Del Rio Guest

NFL 3 Shutouts all year?

In 2001 there were 10 shutouts, in 2002 there were seven and in 2003 there were 12. So far in this season of the five-yard contact rule, there have been three shutouts. Stat submitted by Corné Hoogendoorn, Werkendam, The Netherlands

Defense seems to be a thing of the past. Is it because of the way the rules are set up?

Is it because teams are only after the really good offensive players in the draft?

Our team has struggled on D all year, but the NFL as a whole has had poor defense. Is it really bad D or is it the fruit of many years of offensive draft picks manifesting itself in the form of extreemly productive scoring machines?

XTAP59 is offline Coordinator

NFL 3 Shutouts all year?

OK, Vikes win Friday 3-0.....

LURKING ON THE GRASSY KNOLL
    http://lotgk.wordpress.com

Vikestand is offline Coordinator

NFL 3 Shutouts all year?

Vikes came close againts the Titans if I believe.....

By Pack93z

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to the other with no loss of enthusiasm"-Sir Winston Churchill

sdvikefan is offline Hall of Famer

Re: NFL 3 Shutouts all year?

"Del Rio" wrote:
    In 2001 there were 10 shutouts, in 2002 there were seven and in 2003 there were 12. So far in this season of the five-yard contact rule, there have been three shutouts. Stat submitted by Corné Hoogendoorn, Werkendam, The Netherlands

Defense seems to be a thing of the past. Is it because of the way the rules are set up?

Is it because teams are only after the really good offensive players in the draft?

Our team has struggled on D all year, but the NFL as a whole has had poor defense. Is it really bad D or is it the fruit of many years of offensive draft picks manifesting itself in the form of extreemly productive scoring machines?
    Yeah I agree with you. I know a lot of Viking fans are upset with our defense but I have seen similar troubles with almost every other defense in the games I've watched.

I think the rules are more a part of it than the draft picks. I remember watching football games in years past when corners and linebackers were not afraid to get very physical with a receiver, now this year they are playing softer coverage because of the contact rule enforcement. It has changed defense for good and will continue to do so.

As far as the draft, teams still draft according to their needs be it offense or defense. A lot of teams took defense in the first round of this years draft, and although I think receivers are a higher commodity now than ever before, there are a lot of teams that just need defense more.
    "Meet at the quarterback!" -Purple People Eaters

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

NFL 3 Shutouts all year?

I tjink it may be because of the new rules applied to the Defense as far as what they can/can't do to the receivers being strictly enforced!

vikoles is offline Coordinator

NFL 3 Shutouts all year?

BETTER YET!!!!!!!!! Vikes when 2-0 when FAYYYVE get s his cheese melted on the last play of the game in the endzone! All the announcers throughout the league and ESPN can t believe it from A HOFer but still the only way to describe it/him is..."what an idiot" as they wouyld be quoted...heheeheheh
    "The pen is mightier than the sword"

bleedpurple is offline Ring of Fame

NFL 3 Shutouts all year?

fRIDAY....................=GOT SHUTOUT?

Kleinsasser40 is offline Coordinator

NFL 3 Shutouts all year?

"XTAP59" wrote:
    OK, Vikes win Friday 3-0.....
    That would be one exciting game...hehehe, lol :P
    [img:2264cdc124]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v482/ultravikingfan/vikesklein.jpg[/img:2264cdc124]