Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Vikes is offline Team Alumni

NFL = 11 Minutes of Action

I'm not shocked, it always feels like there is a commerical.

According to a Wall Street Journal study of four recent broadcasts, and similar estimates by researchers, the average amount of time the ball is in play on the field during an NFL game is about 11 minutes.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704281204575002852055561406.html

The rigors of Spartan life. Leonidas is cast out into the wild, and survives the harsh winter to return to his home, when he is crowned King ....a Viking!

HEY
    HEY is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries

Re: NFL = 11 Minutes of Action

That's crazy!
    I'm definitely not going to bring that up in one of my frequent "gridiron vs. futball" arguments that I have with my friends.

I admit one thing: American sports have to many breaks!

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

11 minutes of 100% physical exertion against the biggest, best athletes in the world.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Rather watch this:

Quote Originally Posted by "Mr Anderson" #1094308
    11 minutes of 100% physical exertion against the biggest, best athletes in the world.
    Than a bunch of lanky pussies running around a 'pitch', kicking a ball and scoring once or twice in 90 minutes.

seaniemck7 is offline Hall of Famer

Collegiate wrestling consists of 3 periods (with 30 seconds between periods) totaling 7 minutes (3 minutes first period, 2 minutes for periods 2 and 3).

UFC Fights (non-championship) go 3 rounds; 5 minutes each.

I dare anyone to challenge the physicality or excertion that goes into "only" 7 minutes of a wrestling match or 15 minutes of a UFC fight.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "seaniemck7" #1094317
    Collegiate wrestling consists of 3 periods (with 30 seconds between periods) totaling 7 minutes (3 minutes first period, 2 minutes for periods 2 and 3).

I dare anyone to challenge the physicality or excertion that goes into "only" 7 minutes of a wrestling match or 15 minutes of a UFC fight.
    I don't think anybody does. it's clear that UFC fighters are great athletes. Fighting takes alot out of you. However, you can't pretend there's no downtime in boxing. If the fighters are gassed, they can take a second to regain themselves. Obviously it's alot less than football, but are you seriously claiming that football players are not some of the biggest and best athletes in the world? If you're not, what's the point of the post?

I don't, at all. I'm a huge fan of the sport, have wrestled in my life, and know that it's very, very far from easy.

Vikes is offline Team Alumni

I've never been much for wrestling or MMA.

Just does nothing for me, to watch a guy get pound in MMA, until he taps.

The rigors of Spartan life. Leonidas is cast out into the wild, and survives the harsh winter to return to his home, when he is crowned King ....a Viking!

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1094318

I don't think anybody does. it's clear that UFC fighters are great athletes. Fighting takes alot out of you. However, you can't pretend there's no downtime in boxing. If the fighters are gassed, they can take a second to regain themselves. Obviously it's alot less than football, but are you seriously claiming that football players are not some of the biggest and best athletes in the world? If you're not, what's the point of the post?
    I think he's agreeing with Mr. A that length doesn't always matter, it's what you do with it that counts.

A sprinter exerts more energy in 10 seconds than the average Joe who goes out for a 3 mile run...ok I made that up, but it sounds good.

A 15 second run through the slalom course exhausts me.

The team sport with the most action? I would vote for Hockey.

Quote Originally Posted by "tastywaves" #1094329
    Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1094318

I think he's agreeing with Mr. A that length doesn't always matter, it's what you do with it that counts.

A sprinter exerts more energy in 10 seconds than the average Joe who goes out for a 3 mile run...ok I made that up, but it sounds good.

A 15 second run through the slalom course exhausts me.

The team sport with the most action? I would vote for Hockey.
    I'd go with basketball, just because of the size of the players compared to the court, number of shots taken, and the aspect of a third dimension(so much of the game is played in the air.)

I'm not a huge fan of hockey or basketball though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast