Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NFL overtime

Dieter is offline Training Camp

NFL overtime

I have looked in the forums, and either I am blind or American football fans (Minnesota in this case) are completely comfortable with the coin toss in the NFL. personally I hate the rule and prefer the NCAA/CFL version.

I nearly peuked when the Saints won the toss cause you just knew Brees would get them at least within field goal range with that offense.

Here is a clip from a Canadian show (Toronto based...I HATE Toronto more than I hate Dalls, but regardless)

Opinions from Vikes fans on losing a game in a large part because of a coin?
    http://www.okanagansun.ca
    https://twitter.com/Okanagan_Sun

Dieter is offline Training Camp

Re:NFL overtime

Forgot to put the link in

http://videos.torontosun.com/video/sports/sports/5745372001/grill-room-nfl-overtime-a-joke/63271401001
    http://www.okanagansun.ca
    https://twitter.com/Okanagan_Sun

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

Dieter wrote:
    Opinions from Vikes fans on losing a game in a large part because of a coin?
    There's no need to change the OT procedure in the NFL, IMHO. There are 2 sides in football (3 if you count special teams) - offense and defense. You lose the coin toss? Stop the other team.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

I personally have little problem with the NFL procedure.

I cannot STAND the NCAA procedure as you flat out start in FG range, which is a joke.

I would not mind the NFL saying for the playoffs and playoffs only you flat play an entire 10 minute quarter with 3 timeouts each. If still tied, you play another one ... etc.

Of course you could end up out there forever, but is there really anything better than the NHL Playoffs overtime?
    None

BigOlHorns is offline Waterboy

I hate the NFL's overtime. At least give the other offense a chance to touch the ball. After each team gets 1 possession, then you can go to sudden death.
    None

I'll answer like this: How many teams do you see that win the coin toss and pick to go on defense?

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

Brazilian Rider wrote:
    I'll answer like this: How many teams do you see that win the coin toss and pick to go on defense?
    So what?

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/Articles/11_3118_NO_31%2C_Minny_28%3A_the_NFL%27s_tragic_he ro.html

The Saints won the overtime toss and proceeded to drive down for the game-winning field goal on the only possession by either team in the extra session.

Naturally, talk of the futility of the NFL overtime system has been a hot topic Monday morning. Let us first state that, yes, overtime football sucks. There’s no good way to do it. The NFL coin-flip system sucks. The college football trade-possessions-at-the-25 system seems to be better, but can often drag on forever.

With that said, critics of the NFL overtime system seem to believe that losing the coin flip is a death sentence and winning it is an express pass to victory.

The Cold, Hard Football Facts say otherwise. NFL teams that won the toss were 7-6 (.538) in 2009.
    =Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Zeus wrote:
    Brazilian Rider wrote:
    So what?

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/Articles/11_3118_NO_31%2C_Minny_28%3A_the_NFL%27s_tragic_he ro.html

The Saints won the overtime toss and proceeded to drive down for the game-winning field goal on the only possession by either team in the extra session.

Naturally, talk of the futility of the NFL overtime system has been a hot topic Monday morning. Let us first state that, yes, overtime football sucks. There’s no good way to do it. The NFL coin-flip system sucks. The college football trade-possessions-at-the-25 system seems to be better, but can often drag on forever.

With that said, critics of the NFL overtime system seem to believe that losing the coin flip is a death sentence and winning it is an express pass to victory.

The Cold, Hard Football Facts say otherwise. NFL teams that won the toss were 7-6 (.538) in 2009.
    =Z=
    I hate it when topics are crushed by logic.

ConnecticutViking is offline Pro-Bowler

I looked up the stats from 74-03. And believe it our not, there is not a big difference between the teams that win the coin toss or lose the coin toss. Here are the stats. Only an 8% difference between winning the coin toss and losing. Almost 50/50. In reality 52/44 with 5% tie.

Total no. of overtime games (1974–2003) 365
    Both teams had at least one possession 261 (72 %)
    Team won toss and won game 189 (52 %)
    Team lost toss and won game 160 (44 %)
    Team won toss and drove for winning score 102 (28 %)
    Games ending in a tie 15 (5 %)

BigOlHorns is offline Waterboy

Zeus wrote:
    There's no need to change the OT procedure in the NFL, IMHO. There are 2 sides in football (3 if you count special teams) - offense and defense. You lose the coin toss? Stop the other team.

=Z=
    By this logic, baseball should adopt a policy where if you score in the top of the 10th, the game is over. After all, pitching is part of baseball. If you can't stop them, you lose. Of course baseball would never do that, because it's ridiculous.
    None

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast