Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: NFL overtime

Re:NFL overtime

BigOlHorns wrote:
    Zeus wrote:
    There's no need to change the OT procedure in the NFL, IMHO. There are 2 sides in football (3 if you count special teams) - offense and defense. You lose the coin toss? Stop the other team.

=Z=
    By this logic, baseball should adopt a policy where if you score in the top of the 10th, the game is over. After all, pitching is part of baseball. If you can't stop them, you lose. Of course baseball would never do that, because it's ridiculous.
    QFT. You say it's a two sided game. Let both teams have a chance at both sides of the ball, then we see who is the better team.

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

Brazilian Rider wrote:
    BigOlHorns wrote:
    Zeus wrote:
    There's no need to change the OT procedure in the NFL, IMHO. There are 2 sides in football (3 if you count special teams) - offense and defense. You lose the coin toss? Stop the other team.
    By this logic, baseball should adopt a policy where if you score in the top of the 10th, the game is over. After all, pitching is part of baseball. If you can't stop them, you lose. Of course baseball would never do that, because it's ridiculous.
    QFT. You say it's a two sided game. Let both teams have a chance at both sides of the ball, then we see who is the better team.
    Doubtful you'd be saying this had the Vikings won the toss and ended up kicking the FG with Brees and Co. never seeing the field. QFT my ass.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

BigOlHorns wrote:
    Zeus wrote:
    Two different sports that are not at all comparable.

But if you want to draw parallels, then football should just stop the game if the home team is winning with 5 minutes left in the 4th quarter and they have the ball, right?

Speaking of ridiculous.

=Z=

BigOlHorns is offline Waterboy

But if you want to draw parallels, then football should just stop the game if the home team is winning with 5 minutes left in the 4th quarter and they have the ball, right?

Speaking of ridiculous.

=Z=
    Of course it's comparable. You're saying one side of the ball should be able to dictate the outcome of a game after playing four periods with two sides of the ball. Compare it to basketball. Win the tip, hit a jumper, ball game. Other team doesn't touch the ball. Too bad. Should've played better D.

I've been an anti-NFL overtime guy for years. As I said, give both teams an offensive possession, then go to sudden death if it's still tied. That would be a much better solution, and you'd negate all the criticism with a small, but valuable, change.
    None

BigOlHorns wrote:

Speaking of ridiculous.
    Of course it's comparable. You're saying one side of the ball should be able to dictate the outcome of a game after playing four periods with two sides of the ball. Compare it to basketball. Win the tip, hit a jumper, ball game. Other team doesn't touch the ball. Too bad. Should've played better D.

I've been an anti-NFL overtime guy for years. As I said, give both teams an offensive possession, then go to sudden death if it's still tied. That would be a much better solution, and you'd negate all the criticism with a small, but valuable, change.
    But what about the wind? Should both teams get the ball with the wind at their backs? How is it fair that one team gets an advantage on the elements?

And - shouldn't all games be played at neutral sites? Hardly fair that one offense has to play with loud crowd noise ringing in their ears and the other offense gets to play with silence.

Blech. Sorry, but there's nothing wrong with OT in the NFL. It's a man's game. Be a man - stop the other team.

=Z=

BigOlHorns is offline Waterboy

But what about the wind? Should both teams get the ball with the wind at their backs? How is it fair that one team gets an advantage on the elements?

And - shouldn't all games be played at neutral sites? Hardly fair that one offense has to play with loud crowd noise ringing in their ears and the other offense gets to play with silence.

Blech. Sorry, but there's nothing wrong with OT in the NFL. It's a man's game. Be a man - stop the other team.

=Z=
    You've changed the topic from actual rules to variables. It's obvious where this is going.
    None

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

I've always hated OT in the NFL. Both teams have a series of battles in the course of the game and the game is tied at the end of the war. Then they flip a fucking coin to see who gets the ball? Work your ass off and leave everything on the field and then it's like....ah, well, it's tied, let's flip a fucking coin and see who wins. I think it's pathetic. At least have an extra quarter and let them duke it out. The coin flip is ridiculous.

p.s. as long as i'm bitching, wtf is the point of having instant replays when they don't work much of the time? How the hell can I see 6 different angles in super slow mo, take a piss, make a sandwich, get a beer, and then have the highly trained refs who get paid to analyze the tape concentrate on nothing but that and still get the call wrong? It should never be wrong on an instant replay. I'm for instituting the death penalty on bad calls reviewed on instant replay. I mean this is the 21st century, i can take a picture of a the inside of a vacuole and you can't get a call right on a football field with high definition super slow mo multiple angles when that is what you're trained to do? wtf?
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

happy camper is offline Team Alumni

I'm fine with the current format. There is a 60 minute game that precedes overtime. The thing about the current overtime, teams do not want to play it. This gives a sense of urgency in regulation.

The Vikings could have, and should have, prevented overtime in their loss to New Orleans.
    "There is good and there is evil. And evil must be punished. Even in the face of Armageddon I will not compromise."

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own

Zeus wrote:

=Z=
    What if you do stop them, but they call it a first down anyway?
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

Zeus wrote:
    BigOlHorns wrote:

Speaking of ridiculous.

=Z=
    People can train to play in wind and in hostile enviroments. They can't be taught how to pick the right side of a coin every time.

I agree with Big Ol' Horns on this issue...

And yes, I also vote for the death penalty when getting a call wrong. The NFL better fire those refs.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast