Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: no rhythm

TheAnimal93 is offline Team Alumni

no rhythm

i was watching the nfl matchup show and JAWS pointed out a very good point. viking offense does not have a sense of timing and rhythm. he pointed out one example of it in the pack game. daunte drops back to pass and is in the pocket for over 4 seconds and has not thrown the ball. N8 was knocked to the ground on the play and daunte made one of his fantastic plays eventually to N8 for a nice gain.
    On the play i saw that he could have thrown the ball to any one of the rest of his receivers and did not. his unwillingness to dump the ball off and take what the defense gives him may be what is really ailing the vikes.

i am not saying that daunte always does this, but he does do it at critical times in the game. in the early part of the season he did a much better job at taking what is given. and sticking to it. not so much in the losses that they have had.
    can this be translated directly into the losses? am i grasping at straws or does daunte need a lot more maturation at QB? isnt there some kind of rite of passage that all qb's have to go through and get over these obstacles before you can reach for the golden ring? like young was getting by dallas and montana, favres' monkey was SF, mcnabbs seems to be the champ game, so on and so forth. but some qb's seem to have all the pieces in place and cruise ala tom brady, big ben(so far). it seems to me we have a good piece of the puzzle together and we definitely should be better than we are even with all the injuries. if the o line we have now can block that long for daunte, receivers are open, the d does draw a line in the sand where does the accountability fall?
    it is true that the O some times lacks the sense of timing when it comes to putting teams away, keeping drives alive?
    so knowing all of this why do we pass 70% of the time? that seems too much to me, sounds like mike martz is coaching this team.
    we need more balance.

no rhythm

I also question Daunte's decision making abilities at times. I mean, yes he does have the highest completion percentage in the league and some fantastic stats, but that does not translate into wins, which shows. I just wonder how many times our guys are open or there can be a tough throw made for a huge play and Daunte doesnt make the throw because he doesnt see it or is scared to throw ints. In the beginning of this year, he did look like he was coming along and almost looked like a Favre or Manning in how quick he was reading the field and his numbers were insane. Even with Randys injury, he seemed to be alright. That loss to the Giants really screwed him up I think - when he threw 3 ints. I think a lot of Dauntes problems are mental and I think he will continue to get better like he has each year. Also, our O coordinator sucks, so when Daunte passes, the whole defense probably knows already. Whatever the problem be, our offense needs to step it up and start playing better ball in the 2nd half because we are as good as anyone when our offense gets going like it should.

Sig Created by MinnesotaFury

majorvikesfan is offline Waterboy

no rhythm

I aggree, our offense is out of rythm alot and Daunte holds on to the ball way to long at times, I believe he has trouble reading the field; he doesn't see the open guy soon enough. Then he ends up running for his life because the Oline can only hold for so long. On the other side of the coin, our defense needs to step it up and hold somebody. When we score over 20 points a game we really should be wining more. Defense is the real problem.

no rhythm

"majorvikesfan" wrote:
    I aggree, our offense is out of rythm alot and Daunte holds on to the ball way to long at times, I believe he has trouble reading the field; he doesn't see the open guy soon enough. Then he ends up running for his life because the Oline can only hold for so long. On the other side of the coin, our defense needs to step it up and hold somebody. When we score over 20 points a game we really should be wining more. Defense is the real problem.

agree to a certain point maj,
    b4 the lions game the vikes D gave up only 26 total 2nd half points in 6 games. they did a pretty damn good job the last two games until the last minutes of both games. we have two players with ddl digit sacks, the first time since 93. doleman/randle. for all the plays that #29 has been burned on he has made that many great plays. winfield is a tackling machine. yes, many mistakes are made but the offense hasnt put up squat in the second half in many of the losses.
    the defense cant continually stay out on the field in the second half and win. i dont care if you have the ravens d, steelers d, whoever. you cant leave them out there. did buffalos' d get that much better than they already were?
    daunte has to stay out on the field and keep drives alive by taking what the defense gives him. he just has to. with all the points being scored we should be leading in time of possession too by a wide margin. but we are not. that one drive that the pack had was over 8 minutes. the vikes had one of those too, but the O left the D on the field for most of the 2nd quarter. legs get tired. bdub is on sp teams, his legs are extra tired. you just cant expect to remain a high powered offense without a running game. clinton portis for all the injuries he has had still has more rushing yards than the entire viking team. somethiing wrong with that.

no rhythm

"majorvikesfan" wrote:

agree to a certain point maj,
    b4 the lions game the vikes D gave up only 26 total 2nd half points in 6 games. they did a pretty damn good job the last two games until the last minutes of both games. we have two players with ddl digit sacks, the first time since 93. doleman/randle. for all the plays that #29 has been burned on he has made that many great plays. winfield is a tackling machine. yes, many mistakes are made but the offense hasnt put up squat in the second half in many of the losses.
    the defense cant continually stay out on the field in the second half and win. i dont care if you have the ravens d, steelers d, whoever. you cant leave them out there. did buffalos' d get that much better than they already were?
    daunte has to stay out on the field and keep drives alive by taking what the defense gives him. he just has to. with all the points being scored we should be leading in time of possession too by a wide margin. but we are not. that one drive that the pack had was over 8 minutes. the vikes had one of those too, but the O left the D on the field for most of the 2nd quarter. legs get tired. bdub is on sp teams, his legs are extra tired. you just cant expect to remain a high powered offense without a running game. clinton portis for all the injuries he has had still has more rushing yards than the entire viking team. somethiing wrong with that.

no rhythm

You make some excellent points Vikes can do. I agree with all of them; our Defense has been great at times, especially in the second half of games as you pointed out. My question would be where were they in the first half of those games? You have to be consistent for 60 minutes on D, not just 30, otherwise the opponent gets a big lead on us and all we end up doing is trying to play catchup and do away with the running game.

no rhythm

very good point. which comes first, the D not holding or the O not staying on the field? the vikes have not looked very good on both sides of the ball and we could argue these points i guess til the day we die or win a damn super bowl. let us hope that the latter comes true first!!! they need to hurry, i aint gettin any younger!!! been waitin since 70. man that is 34 years. geez, am i crazy or what? i dont think so. its called loyalty. love my vikes do or die. 15-1 or 5-11. lose on the last play of the game or win going away

GO VIKINGS!!!!!!!!

no rhythm

I hear ya vikes can do. I've been waiting since 68 myself. Will be a vikes fan to the grave.

no rhythm

well major did u see any more of what JAWS speaks? i cant believe that i saw more of this. he holds the ball way too long, having to scramble and make a play. i think this leads to all of the other problems. and the playcalling also. we could have worked more to their weaknesses. they had a rookie in the secondary didnt they?
    then when we get behind daunte really struggles. he has to have the confidence. he has to believe in what he has, use it for all of its glory and relish in the fact that he is the driver of one hell of a nice car.

dan3ski is offline Coordinator

no rhythm

Well first of all Tice has said many time the Vikings are not a running team. Guess what? That makes them a one demensional team and boy do defenses love that.
    can we clone Bud Grant?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast