Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

NFC North Predictions

The Vikings use tight ends for mostly blocking, not receiving, and they do a good job of blocking so a D is a little unreasonable.

TEXPACK is offline Pro-Bowler

NFC North Predictions

Franks has made it to 3 Probowls in 4 years. He is a mountain to move at 6'6" and 270lbs a fantastic run blocker and superb red zone receiver. Speed at opposite tight end is important and I believe what the Pack has addressed in the off season to make the offense work better.

Jimmy K. and Wiggens are very very average.

In my humble opinion any number of tightends in the league are better. Don't forget I gave you Vikes an A at WR which is largely do to Moss. If I am grading the complete unit at TE I must stick with a D. Your outstanding line helps your running game as does the vertical threat of Moss on any play not so much your tightends. they pretty much go down the field 5-7yards and squat because almost every team is forced into playing a zone coverage defense to help with Moss over the top.
    Some of us will do our jobs well and some will not, but we will all be judged by only one thing - the result." --Vince Lombardi

purplepat is offline Hall of Famer

NFC North Predictions

Just as a quick rebuttal to TEXPACKs grades:

1. Look at the statistics from last season. I don't see how you can grade the Packers WRs out at a B+. This implies "better than above average". Except for Walker's 17.5 ypc average and 9 TDs, this group has "average" written all over it. The Packers big three wideouts had 52, 41, and 38 catches. This practically screams "this group is nothing special, and in fact, underproduces". I think a C+/B- is more appropriate.

2. The Vikings added Antoine Winfield to their secondary in the offseason. He is regarded as a "shutdown" cornerback in the NFL. As a minimum, he is considered better than Mike McKenzie. The Vikings three returning starters in the secondary pulled in 22 interceptions last season, compared to 12 for the Packers three returning starters (and that is assuming that McKenzie indeed returns). The Vikings secondary most certainly does not deserve a D after the addition of Winfield. Most people (not just Viking fans) think that the Vikings secondary is the best in the division.

3. The Packers DL got a C+ grade from you, while totalling only 22.5 sacks. The Vikings DL got 29 sacks last season, added Kenechi Udeze in the draft (who led the nation in sacks last season at USC), yet you give the Vikings DL only a C. While no one can compare the Vikings DL to the Panthers yet, most acknowledge that the Packers DL is a real weak area on their defense. Certainly, you should have reversed the grades here, and the Vikings should probably be upgraded to at least a B- with the addition of Udeze.

4. Your grading at TE is suspect as well. While the three GB TEs overall produced more catches and more yards than the Vikings two TEs, the difference was only about 13 receptions and 110 yards. Throw in the fact that Jim Kleinsasser is regarded around the league as a devastating blocker, and the Vikings TEs deserve far better than the D grade you gave them vs. the B you gave the Pack.

5. The Vikings used three different RBs last season, and all three produced when in the lineup. The Vikings finished 4th in the NFL in rushing in 2003, after finishing 1st in 2002. The Packers were 3rd in rushing, BTW. At 146 yards per game and a 4.8 yard per carry average (plus another 900 yards through the air by the RBs), the Vikings RBs also deserve an A.

Considering the Vikings finished last season 9-7 and have made several moves to improve themselves (Winfield, Udeze, Marcus Robinson at WR, Pro Bowl punter in Darren Bennett) while the Pack has essentially added only a rookie punter, I don't see how you can expect the Vikings record to be worse, but the Pack to stay the same. If anything, the Vikings will improve on last season's record.
    SKOL VIKINGS!

josdin00 is offline Ring of Fame

Re: NFC North Predictions

"TEXPACK" wrote:
    The Minnesota Vikings 8-8 Second Place.
    rational: The Vikings have failed to do enough to improve last year's team. Grades-RB B QB: A WR: A TE: D OL: A
    The Defense has done little and may be worse off! Grades-DB: D LB: D DL: C
    The Special Teams are a solid C

Overall Grade: Solid C
    Well, there will be a lot of people here that will disagree with you about that, myself included.

The Offense was ranked #1 in the NFL last year, so there's the question of whether or not the Vikings actually needed to improve that side of the ball. However, if you don't improve, you will get overtaken, so they brought in Marcus Robinson to be a #2 WR, and Jermaine Wiggens to be their pass-catching TE. They also drafted Mewelde Moore to add to their RB stable, and groom as a potential replacement for Moe Williams in a couple years. They also have Michael Bennet back from injury, who is one of the fastest players in the NFL, and has shown the ability to make big plays. He is the only player in NFL history to break a 60+ yard run in three straight games.

Since this group started out as #1 overall, and then improved a couple of positions, I don't see how they can be rated as anything but a solid A, if not an A+.

The Defense did need help after ranking 23rd in the NFL. They were 17th against the run, but 26th against the pass, even though they led the NFL in interceptions. So, they brought in Antoine Winfield, the top non-franchised corner on the market this offseason, as well as adding a utility DL player in Steve Martin, and a back-up LB in Keith Newman. They then went out and drafted Keneche Udeze, one of the top pass rushing defensive ends available, and Dontarrious Thomas, who is projected to start at one of the outside linebacker positions. The biggest addition to the defense, however, was off the field, in the hiring of Ted Cottrell as Defensive Coordinator, wo is widely recognised as one of the better coordinators in the leage. He created a top defense when he worked in Buffalo. He struggled in New York (Jets) because of a conflict of philosophies with the Jet's head coach.

Overall, this unit has improved slightly on paper, with the potential to be vastly improved. However, that does rely on a number of younger players coming through on their potential. We won't know about this defense until they get on the field, so I'll put them at a C+ right now, with the potential to reach a B grade.

As for special teams, both of our kickers were rookies last year, and as expected, struggled some. Darren Bennett, a 10 year NFL veteran, was brought in to compete for the punting job, but Eddie Johnson has shown remarkable improvement in mini camps in his technique, strength, and consistancy. The coaches are no longer sure that Bennett will make the team. As with all rookie kickers, with experience comes production. Will give this unit a B-.

This is year three of Tice's three year plan. This is the year he has to lay it all on the line, and prove that he's worthy of being a head coach in the NFL. The Vikings play a tough schedule, but they have historically played better against teams that were above .500, so that should not affect them in a negative way. This team looks capable of pulling off a 10-6 season, including a trip to the playoffs, with a grade of about a B.

NFC North Predictions

"TEXPACK" wrote:
    Franks has made it to 3 Probowls in 4 years. He is a mountain to move at 6'6" and 270lbs a fantastic run blocker and superb red zone receiver. Speed at opposite tight end is important and I believe what the Pack has addressed in the off season to make the offense work better.

Jimmy K. and Wiggens are very very average.
    Bubba Franks is living off his rep. Franks and Kleinsasser both had 4 TDs last year, and JK caught more balls for more yards.
    SKOL VIKINGS!

NFC North Predictions

I can kinda understand y they would trade up for a punter, once they play minnesota thats all there gonna do the whole game is punt. sry but the truth hurts. :bootyshake:

TEXPACK is offline Pro-Bowler

NFC North Predictions

I think Winfield is a top notch corner he E.J. Henderson (assuming he even plays this year) and Williams are the vikes best defenders.

Udeze may be great however being a person who is hesitant to give too much to an unproven rookie I continue to believe the only tried and true probowler on your D-line is Williams. Yes, Probowler you heard it from me he should make it this only his second year. Every team in the NFL now rotates its DL and as a unit the Vikings are a "C".

The secondary is unproven.

The Tightends are average. Have you ever considered the fact that the reason they only allow them to block is because that is all they are good at? Or that they have a hard time getting open? except for that squat down crap in the seams of a zone defense. They are not and never will keep a defensive coordinator up at night.

The running back corps of the vikings are impressive but, never have been difficult to stop when a defense focuses on them. Michael Bennett has much big play potential and the back ups are solid. solid B+
    Some of us will do our jobs well and some will not, but we will all be judged by only one thing - the result." --Vince Lombardi

ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

NFC North Predictions

Purplepat excellent points, you save me the time and effort of writing it out myself.

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.

NFC North Predictions

"TEXPACK" wrote:
    I think the Vikings will lose to Green Bay, Dallas, Philadelphia, Indianapolis, Tenessee, Detroit, Seattle, and Washington or Houston. 8-8 would be an accomplishment if you look at the vikes schedule, defensive personnel, and coaching staff.
    You really think the Vikings will lose home games against Dallas, Tennessee and Seattle? I guess it could happen, though I'll bet you $100 right now that the Vikings beat Dallas on Opening Day! Care to put your money where your mouth is?

So who are you predicting the Packers will lose to? Right now I see losses @Carolina, @Indianapolis, @Minnesota, @Philadelphia, and at home to St. Louis. Considering the sorry state of the Packers defense, I could also see home losses to Tennessee and Dallas, and on the road to Washington and Detroit. That would put the Packers at 7-9.

Realistically, I expect both the Vikings and the Packers to finish around 10-6, but I think the improvements the Vikings have made on defense and special teams (Darren Bennett at punter) will put the Vikings at better than 10-6. I think the Vikings will win at Philadelphia. The only two "sure" losses I'm feeling right now are at Indianapolis and at Green Bay.
    SKOL VIKINGS!

VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

NFC North Predictions

Yeah dude your way over your head on this one, the pack should have never made it to the playoffs last year but thats not whats important, whats important is whats goin to happen this year, your giving the DB's a C is very incorrect besides chavous and Winfield they have two young up and coming DB's, i'm a little surprised people don't mension Brian Williams more often this guy has some serious pop to him, he had six INT's Six sacks and somewhere around 70 tackles last year he comes in everygame improving i love the guy he is one of my favorite D players on the team, and he was in the top 10 CB's last year for playmaking #'s. Then u have Russell who had a huge year and we hope he can continue in that direction, but if not they have some valuable depth in Offord and Carter. That was one of the many of the position u graded inacerate, I just wanted to clear that one up but i'm sure u will think differently as the season starts.

WE WILL CRUSH U THIS YEAR, AND THERE IS NO STOPING IT

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast