Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

NFL speed throws Christian Ponder for a loop

NFL speed throws rookie QB Christian Ponder for a loop

Vikings coach Leslie Frazier saw a day like this coming for Christian Ponder, the rookie quarterback who threw two interceptions in situational drills after a few positive performances

http://www.twincities.com/ci_18627094?source=most_viewed

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Re: NFL speed throws Christian Ponder for a loop

"It's called being a rookie in the National Football League," Frazier said.
    Ponder's biggest adjustment is the speed of the game, he said. Starter Donovan McNabb is helping him with that process.

"He gives me tips every day," he said.
    And this is why signing a saavy veteran QB to start & for Ponder to sit a year & learn from that veteran is so vitally important to his success.

Starting Ponder would have been a mistake & had we went that route he'd be learning from Webb, who is learning himself or learning from Bomar, who has yet to take a snap in a NFL game.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Funny, could have sworn Marrdro said Ponder would be ready, because 'he's a smart cat', and because he has the playbook.

I was also convinced that a veteran QB would have no positive effect on Ponder. He CERTAINLY wouldn't be "Helping" Ponder learn the game....

that's just crazy talk!

jessejames09 is offline Ring of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1103518
    Funny, could have sworn Marrdro said Ponder would be ready, because 'he's a smart cat', and because he has the playbook.

I was also convinced that a veteran QB would have no positive effect on Ponder. He CERTAINLY wouldn't be "Helping" Ponder learn the game....

that's just crazy talk!
    Ready to play, is a lot different from ready to step in and put this team on his shoulders. Peyton Manning set the interceptions in a season record his rookie year. He wasn't really ready was he?

I would say Ponder is in the situation any 1st round QB should be in, ready to step in and learn. Who knows how Peyton's career would have turned out if he wasn't allowed time to overcome that steep learning curve in year one.

I really think we should be trying, as hard as we can, to develop our QB of the future as opposed to playing another year with a Band-Aid QB that we know will get soggy and fall off.

Did someone compare Ponder, who has trouble throwing the long ball, to Peyton Manning? :P

Manning was projeted to be a top pick in the 1998 draft. Ponder was projected to go mid 2nd round. Picking him in the 1st doesn't change that.

Manning BTW, had the benefit of a full offseason, meaning, the full allotment of mini camps, ota's, training camp & preseason working & geling with his team.

Ponder has had nothing but a little bonding with a few players prior to TC. Lets also not forget that training camp prior to just 3 days ago existed only for those players who were already signed.

Do you believe Ponder or even Peyton Manning in his rookie year for that matter, would be ready to start after 8-9 practices with the team?

Freakout is offline Coordinator
    Blog Entries

This offseason made it nearly impossible for a rookie to start this year. No OTA's, mini-camps, etc... really puts a rookie QB way behind.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "jessejames09" #1103523

that's just crazy talk!
    Ready to play, is a lot different from ready to step in and put this team on his shoulders. Peyton Manning set the interceptions in a season record his rookie year. He wasn't really ready was he?

I would say Ponder is in the situation any 1st round QB should be in, ready to step in and learn. Who knows how Peyton's career would have turned out if he wasn't allowed time to overcome that steep learning curve in year one.

I really think we should be trying, as hard as we can, to develop our QB of the future as opposed to playing another year with a Band-Aid QB that we know will get soggy and fall off.
    Absolutely not.

The thing is, Manning came to an all-around awful team. We are a far better situation for a QB than the 98 colts were. How much of his poor play was attributed to a crap line, crap receivers and crap run game? Can't say, but I'd bet alot.

Having said that, I am never a fan of sticking a second round rookie QB in day 1, and hoping he pans out. He'll get kille dout there, confidence takes a hit, and progression slows. I'd far rather he sit a year or two, watch a good vet run the show then take over.

The thing about McNabb that is different than any other Vet QB we've had lately, is that we have a potential franchise QB behind McNabb. Before, we just signed old band-aid QBs for the sake of having them. We had no real prospect.

If McNabb doesn't work out, we have someone to turn to. If Favre didn't work out, we really had nobody going forward.

Someones gotta be the next great QB. Why not Ponder? Brees and Brady don't have unreal arm strength, yet they're in that same tier...

Picking someone in the first does change your expectations, a QB drafted in the first round is usually someone the team looks to make the starter after year one, if not earlier.

McNabb is a one year band aid, nothing more, nothing less. We're just as unlikely to win a Superbowl with McNabb this year as we are with Ponder (0.005% chance.) So why not let the one were trying to develop actually develop.

Ponder missed rookie camp, mini camp and OTAs. Now he's a year behind in his development? I'd say he's a few weeks behind at most. So instead of week 1 I'd expect to see Ponder week 6 at the latest.

So yeah. He will be ready to go this year, and if he's not he should be thrown in anyways so he's ready to go next year.

What we shouldn't do is try to scrape by with McNabb for 16 games, release him at seasons end and need another veteran next year, just in case Ponder isn't ready, yet again. It will be TJ all over again. Give the kid a shot.

I guess we're the Vikings though, and there is something to be said about our perpetual loop of washed up 'safe option' veterans.

Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1103527
    Quote Originally Posted by "jessejames09" #1103523

that's just crazy talk!

The thing is, Manning came to an all-around awful team. We are a far better situation for a QB than the 98 colts were. How much of his poor play was attributed to a crap line, crap receivers and crap run game?
    Marshall Faulk was inducted into the Pro Football HOF last night.

Sorry I had to.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "jessejames09" #1103530
    Someones gotta be the next great QB. Why not Ponder? Brees and Brady don't have unreal arm strength, yet they're in that same tier...

Picking someone in the first does change your expectations, a QB drafted in the first round is usually someone the team looks to make the starter after year one, if not earlier.
    If we picked Tarvaris Jackson in the first, does that mean he'd be ready to go?

No. Simply picking a guy early doesn't mean he's NFL ready on day 1. Ponder was graded as probably the fourth or fifth best QB in the draft. We reached for him, plain and simple. Just because we did that does not mean I expect he'll be ready day 1. There's nothing wrong with sitting your first round QB for a year or two. Hell, Eli and Rivers, both top-3 picks sat for at least a full season before they got their shot. Both were picked as better QBs than Ponder was.
    McNabb is a one year band aid, nothing more, nothing less. We're just as unlikely to win a Superbowl with McNabb this year as we are with Ponder (0.005% chance.) So why not let the one were trying to develop actually develop.
    He can develop. On the bench. Throwing him to the wolves won't accomplish anything. If there's such a small chance of him winning, then why risk damaging him? Let McNabb take the hits, guide us to 8-8, then next season Ponder can come in and woo everyone.
    Ponder missed rookie camp, mini camp and OTAs. Now he's a year behind in his development? I'd say he's a few weeks behind at most. So instead of week 1 I'd expect to see Ponder week 6 at the latest.
    Few weeks? Draft was in April. He missed all of May, June and July. That's 3 months of minicamps, meetings, workouts, OTAs, etc. Things that are especially important for rookies to get in sync with their teammates, get ready for the NFL, meet their coaches, learn the scheme, etc. Ponder was able to do NONE of those things. He's far more than a couple weeks behind.

So yeah. He will be ready to go this year, and if he's not he should be thrown in anyways so he's ready to go next year.
    The logic in that statement simply does not work.
    What we shouldn't do is try to scrape by with McNabb for 16 games, release him at seasons end and need another veteran next year, just in case Ponder isn't ready, yet again. It will be TJ all over again. Give the kid a shot.
    Why would we need another vet next season?

You really can't go wrong in this situation. McNabb starts this season, if he lights it up and wins a superbowl, Fantastic. He can play next year too in that case. If he plays well, we make playoffs, have a good run, great. If he sucks, then we live with it, Ponder learns some things from a full season of practice, workouts and meetings, then is ready to take over next season. If he gets hurt, then we put in Ponder and see if he is actually ready to go.

With McNabb starting at the tail end of his career, we keep our future QB injury-free (as it will inevitably happen behind our line) and able to learn the proper way.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast