Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Nice article on Childress

http://proxy.espn.go.com/nfl/insider/columns/story?columnist=green_jeremy&id=2325679

[size=18px]Edwards, Childress have built-in advantages[/size]
    By Jeremy Green
    ESPN Insider

At the end of the NFL's regular season, there are always a lot of changes. In addition to player movement, there will be changes to coaching staffs and front offices. However, in recent history we have never seen anything like what happened after the 2005 season. By the time the dust settled, there were 10 head coaching vacancies to be filled.

To date, nine of those openings have been filled. Some look like great hires. In other instances, you kind of scratch your head and wonder, "What was this team thinking?"

Any time there is a lot of movement within the NFL, there is going to be a lot of talk. "Was this a good hire, was this a bad hire?" Truth be told, nobody will really know until two to three years from right now.

As an owner and GM, when you hire a head coach, there are certain things you're looking for. You want a coach who can relate well to players and other key people in the organization. When possible, you would like to find a coach whose philosophies are similar to the personnel you have in place. This will make for a much quicker transition on the field.

Perhaps most importantly, you want to find a man who is extremely organized and can put a solid staff together. Although the head coach is the man in charge, he can only be as good as those who work for him.

This is why most coaches having success today came from the Bill Walsh tree. Nobody was better than Walsh in terms of letting his assistants coach. Those assistants have now gone on and formed their own trees, so to speak.

In looking at this season's hires, I see four organizations that did an outstanding job of going out and getting the right fit. These new head coaches are a solid fit with their organization's philosophies, and they did a good job of finding solid coordinators whose philosophies fit their own.

Minnesota Vikings -- After the Chiefs, no team is as poised for a quicker turnaround than the Vikings. New owner Zigi Wilf knew what he wanted and went out and got it. In new head coach Brad Childress, the Vikings landed the most detail-oriented coach of all the candidates this offseason.

Childress is a disciple of the West Coast offense, and a lot of the pieces are in place to make the offense go. Starting QB Daunte Culpepper has played in a form of this offense under head coaches Dennis Green and Mike Tice. Although Childress is more apt to run the offense's original version, many of the concepts and terminology will be similar. Culpepper's backup, Brad Johnson, likely will begin the season as the starter due to Culpepper's knee injury. Johnson played in this exact system in Tampa Bay, so his learning curve will be minuscule.

Offensively, Minnesota will need to find a running back who fits the West Coast offense. The Vikings have a plethora of backs, but Michael Bennett is an unrestricted free agent, Onterrio Smith is coming off a one-year ban and Mewelde Moore is injury-prone. Look for Minnesota to try to find a back in the mold of Philadelphia's Brian Westbrook to complete the offense.

On defense, Childress hired one of the brightest young stars in the NFL when he lured Tampa Bay defensive backs coach Mike Tomlin to Minnesota. Tomlin will coordinate a defense with a lot of players who fit his system.

Up front, Pat Williams is a perfect fit at nose tackle. With Williams eating up blocks, it will free up Kevin Williams to become a Warren Sapp-type playmaker.

Some upgrades will need to be made at linebacker. In Tomlin's system, E.J. Henderson might be a better fit on the strong side than in the middle.

In the secondary, DC Antoine Winfield will make a smooth transition. Despite his lack of size, Winfield is as physical as they come.

Although all the parts aren't in place, this is a talented team with a disciplined head coach. Look for the Vikes to make a quick turnaround and challenge in the NFC North.

My note: "Challange?" Heck, we're gonna win it going away!
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Re: Nice article on Childress

Nice find Cojomay.

I wonder why it didn't show up when I did a search for Childress earlier this morning.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

Nice read! I am glad that Wilf has a better business mind than Hillbilly McCombs.. Just think if he were like Red, we would either still have Tice, Cottrell may have moved in to be the HC, and we would have for sure lost Childress to the Packers..

Good job Wilf, now lead us to the Lombardi Trophy, and lets put a little Purple Pride into the Championship..

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

lets hope he is the right man for the job. he for4 sure has a head start as he was part of the team before the off season even started.
    We're bringing purple back.

Mr. Purple is offline Ring of Fame

He is the right man for the job. Awesome article, got me really pumped!

Theres NOTHING greater then a Florida Gator!
    "I promise everyone this. When Childress is let go in two years I can honestly say this.
    "I am not surprised"."-PurplePackerEater

DarrinNelsonguy is offline Team Alumni

Cannot wait for training camp to begin.
    "Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn t work hard."

Prophet Guest

Great article, gets me pumped for the season. I'm optimistic every offseason for various reasons. This offseason I feel my optimism is more justified and is a little lighter in 'purple shade' perception than usual. It will be fun to watch this team gel into a fine-tuned machine as the season progresses.

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

I agree Prophet. In the past when changes were made it looked to me like a sequal from the same old movie -- just different characters. This year I see a whole new story line, Acadamy Award winning actors, and a "Best Team" (Picture) award in the future!
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"Prophet" wrote:
    Great article, gets me pumped for the season. I'm optimistic every offseason for various reasons. This offseason I feel my optimism is more justified and is a little lighter in 'purple shade' perception than usual. It will be fun to watch this team gel into a fine-tuned machine as the season progresses.
    Alas! Now that were pumped for the next season, it will only make the
    off-season seem like eternity.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

Childress did an awesome job in Philly....There's no reason to think he won't do a great job here in MN as head coach..

I really like the idea of him picking and bringing in his own personal choices as far as Asst. Coaches and such..

We have a solid core of vets and young players, we can only improve on that during the free agency period and I'm also confident we will have a solid draft this year...

Personaly, I believe it was injurys and all the unwanted and un-needed extra affairs that went on that really hurt us this season....Also, our coaching was lacking in a big way...

I know I say it every year, well maybe not every year, but I'll say it now.....I think we are going to take the Central Back and go deep into the playoffs next year, if not onto the Super Bowl itself....

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast