Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: Nice article on Jackson

"Marrdro" wrote:

All well and good and respectable players, however, how many of those cats got us to the promised land and are of the ilk that StillPurple is pining for?

Answer: None of them. ;D

Comeon my friend.
    His problem is he can't wait for this team to develop, especially in the QB area.
    Lets take a look at stats from TJ, JDB, etc etc etc in a five year window.
    My guess is that thier stats will cause those of those has beens to pale.

Again, nice effort but none of those guys is what he is describing above.
    Well, if the promised land is the SB, then none of them or none of the current crop so I am not sure where you are going with that one.

If the promised land is a .500 record then maybe 50%. How about that current crop. Anyone got us to .500 yet?

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

All well and good and respectable players, however, how many of those cats got us to the promised land and are of the ilk that StillPurple is pining for?

Comeon my friend.
    His problem is he can't wait for this team to develop, especially in the QB area.

Well, if the promised land is the SB, then none of them or none of the current crop so I am not sure where you are going with that one.

If the promised land is a .500 record then maybe 50%. How about that current crop. Anyone got us to .500 yet?
    Sounds to me like Marr is changing his tune a bit. At first he said in the past regime & back to 1999, no new young guys were brought in & the Vikings relied solely on the laurels of Culpepper & some older vets.

Now he's stating that none of them got us to the promised land? That was beside the point & not what the discussion was about. It was about bringing young guys in to groom instead of a flurry of aged vets. Now he's looking for proven winners? We have shown that they indeed have done that. They may have been UDFA insteaded of draft picks, but they were brought in to be groomed nevertheless & did make the roster along with the others.

Whether or not those young QB's panned out is a moot point.

The promised land is a moot point as well. A SB victory does not rely solely on a QB. It is a team sport & you must have not only good solid players, but players who can play as a team & be solid on both offense.

To go along with the above, you must also have good coaches in place who can manage the game smartly & make game plan changes on the fly to counter anything our opponents are throwing at us on the field.

We did not have that in those years. During our high-powered offensive scoring years there were many games where we scored 30+ points & still lost the game.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Viking_Cheef is offline Waterboy

"StillPurple" wrote:
    Don't get me wrong, I like Tarvaris. I like his arm strength and his movement. I like the way he has carried himself through the whole Favre circus.

But at the same time, I would really rather be in the situation of us having a proven playoff QB, and the commentators saying "well, if they can stay healthy and just execute, they should make the NFC Championship", rather than people here writing that we should "give Tarvaris a chance" and "be optimistic", etc. There is a difference between knowledge and faith, and I would rather have knowledge.

I mean, look around the NFL at almost any team. They almost all have QBs who went to big-time I-A colleges and who have proven themselves already in the NFL. Need I name names (Manning, Brady, Brees, Romo, Hasselbeck, Roethlisberger, etc, etc.). When I put "Jackson" up there, I just can't overcome the feeling that we are in trouble.

Imagine we are playing Seattle or Dallas in the playoffs, and we are down by 13. We need our QB to engineer a long drive, and then another one, and the defense knows we have to throw it.

I just don't have faith that we get that done. It is one thing to hand off to AP when we are ahead. Quite another to come back from down 13 vs. Hasselbeck or Romo in the playoffs.
    Your list of QB's here does not seem right.
    IMO Romo, Roethlisberger, and E. Manning didnt go to "Big Time" 1-A schools

Marino and Favre did not go to "Big Time" schools and they seemed to turn out well

Blog Entries

"Viking_Cheef" wrote:
    "StillPurple" wrote:
    Don't get me wrong, I like Tarvaris. I like his arm strength and his movement. I like the way he has carried himself through the whole Favre circus.

But at the same time, I would really rather be in the situation of us having a proven playoff QB, and the commentators saying "well, if they can stay healthy and just execute, they should make the NFC Championship", rather than people here writing that we should "give Tarvaris a chance" and "be optimistic", etc. There is a difference between knowledge and faith, and I would rather have knowledge.

I mean, look around the NFL at almost any team. They almost all have QBs who went to big-time I-A colleges and who have proven themselves already in the NFL. Need I name names (Manning, Brady, Brees, Romo, Hasselbeck, Roethlisberger, etc, etc.). When I put "Jackson" up there, I just can't overcome the feeling that we are in trouble.

Imagine we are playing Seattle or Dallas in the playoffs, and we are down by 13. We need our QB to engineer a long drive, and then another one, and the defense knows we have to throw it.

I just don't have faith that we get that done. It is one thing to hand off to AP when we are ahead. Quite another to come back from down 13 vs. Hasselbeck or Romo in the playoffs.

Marino and Favre did not go to "Big Time" schools and they seemed to turn out well
    I believe his comparison was that they were big time compared to the school Jackson went to. I think that is a fair statement.

Blog Entries

"singersp" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

Comeon my friend.

Sounds to me like Marr is changing his tune a bit. At first he said in the past regime & back to 1999, no new young guys were brought in & the Vikings relied solely on the laurels of Culpepper & some older vets.

Now he's stating that none of them got us to the promised land? That was beside the point & not what the discussion was about. It was about bringing young guys in to groom instead of a flurry of aged vets. Now he's looking for proven winners? We have shown that they indeed have done that. They may have been UDFA insteaded of draft picks, but they were brought in to be groomed nevertheless & did make the roster along with the others.

Whether or not those young QB's panned out is a moot point.

The promised land is a moot point as well. A SB victory does not rely solely on a QB. It is a team sport & you must have not only good solid players, but players who can play as a team & be solid on both offense.

To go along with the above, you must also have good coaches in place who can manage the game smartly & make game plan changes on the fly to counter anything our opponents are throwing at us on the field.

We did not have that in those years. During our high-powered offensive scoring years there were many games where we scored 30+ points & still lost the game.
    Grasping at straws lol.

Viking_Cheef is offline Waterboy

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "Viking_Cheef" wrote:
    "StillPurple" wrote:

I believe his comparison was that they were big time compared to the school Jackson went to. I think that is a fair statement.
    That is a little better but Romo did attend 1-AA Eastern Illinois which is no more big time then Alabama State.
    T-Jack did initially go to U of Arkansas a 1-A school.

Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

The big thing about Jackson is not what school he went to.. its the fact that we expected him to learn behind Brad Johnson for around 2 seasons before getting his feet wet.
    Well, a hell of a lot earlier than that, not only did he get his feet well, he got pushed into the damn deep end before being taught how to swim.

I could keep up with the water metaphors, but I think I'll stop there.
    Blame Michael Phelps

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234