Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

Re: NFL "Prediction System" preview: Minnesota Vikings

"singersp" wrote:
    "NDVikingFan66" wrote:
    "sleepagent" wrote:
    Our run defense was a bit overrated because of the ability to pass easily on us.
    Not enough pressure up front doesn't help the passing game.

I think if our Coaching / play calling improves . . . the rest will fall into place.
    I agree with this to a point.
    The Pats, as mentioned, really exposed this and brought other teams to the light on how to beat the Vikes.

The Pats did a lot to bring our run D to the front, as they did no running on us....lol

Give the Pats coaches some credit, they saw a weakness, and exposed it.

And it's not like Brady was standing back in the pocket all day all the time. He was hitting receivers in the slot just about as soon as he got the ball. Kind of hard to get sufficient pressure on him when he was releasing the ball that fast.

Udeze had just as many tackles in that game as Kevin Williams & Mitchell & had more than Phat Pat & Scott.

DEFENSE

T-A SCK INT FF
    E. Henderson 8-0 1.0 0 0
    D. Sharper 7-0 0.0 1 0
    D. Smith 6-0 0.0 0 0
    F. Smoot 6-0 0.0 0 2
    J. Mitchell 2-0 2.0 0 1
    K. Udeze 2-0 0.0 0 0
    K. Williams 2-0 0.0 0 0
    A. Winfield 2-0 0.0 0 0
    C. Griffin 1-0 0.0 0 0
    N. Harris 1-0 0.0 0 0
    S. Johnson 1-0 0.0 0 0
    B. Leber 1-0 0.0 0 0
    D. Scott 1-0 0.0 0 0
    R. Whitaker 1-0 0.0 0 0
    P. Williams 1-1 0.0 0 0

Yet Udeze takes the blame for an inept pass defense.

Again, sacks are nice, but over rated IMO. it's containment that's important &
    Udeze led the team with 13 tackles for a loss.

A sack of a running back or receiver is just as important IMO.

Although it is hard to believe that Udeze could not get a single sack while playing next to two pro bowlers who both require a double team.

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

After reading this article I concluded that my little brother could have written a better analysis than this guy.

He clearly has very little knowledge of the team at all. This sounds like he read the overviews in SI and ESPN and just went by the 5 sentences he read there.

Billy Boy is offline Hall of Famer

"sleepagent" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "sleepagent" wrote:
    Our run defense was a bit overrated because of the ability to pass easily on us.

I think if our Coaching / play calling improves . . . the rest will fall into place.
    I tend to disagree with that. Our run defense was solid all year & it wasn't until week 7 that our pass defense was exposed by the Pats.

I would agree though, that following that game, teams tended to pass more often than run against us, but had they stuck to a run attack, there's no doubt in my mind we would have shut them down.

The exception to that was giving up 142 yards to Jackson in a meaningless Rams game.
    Solid yes, but still a BIT overrated by the standard of the full season.
    Now if we can get our Passing "D" to improve . . . watchout.

I'm curious on how the new DC
    will affect how the defense operates.
    I don't think you can under value good coaching, especially in the highly competitive NFL.

I really like how Childress pulled the team together during the preseason, but I lost a certain degree of respect for him as it "appeared" he became somewhat frantic signing "B" level players just before the start of the season . . . and undermining all his team building work.
    I couldn't disagree more that the defense is overratted stricly as far as the running game goes.
    Nost tackle Pat is breed for stopping the run and then he has solid Kevin to help him in there.
    Its hard to run on those two and all the DEs we saw did well on the outside.

Singer
    Yet Udeze takes the blame for an inept pass defense.

Again, sacks are nice, but over rated IMO. it's containment that's important &
    Udeze led the team with 13 tackles for a loss.
    I agree that Udeze performed well against the run and sacks is not the only meens of analysis and don't meen to take anything away from that performance. But if my memory serves correct Udeze was supposed to be a pass rushing guy coming into this league.
    He didn't do this last season and was eventually relieved of starting at the end of the season.
    This may have been some of the influence of the draft of Robison (a RG would have been nice) while I believe he was a good gamble that late regardless and also that Scott and Edwards have seen time with the 1st squad at OTAs. I am not putting all the blame on Udeze, I am addressing his play relative to the team neads.

Regardless of whether Udeze is in there the run D will still be stellar (and was).
    This team needs to get pressure on the QB somehow.

All the kids my age pee their pants, it's the coolest.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"Billy" wrote:

Regardless of whether Udeze is in there the run D will still be stellar (and was).
    This team needs to get pressure on the QB somehow.
    And thus Frazier steps in & tweaks the defensive scheme.

Was our poor pass rush attributed to lack of talent? Defensive scheme? (Tomlin never got it adjusted & working properly after we were exploited) or were the offensive coaches of our opponents, simply out coaching our defense.

I don't think it's anyone thing, but more of a combination of things.

Again Brady was firing passes just as quick as he got the ball, leaving the pass rushers, very little chance of getting to him.

But when Favretard was in there against us, he appeared to have all day to throw the ball.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

sleepagent is offline Hall of Famer

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    "NDVikingFan66" wrote:
    "sleepagent" wrote:

I agree with this to a point.
    The Pats, as mentioned, really exposed this and brought other teams to the light on how to beat the Vikes.

The Pats did a lot to bring our run D to the front, as they did no running on us....lol

Give the Pats coaches some credit, they saw a weakness, and exposed it.

If our run defense was overrated because teams simply didn't run against as because our pass defense sucked, then the YPG would be low but the YPC would be average or high.
    However, this isn't the case.
    Our YPG was 61.8 yards - the best in the NFL by a full 14 yards per game.
    Our YPC was 2.8 - also the best in the NFL by a full half yard per carry.

Our run defense was in no way overrated.
    It was amazing.
    When you cannot run on a team early in the game . . . you move to the air.
    If you stay in the air, the run defense doesn't wear down as much as the front four aren't tackling anyone.
    No one is punishing them with brutal blocks out of the backfield and having running backs run over them.

Without the wear on the run defense, the likelyhood of the 4th quarter scampers decreases thus making the run defense look better than they are.

I said a BIT overrated . . . not sucks or horrible.
    If you don't get challenged, the statistics get scewed.
    The 4th quarter has traditionally been the quarter were stingy run defenses start to run out of gas.
    We weren't challenged as much, especially when teams discovered our "pretender" pass defense.

"No Greater Friend . . . No Worse Enemy. U.S. MARINES"
    "FIND YOUR PASSION AND MAKE IT HAPPEN!"
    "SUCCESS LOOKS EASY TO THOSE THAT WEREN'T THERE WHEN IT WAS BEING ACHIEVED!"

mr.woo is offline Team Alumni

glad to see somebody rooting for us or wait...are they? im not sure. they never really PREDiCTED anything at all? they just rated our different positions?
    woo out
    just two corn cobs shy of a bushel

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12