgirl joy until I see what the loud mouth can do. I know he can talk.

For the record I haven't watched him religiously. But my friend has. And he had some not so nice things to say about Smoot that really puts him on par with what we have. He could be upset Smoot jumped ship. But he is usually pretty level headed. I'm not calling him the mesiah I'm not guaranteeing us the division until he ponies up and shows me what he is really about.

(Not that you do any of those things, I'm just saying)

michaelmazid is offline Team Alumni

B.Will will most likely have a bad azz season and than will sign with another team as a free agent for a whole bunch of clams (just like fred smoot did this year).

Paulbedy59 is offline Coordinator

does anyone know if they showed or not?
    If winning isn,t everything,why keep score?

ejmat is offline Jersey Retired

Del Rio, I agree for the most part but I really would like to see how many times each were thrown at. I think that matters. Other than that there is no denying from the stats they are similar. FS has more INTs and BW has more FFs. It off-sets. I haven't watched a lot of Smoot but what I have seen of him he is pretty good. Passing catches are one thing. Teams can throw dumps. Long balls are another matter and that is something BW had problems with. He has made a few good plays here and there but he hasn't been consistent.

Like you I will withhold my joy until I see our D gel and make it easier for the Vikings to win games scoring less than 25 points. We all have the same hopes for this team. that is to win a SB. Like I said earlier I want CC and BW here and he has a lot of potential but he hasn't proved anything to me yet. When you ask impartial people (that don't follow the Vikes or the Skins) I will tell you more people heard of Smoot and don't know a thing about BW. That comes from reputation.

VikemanX84 is offline Hall of Famer

If you look at this team and the chance we have this season it really makes me wonder why anyone would hold-out or not go to voluntary mini-camps. You know, for all his "distractions", Randy Moss never missed a mini-camp or a voluntary work-out, or practice or anything.

Now Brian Williams is young. I don't know who his Agent is but whoever it is needs to tell b-will that he will still be playing in well over half of the defensive plays this season and will get plenty of chances to show-case his skills, but if he holds out he isn't going to get a better shot on another team and is going to lose his starting job to Ken Irvin (again). I think we should lock him for a long time because he is very talented and a play maker and with being a Nickel D more than half the time we need a good one.

He is young and thats a mistake that will be made when you're a young player but comes with Maturity - something Chavous needs to have right now. I never wanted to get rid of him, but to not want to work with this team, he needs to get traded and maybe we can bring in Darius for him or something.
    When it s all said and done, you ll have to admit we re number 1!

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678