Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

From NFL scrap heap, Grigsby seizes moment

http://www.startribune.com/sports/12448306.html

Otis Grigsby was an all-state selection as a linebacker at Judson High School in Converse, Texas. He went to Kentucky under the assumption that he would continue to play that position.

"I was a great linebacker," Grigsby said. "Then, the coaches told me I could get on the field faster at defensive end. That sounded good, so I switched positions, but I never really learned how to play the position.

"I didn't learn the techniques. I just waited for the snap and ran."

Grigsby was not taken in the 2003 NFL draft. He signed as a free agent with Miami. Rick Spielman was running the personnel department, and George Paton was his assistant.

This would pay off 4 ½ years later for Grigsby -- and get him on the field in San Francisco on Sunday to get his first NFL sack. Spielman became Vikings vice president for personnel in May 2006. He brought in Paton this year.

A week ago, the Vikings ran into a crisis at defensive end. Ray Edwards was suspended for failing a steroid test. Erasmus James was headed for a third surgery on his left knee.

Grigsby was on the practice squad in Carolina. He had played in his first four NFL games for the Panthers -- three in September, one in November.

"I was inactive the rest of the time," he said. "They put me on waivers [Nov. 17], then three days later brought me back on the practice squad.

"There was talk I was going back on the active list with the Panthers, but even if they did that, I wasn't going to play."

So, Grigsby was pleased to get the call from Minnesota, and to find himself on the field with some regularity Sunday. In the fourth quarter, he belted 49ers quarterback Shaun Hill, and the loose football landed in the arms of tackle Spencer Johnson.

At the moment, it looked like the Vikings' third interception for a defensive tackle. But it was ruled a fumble -- and then Pat Williams lost his interception when the NFL stats czars ruled on Monday that it was also a fumble.

Grigsby earned a sack and a forced fumble with his hit on Hill, and perhaps another shot at a scrub quarterback, Chicago's Kyle Orton. An appearance on "Monday Night Football" would complete quite an odyssey for Grigsby...

Another Spielman connection pays off!
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

Frostbite is offline Coach

Re: From NFL scrap heap, Grigsby seizes moment

Just goes to show that you never when or how a contribution might be made by any player. It's a nice underdog story. Thanks COJOMAY

Cheers!
    Where is Frostbite Falls Minnesota?

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

It was funny in it's own little way but, Otis's Sister, Ashely, came onto the site Sunday and signed up as a member and introduced herself.
    She then joined us in the chat and recieved alot of ribbbing from some guys who thought right away that she wasn't who she claimed to be, the sister of Otis Grigsby.
    But for some reason, I felt she was the real deal, just by the way she portraid herself and by all the proud vibs I was recieving from her.

I got most all the guys to calm down and back off of her, and she must have taken a liking to that fact, because she really started chatting with TNT and Myself.
    I filled her in on some Vikings info and wished her brother a solid game.
    I then listened extra carefull for any mention of his name and the next thing I new he was credited with a tackle.
    We continued to chat and next I gave her more good news. News that her brother had
    racked up a sack.
    Then at the very end of the game, I again gave her some more great news, and that was the forced fumble.

As I listened closely, I started liking Otis, more and more, and it was nice to see the young man take the field after only one practice with the team and contribute on top of it all.

What was really sweat was the fact that Ashely asked for my EMail, and she wrote me a letter and included some family pics and a pic of her and Otis together.....I will say this, a very nice looking family at that also..

Hopefully we will get to see more of Otis come Monday night, and hopefully he will contiue to produce and have a personal best day against the Bears.
    I"m also hoping Ashley comes back to join the gang again, and bless us with her great personality, anytime she pleases and espeicaly for the game.

Another hidden and under used talent may have been found, just as we needed to, and right now, it looks like with Robison and Otis stepping in and stepping up, we won't miss much of the beat...

SKOL VIKINGS,

NordicNed

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

happy camper is offline Team Alumni

I can almost read the headlines now..

Feb 4 2008 - "Adrian Peterson and Chester Taylor combined to rush for 214 yards and 3 TDs. The Patriots never had a chance as newcomer Otis Grigsby sacked Tom Brady, nearly decapitating him, on the opening possession forcing a fumble which was taken to the endzone by EJ Henderson. Otis would finish with 3 sacks and 4 QB hurries as Minnesota's offensive and defensive line took over the game."

"There is good and there is evil. And evil must be punished. Even in the face of Armageddon I will not compromise."

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

"happy" wrote:

Feb 4 2008 - "Adrian Peterson and Chester Taylor combined to rush for 214 yards and 3 TDs. The Patriots never had a chance as newcomer Otis Grigsby sacked Tom Brady, nearly decapitating him, on the opening possession forcing a fumble which was taken to the endzone by EJ Henderson. Otis would finish with 3 sacks and 4 QB hurries as Minnesota's offensive and defensive line took over the game."

All I'll say is, how sweet that would be
    ;D

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

Schutz is offline Team Alumni

"happy" wrote:

Dream on, I hate to have the broken record sound since I just talked about this on another thread, but come on.
    It's nice to imagine this stuff but if we can't get a pass rush on some of the mediocre teams of the NFC how do we plan on shutting down Tom "Freakin" Brady if the entire AFC can't get it done.
    We don't have the pass defense or the pass rush to do more than maybe one sack and a handful of QB hurries at this point.
    Even if the Vikings made it past the Cowboys and Packers(I don't see that happening) and scored lets say 35 points on a stout and pumped up Patriots defense 35 points with our pass defense probably still wouldn't be enough.
    How would you propose we stop Wes Welker in the slot?
    Or who in the good lord's name would come close to matching up against Randy Moss?
    If Minnesota pulls off the million to one shot of making to the Super Bowl with this above average team for the first time in how many decades then we can talk about the Patriots or the Colts.

vikesfargo is offline Asst. Coach

I have a feeling that this Grigsby is going to be a good player. I'm glad we're keeping him.

On a different topic, too bad the Packers got Conrad Bolston. Packers suck.

Go Vikings!

Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

well Spielman is sure winning over people here in Minny.. almost have to feel bad for the Phins ... nah lol

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Ned: Did you invite her over to watch the game in the nude with you?
    ;D
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

vikesfargo is offline Asst. Coach

"COJOMAY" wrote:
    Ned: Did you invite her over to watch the game in the nude with you?
    ;D
    Uh, could
    we please limit the harassment to sisters of the players of other teams? I know, I know, a joke. I think it's cool that she posted on PPo.

Go Vikings!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast