Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: no rhythm

TheAnimal93 is offline Team Alumni

no rhythm

"dan3ski" wrote:
    Well first of all Tice has said many time the Vikings are not a running team. Guess what? That makes them a one demensional team and boy do defenses love that.
    i hear ya there! so what to do? they cant be that dumb can they? we have success when we run, so why not run?

muchluv4smoot is offline Team Alumni

no rhythm

I can't beleive we are talking about daunte's flaws being what is hurting this team. Look at what the guy has done for this team this season, without moss for a good part of it too. It really isn't fair to judge him, after facing the #2 defense in the league. Give them some credit for their coverage. They did show the coverage on some of those plays where he had all day, and our receivers were blanketed.

I think some of the problem is, we run the slowest developing plays in the league. Our receivers run long routes that take forever to develope. If they then get covered, we are in trouble. We need to run more quick slants and outs, and those type of quick patterns. Then we can run some double move routes to get deep.

Another problem is teams have been able to stop our run with 7 in the box. We haven't forced teams to bring 8 into the box this year. they have stopped us from running, and we have stopped ourselves by not running enough.

These are a few reasons why it looks like daunte might be missing open WR's when he is standing in the pocket for so long. Sure there are times where he does, but it isn't anywhere near as bad as some of you guys make it out to be.

Fact is defense wins championships, and until we fix our crappy D, it doesn't matter if daunte throws to every open WR on every play, we won't win in the playoffs and make it to the super bowl. Watch manning and the colts, they aren't going anywhere this year, and they have a QB playing the greatest season ever for a QB. That should show everyone how important a good D is compared to a good offense.

no rhythm

First of all, the Vikings seem to rely on their QB way too much. The running game was non existent today, and I am not sure if we even have a defense. Second, The whole football team is out of rythym. When the offense gets going, the defense can't stop anyone. When the defense (very rarely) gets going, our offense slows down. And I'm sure if both somehow were working properly, our special teams would find a way to screw it up.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

no rhythm

The Vikes have no rhythm...and they are giving us Vike fans the blues!

But seriously, at the game today, I couldn't help but notice how long Daunte holds onto the ball...he waits too long for receivers to get open...resulting in him having to scramble or get sacked. He needs to throw more timing patterns so that the ball gets out in time for the offense to be able to move efficiently...the aforementioned rhythm. Until Linehan and Tice stress that in practice and in games, Culpepper will have to continue to rely on his athleticism to make plays...and that will continue to wreak havoc on the offensive flow that this team needs to be successful.

As for the defense...that could take all day to explain.
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

no rhythm

"cajunvike" wrote:
    The Vikes have no rhythm...and they are giving us Vike fans the blues!

But seriously, at the game today, I couldn't help but notice how long Daunte holds onto the ball...he waits too long for receivers to get open...resulting in him having to scramble or get sacked. He needs to throw more timing patterns so that the ball gets out in time for the offense to be able to move efficiently...the aforementioned rhythm. Until Linehan and Tice stress that in practice and in games, Culpepper will have to continue to rely on his athleticism to make plays...and that will continue to wreak havoc on the offensive flow that this team needs to be successful.

As for the defense...that could take all day to explain.
    thanks cajun,
    just what i was looking for. i know that daunte can make and does make these throws. do you think that he is still gunshy from the giants game so many weeks ago. #11 lacks the confidence to stick it in there when the receivers are not looking and trust that they will be there and catch the ball if its not thrown perfect.
    FOR ALL OUT THERE, I AM NOT BASHING DAUNTE!!!!! i love the PEP and he is awesome, and has made incredible plays but there has been something wrong with the O, cant argue that(i am sure someone can)and i have been racking my brain over and over to try and figure it out. since i cant go to games i have to rely on what i hear and see. i SEE daunte dropping back and that clock goes off in my head.....one two three, ok get rid of the ball. GET RID OF THE BALLL......DAUNTE DAMNIT, GET....RID...OF ...THE BALL!!!!!! so when he doesnt i wonder why. i wonder if moss dogs it more than you can see on tv, i wonder if N8 and robinson, wiggy, ont or mike or moore ARE covered, i wonder if daunte is lacking confidence to make the throw. then when i saw the matchup show on espn and jaws pointed this out i wanted to explore it further. i respect peoples opinions but i have to make the final summation myself(throw a little jargon in there for ya cajun). and who doesnt? so forgive me for not having a more eloquent manner and putting the words in the right way as not to bash anyone(but linehan)lol
    thanks for the reply mr.3000 aka cajun
    somebody asked if you had any voodoo you could send the peckers way!!!

Freya is offline Team Alumni

no rhythm

I agree, well said Cajun!

Personally, I don't think there is intelligent life on other planets. Why should other planets be any different from this one?

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

no rhythm

VCD,

While at the game, I noticed that Daunte had the flare routes open (backs coming out of the backfield) but he seemingly ignored them, instead preferring to look downfield for receivers that were covered...at some point he has to give up on the big play and dump the ball to a back...by the time he finally looked at Ontarrio or Bennett, the LBs had picked them up too and Pep either had to run or eat the ball and take a sack or throw it away.

As far as the VOODOO is concerned, we all know that stuff doesn't work... :wink:
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

no rhythm

I tell you what, it wasn't just this last game, that they have lacked rhythm. It has been the whole losing streak 3-7 ending.

After the first 5-6 weeks, other teams found our weaknesses and exploited them on D.

I think on O, we started to sputter when Randy went down. I think that we tried to hard when all we needed to do was play football. We tried to compensate for Moss being out.

No one respects our D and it shows. Even Kyle Boller would be confident to pass against our D. Confidence is a huge boost in a pesons play.

bleedpurple is offline Ring of Fame

no rhythm

Fact is our offense has been bad since Randy came back....we only put up like 30 points once since he's been back. We actuall went what? 2-3 when he was out but since he came back our offense has been terrible...

It also doesn't hurt that we don't run the ball...it seems when we run we don't run very well and don't stick with it...

as soon as we get down by 3 or 7 we start throwing like we're out of the game...

FACT IS, we need to run the ball more and mix it up....like run on second down more to keep that horrible defense off the field

I would think with that big offensive line and 4 good runningbacks and a horrible defense we'd run the ball more...

I don't care if we have to start MOE WILLIAMS to get some tough yards...fact is we need a more ball controlled offense to limit the other teams posessions and keep our d off the field

you'd think they'd have tried to do that by now...

PLUS our play-calling on both sides of the ball stinks..

no rhythm

also what is with all these intermediate to long routes? save those for the bombs to moss. the one to campbell. i havent seen that bomb since week one. i hope that they were saving it for now. when i started the thread about linehan this is why. but i dint know exactly what to pin it on because you cant see the whole field on tv. so i dint want to say anything about daunte. his stats are amazing but he still has some badges to earn. this week is shold be a proving ground on how daunte will be able to mature and take it to the next level. a champion!!!!

and the same goes for moss, tice, linehan, and cottrell. they all have something to prove and i am sure they know this, lets see if they can make it come to fruition.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast