Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Json is offline GM

Re: Nice article on Jackson

Don't get me wrong, I like Tarvaris. I like his arm strength and his movement. I like the way he has carried himself through the whole Favre circus.

But at the same time, I would really rather be in the situation of us having a proven playoff QB, and the commentators saying "well, if they can stay healthy and just execute, they should make the NFC Championship", rather than people here writing that we should "give Tarvaris a chance" and "be optimistic", etc. There is a difference between knowledge and faith, and I would rather have knowledge.

I mean, look around the NFL at almost any team. They almost all have QBs who went to big-time I-A colleges and who have proven themselves already in the NFL. Need I name names (Manning, Brady, Brees, Romo, Hasselbeck, Roethlisberger, etc, etc.). When I put "Jackson" up there, I just can't overcome the feeling that we are in trouble.

Imagine we are playing Seattle or Dallas in the playoffs, and we are down by 13. We need our QB to engineer a long drive, and then another one, and the defense knows we have to throw it.

I just don't have faith that we get that done. It is one thing to hand off to AP when we are ahead. Quite another to come back from down 13 vs. Hasselbeck or Romo in the playoffs.

Dont worry, everyone knows Romo cant win in the playoffs.
    LMAO!

seaniemck7 is offline Hall of Famer

I have a $100 bet with a buddy that TJack will have a better QB rating than Jason Campbell this year.
    I am pumped to watch him play this year.

happy camper is offline Team Alumni

"StillPurple" wrote:
    Don't get me wrong, I like Tarvaris. I like his arm strength and his movement. I like the way he has carried himself through the whole Favre circus.

But at the same time, I would really rather be in the situation of us having a proven playoff QB, and the commentators saying "well, if they can stay healthy and just execute, they should make the NFC Championship", rather than people here writing that we should "give Tarvaris a chance" and "be optimistic", etc. There is a difference between knowledge and faith, and I would rather have knowledge.

I mean, look around the NFL at almost any team. They almost all have QBs who went to big-time I-A colleges and who have proven themselves already in the NFL. Need I name names (Manning, Brady, Brees, Romo, Hasselbeck, Roethlisberger, etc, etc.). When I put "Jackson" up there, I just can't overcome the feeling that we are in trouble.

Imagine we are playing Seattle or Dallas in the playoffs, and we are down by 13. We need our QB to engineer a long drive, and then another one, and the defense knows we have to throw it.

I just don't have faith that we get that done. It is one thing to hand off to AP when we are ahead. Quite another to come back from down 13 vs. Hasselbeck or Romo in the playoffs.
    I would rather have this quarterbacks you mentioned as well.

But we don't have them. Some teams have to make it through with what they have.

I never thought Eli Manning could win the superbowl. Eli frickin' Manning.
    "There is good and there is evil. And evil must be punished. Even in the face of Armageddon I will not compromise."

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"StillPurple" wrote:

So let me get this straight.....You want the following.....

a.
    You want some team to draft a 1-A QB, groom him for 4 or 5 years.
    b.
    You then want that FO to release that guy after investing that many years in that guy.
    c.
    You probably also want that very same FO to groom a second QB of this nature and let him go as well.
    d.
    Then you want this FO to go out and sign that guy.

Comeon my friend.
    It just doesn't work that way.
    Any team that has a young QB with promise (GB, Dallas, Cleveland) is resigning those guys and letting thier has beens and never was's go the way of FA.
    Any team that has a QB that still have some life in him are retaining his services (except GB).

Long story short, we are in this mess cause the last regime refused to grow QB's.
    TJ will be proven at the end of this year and we will have at least JDB in the pipeline for the future if needed.
    Given time we will have several QBs in various stages of development and we won't have to worry about this anymore.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Formo is offline Team Alumni

"StillPurple" wrote:

While I respect your concern of the uncertainty of T-Jack...
    There's no such thing as having certainty in a QB.
    Someone already mentioned Eli Manning..

Look, no matter who you have behind center, you'll ALWAYS have to have faith.
    You can claim to have knowledge of a QBs ability, but you can never forsee their upcoming season.
    Vegans are eating the rainforests. =(

StillPurple is offline Hall of Famer

Yes, and those teams that don't have good QBs don't advance in the playoffs. Let's just say it is what it is.

I do think the Vikings could still advance, based on one or more of the following:

a. Really, really "sick" defense (the kind the Ravens had when they won it)
    b. Us not falling behind in games
    :
    c. Tarvaris being just good enough - a la Eli Manning ('driving the bus')

Could happen...

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "StillPurple" wrote:

So let me get this straight.....You want the following.....

a.
    You want some team to draft a 1-A QB, groom him for 4 or 5 years.
    b.
    You then want that FO to release that guy after investing that many years in that guy.
    c.
    You probably also want that very same FO to groom a second QB of this nature and let him go as well.
    d.
    Then you want this FO to go out and sign that guy.

Comeon my friend.
    It just doesn't work that way.
    Any team that has a young QB with promise (GB, Dallas, Cleveland) is resigning those guys and letting thier has beens and never was's go the way of FA.
    Any team that has a QB that still have some life in him are retaining his services (except GB).

Long story short, we are in this mess cause the last regime refused to grow QB's.
    TJ will be proven at the end of this year and we will have at least JDB in the pipeline for the future if needed.
    Given time we will have several QBs in various stages of development and we won't have to worry about this anymore.

I understand what you are saying, but the part about blaming the last regime for refusing to grow QB's is just plain wrong. They had a QB in Culpepper who was a Pro bowler in 2004 and was in his prime. They backed him up with veterans who could come in and win if they were called on and they usually had a young guy on the roster as a third stringer.

When Culpepper got hurt in 2005 they had Johnson as a backup who came in and played great in relief. That situation is not all that different from where we are now except that Culpepper had more experience than Jackson and had also been tested, where Jackson is still largely unproven.

The last regime always made sure they had veteran QB's on the roster that they knew could run the offense if the starter faltered and when Green was here he had a system ( Or more accurately the personnel) that he could bring in a QB in the offseason and by the time the season rolled around they would be able to run it. None of this half a decade learning curve stuff that we get fed from the current staff.

DaunteHOF is offline Coach

tjack will be wat mike vick was supposed to be...watch
    Its not braggin if you can do it!!!

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

“You throw another (expletive) pick, I’m gonna come out there and choke you right on the sidelines,” Williams told Jackson.

Everything I wanted to say to him last year.
    8)

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"DaunteHOF" wrote:
    tjack will be wat mike vick was supposed to be...watch

You mean the best pit bull breeder in the world?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast