Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

No Daunte, no Randy, now what?

[size=18px]Vikings: No Daunte, no Randy, now what? [/size]

May 30, 2006

Questions, questions: All 32 NFL teams have them heading into the 2006 season. Today, we're addressing the Vikings' burning question:

What's in store for the "cleaned-house" offense?

The Vikings fans in the Twin Cities who bought Daunte Culpepper and Randy Moss jerseys thought they were making good long-term investments. A few heated conversations, misdemeanors and ill-fated boat trips later, the team abandoned its two biggest names to save a sinking ship.

So now that Minnesota's powers who be think the Vikings have a sharper image, how will the offense come into focus without Daunte or Randy? It's a good thing owner Zygi Wilf had some money to spend on his dome-improvement project.

It started with the change at coach to Brad Childress, one of the game's brightest offensive minds. Former Ravens backup back Chester Taylor was quickly signed and was just as quickly anointed the starter, ending a long stretch of a "committee" approach.

Then came the biggest splash, breaking the bank for the game's top guard, former Seahawk Steve Hutchinson, which in a sense also cost the team wide receiver Nate Burleson, who was signed by Seattle in a retaliation move.

Hutchinson blocked Shaun Alexander's way to MVP last season, and he will be key in springing Taylor this season. Taylor can run hard between the tackles, catch passes, make plays in the open field and score in the red zone -- all things the Vikings used to need many backs to do.

Look for them to run several play to Hutchinson's area, which will be flanked nicely by massive left tackle Bryant McKinnie and center Matt Birk, whose return from injury is vital to the line's cohesiveness.

OK, now let's get to life after Culpepper at quarterback, two years removed from Moss at wide receiver. Culpepper's Vikes' tenure really ended with his season-ending knee injury last season, so Brad Johnson has settled into the job again after nine straight starts.

Johnson threw TD passes in only five of those starts, but more importantly, he went 7-2 to nearly push the team into the playoffs. Johnson always has been more substance than style and is a smart, efficient leader. Whether his 37-year-old, battered body can hold up is a big question, especially behind a line that's better built for run blocking.

As for the wide receivers, Troy Williamson and Koren Robinson have potential to provide a 1-2 punch as speedy downfield threats, but when you throw them into the mix with Travis Taylor, Marcus Robinson and the tight ends, it's a not a unit that inspires fear in opponents.

So, expect this team to perform much like '05 Raiders or '05 Browns, with a lot of offense consistently churning through its running back, but there won't be enough big plays from the passing game or defense to get it to .500.

For the first critical look at the 2006 Minnesota Vikings, go to the Vikings Offseason Support Group in Pro Football War Room.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

Re: No Daunte, no Randy, now what?

wont get past .500 because of passing game or defense???

k-rob, marcus robinson, travis taylor & t-will?

and our defense.......? plz

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

ChiTownVike is offline Hall of Famer

"singersp" wrote:
    [size=18px]Vikings No Daunte, no Randy, now what? [/size]

May 30, 2006

Questions, questions All 32 NFL teams have them heading into the 2006 season. Today, we're addressing the Vikings' burning question

What's in store for the "cleaned-house" offense?

The Vikings fans in the Twin Cities who bought Daunte Culpepper and Randy Moss jerseys thought they were making good long-term investments. A few heated conversations, misdemeanors and ill-fated boat trips later, the team abandoned its two biggest names to save a sinking ship.

So now that Minnesota's powers who be think the Vikings have a sharper image, how will the offense come into focus without Daunte or Randy? It's a good thing owner Zygi Wilf had some money to spend on his dome-improvement project.

It started with the change at coach to Brad Childress, one of the game's brightest offensive minds. Former Ravens backup back Chester Taylor was quickly signed and was just as quickly anointed the starter, ending a long stretch of a "committee" approach.

Then came the biggest splash, breaking the bank for the game's top guard, former Seahawk Steve Hutchinson, which in a sense also cost the team wide receiver Nate Burleson, who was signed by Seattle in a retaliation move.

Hutchinson blocked Shaun Alexander's way to MVP last season, and he will be key in springing Taylor this season. Taylor can run hard between the tackles, catch passes, make plays in the open field and score in the red zone -- all things the Vikings used to need many backs to do.

Look for them to run several play to Hutchinson's area, which will be flanked nicely by massive left tackle Bryant McKinnie and center Matt Birk, whose return from injury is vital to the line's cohesiveness.

OK, now let's get to life after Culpepper at quarterback, two years removed from Moss at wide receiver. Culpepper's Vikes' tenure really ended with his season-ending knee injury last season, so Brad Johnson has settled into the job again after nine straight starts.

Johnson threw TD passes in only five of those starts, but more importantly, he went 7-2 to nearly push the team into the playoffs. Johnson always has been more substance than style and is a smart, efficient leader. Whether his 37-year-old, battered body can hold up is a big question, especially behind a line that's better built for run blocking.

As for the wide receivers, Troy Williamson and Koren Robinson have potential to provide a 1-2 punch as speedy downfield threats, but when you throw them into the mix with Travis Taylor, Marcus Robinson and the tight ends, it's a not a unit that inspires fear in opponents.

So, expect this team to perform much like '05 Raiders or '05 Browns, with a lot of offense consistently churning through its running back, but there won't be enough big plays from the passing game or defense to get it to .500.

For the first critical look at the 2006 Minnesota Vikings, go to the Vikings Offseason Support Group in Pro Football War Room.

Troy Williamson, I think, will have a HUGE year this year. I dunno know about you guys, but I think our defense is darn good and we have just enought offense to be an above .5000 team

Thank you Josdin for the sig

Wiggles67 is offline Coordinator

.500 this year and I will be happy with all the changes that have taken place this off season I think that would be a heck of a feat for this franchise

"I choose my company by the beating of their hearts, not the swelling of their heads"

2beersTommy is offline Team Alumni

No Daunte, No Randy..No Problem(s)

triedandtruevikesfan is offline Jersey Retired

What a bunch of crap. We were above .500 last year and most of that was with Brad leading the team. We survived year 1 without Moss and year 1/2 without D.C. Maybe we're not superbowl bound THIS year, but we will survive WITH a winning record!

jaymz7 is offline Asst. Coach

In the this era when teams are going from 3 wins one year to a deep playoff charge or superbowl the next how can anyone predict what a team will do.

The Vikes were predicted as a superbowl continder last year, but nobody could have guessed they would play as bad as they did at the start or the injuries they would have.

I am a bit of a realist and I can see they Vikes finishing .500, but I also know they could get a few breaks and suprise a few teams and finish the season with 10 or 11 wins. You never no which team is going to have an off game or sustain a major injury. Thats why they play all the games.

I am just excited to see the Vikes making positive changes to the whole team. I will enjoy watching the new guys as well as the returning players adjust to the new offense and defense schemes and hope they are the next team to go from worst to first.

Anything could happen.

Go Vikes!

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

"Wiggles67" wrote:
    .500 this year and I will be happy with all the changes that have taken place this off season I think that would be a heck of a feat for this franchise
    I think 8-8 is the benchmark this year. 8-8 is a successful season...with anything above that being impressive and anything below being disappointing.

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Most of you are too young to remember old-time Big 10 Football. It used to be called "4 Yards And A Cloud Of Dust." That's because everything was predicated on the running game and if they averaged 4 yards per play they could keep the ball moving. That kinda the way I see the Vikings this year. Oh ya, you're gonna see some long passes but it's gonna be a running game first with some dinks and dunks thrown in to keep the defense on their tows. It may not be the most exciting football in the world to watch, but if it works it will win a LOT of games.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"Ltrey33" wrote:
    "Wiggles67" wrote:
    I think 8-8 is the benchmark this year. 8-8 is a successful season...with anything above that being impressive and anything below being disappointing.
    IMO, I don't think 8-8 is a successful season. You play to win, no excuses.

The assistant coaches are much better than the malcontents Tice had to work with, the O-line has improved wih Hutch & Birk is back.

Sharper, Smoot & Winfield are still in the backfield. We pretty much the same corp of recievers with K-Rob being a starter.

We have a better kicker (supposedly) & people like Chester Taylor more than Bennett.

So there is absolutely no reason we shouldn't finish better than last year.

8-8 would be a travisty.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast