Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

NFL Report: Here's to you, Mr. Robinson

Posted 3/29/2006 8:40 PM

[size=18px]NFL Report: Here's to you, Mr. Robinson; Pats boot Vinatieri[/size]

By Jim Corbett, USA TODAY

Out of football and racked with regret about everything he risked wasting at 25, former Seahawks receiver Koren Robinson caught himself before it was too late. Robinson finally got sober and embraced real change.

Koren Robinson (18) deserves congratulations for turning his life around.
    By Paul Sancya, AP

After a stay in an alcohol rehab treatment center, Seattle's washout receiver reclaimed his life last June and then his NFL career.

Robinson rewarded former Vikings coach Mike Tice's free agent gamble by kicking strong off rock bottom to earn a trip to the Pro Bowl as the NFC's kick returner.

Robinson's transformation from self-destructive talent to inspirational all-pro occurred when he checked into a Charleston, S.C., treatment center for alcohol addiction.

"I had been to a clinic before, but my family and friends were pushing me to go and I didn't want to, so I didn't want to change," Robinson says. "This time I did it on my own because it was time for something to change. Man, I'm so happy now I did."

The Seahawks gave him the push he needed.

Robinson was Seattle's ninth overall selection in 2001. He admits he struggled with alcohol abuse. His troubles resulted in a four-game suspension in 2004 and forced coach Mike Holmgren to cut Robinson after a May 2005 DUI arrest days after Robinson insisted he stopped drinking.

"After being released by the Seahawks, I had to sit down and really take a look at myself and see what was really important to me because I started thinking, 'What if I would have gotten into an accident?' I could have killed somebody. I could have killed myself," Robinson says.

"It would have been unfair to my family to leave them grieving over my stupidity.

"I had to really sit down and see what was important in my life. It was my family and career. All the bad decisions I made came when alcohol was involved. I was going out, making awful decisions."

Robinson recently signed a three-year, $12.7 million deal to remain in Minnesota, where he'll have an opportunity to make good on his unfulfilled promise as a No. 1 wide receiver.

"Now that I have this opportunity, I can't let it slip," Robinson says. "It's going to be me continuing to do what I need to do every day to be the best person, son, brother, father and teammate."

The NFC's leading kick returner averaged 26 yards on 47 returns with one touchdown. He also caught 22 passes for 347 yards and a TD in addition to scoring on a reverse.

Now the 6-1, 205-pounder hopes to be that go-to receiver he was supposed to be in Seattle for new Vikings coach Brad Childress.

"I need to bust my tail and show them I can do it," he says. "Coach Childress runs a West Coast offense similar to what we ran in Seattle."

Robinson says Holmgren tried to help him, but the reality was only Robinson could save himself.

He has done so, and his peers seem to agree.

"To get the Pro Bowl, the Ed Block Courage Award and the Korey Stringer Award from my teammates is truly an honor because at the beginning of the season I wasn't even with a team," Robinson says.

"It shows I'm doing something right. I just want to increase this."

Pats ignore their hearts, let Vinatieri go

Letting Adam Vinatieri move on might be the boldest decision New England Patriots coach Bill Belichick has made since he stuck by unproven Tom Brady instead of veteran quarterback Drew Bledsoe in 2001.

Bledsoe had fully recovered from a life-threatening chest injury that opened the door for Brady. Yet Belichick continued to roll with his second-year quarterback instead of giving the job back to Bledsoe.

Three Super Bowl titles later, Belichick's belief in Brady was the key that unlocked the dynasty door. But Vinatieri's clutch kicks were every bit as vital to that title run.

As arguably the game's best money kicker, he seemingly earned the right to finish his career a Patriot. It's why Belichick is taking so much flak for letting a New England folk hero leave for the rival Indianapolis Colts.

Belichick might have wanted to re-sign his kicker, but not at the $3.5 million guaranteed he received. He doesn't let popular opinion or sentiment cloud personnel decisions. The former special-teams coach has a sharp eye for the position and doesn't buy into the one-player-at-any-cost theory. Perhaps he felt something slipped with his 33-year-old kicker, whether it was his kickoffs or field goal distance.

Vinatieri was rewarded with the $10 million over five years deal New England never offered as well as the chance to kick indoors. Team president Bill Polian believes that in signing Vinatieri, the Colts can get over that big-game hump.

Vinatieri converted 20 game-winning field goals, including two last-minute Super Bowl winners during 10 seasons in New England.

The Colts appear to be the big winners. Let's see if Belichick applies the savings to re-sign Richard Seymour, add Eric Moulds or trade for Javon Walker.

We'll see how his latest controversial decision plays out. It would be especially interesting if it comes down to Colts-Patriots in a New England blizzard with a trip to the Super Bowl hinging on Vinatieri or his successor's kicking foot.

News from around the league

Carson Palmer gets it.

In his first news conference since suffering torn ligaments in his left knee in Cincinnati's Jan. 8 wild-card loss to Pittsburgh, the Bengals Pro Bowl quarterback put his rehabilitation in perspective.

"It's not like I've got cancer or lost a limb or anything like that," Palmer says. "It's just knee surgery. It's not that bad. It's not that hard.

"I'm going to get better, and I'm going to get back."

Palmer is confident he'll be ready to start Cincinnati's season opener. Just in case, the team is expected to sign former Rams backup Jamie Martin.

Quick slants

• With the No. 2 overall draft selection, New Orleans took away Houston's trade leverage with the No. 1 pick by signing Drew Brees. The Saints no longer need a quarterback and could be open to offers — especially from teams interested in Southern California's Matt Leinart.

"We'll try to gauge interest in what the No. 1 pick is worth at the owner's meetings (this week in Orlando)," Texans GM Charley Casserly says.

• The Texans, Titans, Jets, Ravens and Dolphins have scheduled private workouts with former Texas quarterback Vince Young.

• The Panthers beat the Giants for Keyshawn Johnsonby guaranteeing $5 million, not to mention an opportunity to complement dynamic receiver Steve Smith.

The buzz

After securing the 29th overall pick in a three-team deal involving John Abraham, all indications are that the Jets will trade their No. 4 overall pick for the Saints' No. 2, with Southern California quarterback Matt Leinart their intended target.

"It seems so," Texans general manager Charley Casserly says. "Matt Leinart seems the No. 1 quarterback on everybody's board.

"My gut is that I don't see anybody else behind the Jets moving up."

Still, the Jets could stay put and add quality players at No. 4 and No. 29, especially if they can select Vanderbilt quarterback Jay Cutler at No. 4 without moving up.

NFL Report: Here's to you, Mr. Robinson; Pats boot Vinatieri

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Re: NFL Report: Here's to you, Mr. Robinson

This article is pretty similar to the one that was posted a few months ago, but it's good reading on Koren for the newer members.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Good read on koren.

viks_fan21 is offline Asst. Coach

That's awesome. I love some of his quotes.

minvikes01 is offline Pro-Bowler

Good read, he should do well this year, and i liked some of the things i saw from him last year too.

Thanks to PPE for the awesome Sig.

DarrinNelsonguy is offline Team Alumni

Glad that Koren has his life in order now.
    "Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn t work hard."

olson_10 is offline Ring of Fame

good to know koren is ready to go..i dont think he is a legitimate #1 option, but id love for him to prove me wrong
    People who see life as anything more than pure entertainment are missing the point.

DaunteHOF is offline Coach

koren is our go to guy, everyone needs to step their game up
    Its not braggin if you can do it!!!

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

"DaunteHOF" wrote:
    koren is our go to guy, everyone needs to step their game up
    Posting more than 1 sentence is a good thing.

adamv is offline Rookie

"ultravikingfan" wrote:
    Posting more than 1 sentence is a good thing.
    "Posts should be like skirts,
    Short enough to draw attention, yet long enough to cover the important bits."
    Clutter reducing sig here...
    Many Viking fans wouldn t know a good thing if it mooned the Pack.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast