Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 64
  1. #21
    midgensa's Avatar
    midgensa is offline Jersey Retired Free Kick Specialist 3 Champion
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    6,312

    Re: NFL speed throws Christian Ponder for a loop

    Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1103584
    Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1103573
    Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1103541
    Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1103540

    Quick question- Who was the experienced vet that Matt Ryan learned behind when Musgrave was developing him in Atlanta?
    How did Philip Rivers first season as a Charger work out for him?
    He completed 62.5% of his passes for a QB rating of 110.9:P
    BTW his career ratings are 63.7% completions and a QB rating of 97.2 so he was pretty much the QB he is right out of the box.Only his second year was under 60%.

    Your point being?

    on 8 attempts, but nice try.

    Rivers first year as a Charger starter? Was quite exceptional actually.

    Of course it was his third year in the league.

  2. #22
    Purple Floyd's Avatar
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    16,646
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: NFL speed throws Christian Ponder for a loop

    Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1103584
    Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1103573
    Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1103541
    Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1103540

    Quick question- Who was the experienced vet that Matt Ryan learned behind when Musgrave was developing him in Atlanta?
    How did Philip Rivers first season as a Charger work out for him?
    He completed 62.5% of his passes for a QB rating of 110.9:P
    BTW his career ratings are 63.7% completions and a QB rating of 97.2 so he was pretty much the QB he is right out of the box.Only his second year was under 60%.
    Your point being?
    on 8 attempts, but nice try.
    So what was your point?

  3. #23
    i_bleed_purple's Avatar
    i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Canadialand
    Posts
    16,777
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: NFL speed throws Christian Ponder for a loop

    Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1103587
    Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1103584
    Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1103573
    Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1103541
    Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1103540

    Quick question- Who was the experienced vet that Matt Ryan learned behind when Musgrave was developing him in Atlanta?
    How did Philip Rivers first season as a Charger work out for him?
    He completed 62.5% of his passes for a QB rating of 110.9:P
    BTW his career ratings are 63.7% completions and a QB rating of 97.2 so he was pretty much the QB he is right out of the box.Only his second year was under 60%.
    Your point being?
    on 8 attempts, but nice try.
    So what was your point?
    that he sat his ass on the bench for his first two seasons, and it worked terrifically for him.

  4. #24
    Purple Floyd's Avatar
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    16,646
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: NFL speed throws Christian Ponder for a loop

    Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1103594
    Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1103587
    Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1103584
    Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1103573
    Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1103541
    Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1103540

    Quick question- Who was the experienced vet that Matt Ryan learned behind when Musgrave was developing him in Atlanta?
    How did Philip Rivers first season as a Charger work out for him?
    He completed 62.5% of his passes for a QB rating of 110.9:P
    BTW his career ratings are 63.7% completions and a QB rating of 97.2 so he was pretty much the QB he is right out of the box.Only his second year was under 60%.
    Your point being?
    on 8 attempts, but nice try.
    So what was your point?
    that he sat his ass on the bench for his first two seasons, and it worked terrifically for him.
    Well, then my point was even when he played his rookie year he did pretty well and his numbers were right there with the numbers for the rest of his career so there is absolutely zero reason to assume he wouldn't have been just as successful right out of the gate.

    Do you have any examples of the staff saying that he wasn't ready in his rookie season so they were benching him?

  5. #25
    i_bleed_purple's Avatar
    i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Canadialand
    Posts
    16,777
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: NFL speed throws Christian Ponder for a loop

    Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1103605
    Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1103594
    Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1103587
    Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1103584
    Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1103573
    Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1103541
    Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1103540

    Quick question- Who was the experienced vet that Matt Ryan learned behind when Musgrave was developing him in Atlanta?
    How did Philip Rivers first season as a Charger work out for him?
    He completed 62.5% of his passes for a QB rating of 110.9:P
    BTW his career ratings are 63.7% completions and a QB rating of 97.2 so he was pretty much the QB he is right out of the box.Only his second year was under 60%.
    Your point being?
    on 8 attempts, but nice try.
    So what was your point?
    that he sat his ass on the bench for his first two seasons, and it worked terrifically for him.
    Well, then my point was even when he played his rookie year he did pretty well and his numbers were right there with the numbers for the rest of his career so there is absolutely zero reason to assume he wouldn't have been just as successful right out of the gate.

    Do you have any examples of the staff saying that he wasn't ready in his rookie season so they were benching him?
    The stats also say TJ is one of the all-time great QB's based on a handful of games where he had 3 attempts in mop-up duty.

    his rookie season is absolutely no indication of his skill. They sat him because they had a vet ahead of him, and wanted to grow him on the bench.

    BTW, Rivers was a top-5 pick, Ponder was #12, and most didn't even pick him as a top-5 QB in the class. Either way, both had alot to learn, but Rivers had the advantage of a full offseason, Ponder did not.

  6. #26
    Randy Moss's Avatar
    Randy Moss is offline Pro-Bowler
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    453

    Re: NFL speed throws Christian Ponder for a loop

    Ponder was really bad on Saturday as well.

  7. #27
    Purple Floyd's Avatar
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    16,646
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: NFL speed throws Christian Ponder for a loop

    Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1103607
    Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1103605
    Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1103594
    Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1103587
    Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1103584
    Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1103573
    Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1103541
    Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1103540

    Quick question- Who was the experienced vet that Matt Ryan learned behind when Musgrave was developing him in Atlanta?
    How did Philip Rivers first season as a Charger work out for him?
    He completed 62.5% of his passes for a QB rating of 110.9:P
    BTW his career ratings are 63.7% completions and a QB rating of 97.2 so he was pretty much the QB he is right out of the box.Only his second year was under 60%.
    Your point being?
    on 8 attempts, but nice try.
    So what was your point?
    that he sat his ass on the bench for his first two seasons, and it worked terrifically for him.
    Well, then my point was even when he played his rookie year he did pretty well and his numbers were right there with the numbers for the rest of his career so there is absolutely zero reason to assume he wouldn't have been just as successful right out of the gate.

    Do you have any examples of the staff saying that he wasn't ready in his rookie season so they were benching him?
    The stats also say TJ is one of the all-time great QB's based on a handful of games where he had 3 attempts in mop-up duty.

    his rookie season is absolutely no indication of his skill. They sat him because they had a vet ahead of him, and wanted to grow him on the bench.

    BTW, Rivers was a top-5 pick, Ponder was #12, and most didn't even pick him as a top-5 QB in the class. Either way, both had alot to learn, but Rivers had the advantage of a full offseason, Ponder did not.
    But there is no evidence that he wouldn't have developed into the QB he is if he had started his first 2 years and that is what your point is trying to establish. I feel that he would have been just as good as he is today if he had started year one as he did after sitting.

    Ponder may very well be different and after seeing him practice I agree that he has no chance of coming in and playing lights out, but also the things i see that are going to keep him from playing well right from the beginning might also prevent him from ever doing it.

  8. #28
    i_bleed_purple's Avatar
    i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Canadialand
    Posts
    16,777
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: NFL speed throws Christian Ponder for a loop

    I guess we'll really only know on Saturday. First preseason game vs. the Titans. He'll be playign backups, so if he's as ready as you all claim he is, he should light these chumps up no problem.

  9. #29
    Purple Floyd's Avatar
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    16,646
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: NFL speed throws Christian Ponder for a loop

    Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1103617
    I guess we'll really only know on Saturday. First preseason game vs. the Titans. He'll be playign backups, so if he's as ready as you all claim he is, he should light these chumps up no problem.
    Apparently you are not really reading what I post.

    I have said many times, especially after seeing the training camp practice on Saturday, that Ponder is not ready to be a starting QB. In fact, if you look at the post that you just replied to I clearly restated that. I also stated that the things that I see as a problem might not be fixed by time alone.


    What I have been stating in regards to Rivers has zero to do with Ponder. They are 2 totally different players with totally different teams. Rivers is a successful QB now and he more than likely would have been from day 1 of his rookie year. Ponder is a different player and he may or may not benefit from sitting on the bench but IMO what he needs is time playing and not sitting. If he is not going to work out it is going to be because he doesn't have the arm strength to get the ball to where it needs to be when it needs to be there and sitting on his ass isn't going to make his arm stronger.

  10. #30
    i_bleed_purple's Avatar
    i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Canadialand
    Posts
    16,777
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: NFL speed throws Christian Ponder for a loop

    Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1103628
    Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1103617
    I guess we'll really only know on Saturday. First preseason game vs. the Titans. He'll be playign backups, so if he's as ready as you all claim he is, he should light these chumps up no problem.
    Apparently you are not really reading what I post.

    I have said many times, especially after seeing the training camp practice on Saturday, that Ponder is not ready to be a starting QB. In fact, if you look at the post that you just replied to I clearly restated that. I also stated that the things that I see as a problem might not be fixed by time alone.


    What I have been stating in regards to Rivers has zero to do with Ponder. They are 2 totally different players with totally different teams. Rivers is a successful QB now and he more than likely would have been from day 1 of his rookie year. Ponder is a different player and he may or may not benefit from sitting on the bench but IMO what he needs is time playing and not sitting. If he is not going to work out it is going to be because he doesn't have the arm strength to get the ball to where it needs to be when it needs to be there and sitting on his ass isn't going to make his arm stronger.
    And I disagree. I think he needs to sit for a year for the best chance of turning out to be a franchise QB for us.

    It's obvious neither of us will concede to the other, so let's leave it at that.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. The Official Christian Ponder Thread
    By Dibbzz in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 416
    Last Post: 04-14-2013, 09:16 PM
  2. Video: Christian Ponder In Preseason
    By HEY in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-24-2011, 08:49 AM
  3. Christian Ponder named backup QB for the Vikings
    By MulletMullitia in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 09-06-2011, 04:59 PM
  4. Christian Ponder Speaks Truth, Catches Flak
    By Marrdro in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-05-2011, 04:31 PM
  5. Kleinsasser, Wiggins - Out of the loop
    By singersp in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 10-08-2006, 11:01 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •