Thread: NFC Misery?

Webby is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

NFC Misery?

Misery is widespread in the NFC. Had a chat with a colleague today and came up with some interesting points. What do you think?

The NFC at this point is a big mess of teams that appear by record nothing more than mediocre. There are maybe one or two top flight NFC teams winning. It more and more becomes that as each year passes:

One or two ungodly horrible teams. A whole bunch in the pack in the middle. One or two with a large winning record.

Why? Parity. Teams are becoming more and more evenly matched, franchise gold is hard to come by. Even decent teams are struggling above 500 as each week seems more and more to be dogfights.

People bemoan the fact that teams barely over .500 can make the playoffs. They make rush judgments, and quite frankly, illogical conclusions that everybody sucks to see this happen. Quite the opposite. If everyone sucked in the NFC, we would see far more than one or two teams with huge records. The reality is teams are closer and closer in overall talent, one team better in one area than the other. Top to bottom teams with deliverable talent on the roster are harder and harder to find.

So for you that cry for the Vikings, cry for the state of the NFC, cry for the jersey you burned...but perhaps turn that coin over and take a different look at whats happening.

This was the goal of the NFL. Parity. Any given Sunday. Perhaps we need to retune and love the game and the team for all these battles. I for one have loved the heartache each game has brought, even in victory or defeat. It is being the NFL fan.

Thoughts?

triedandtruevikesfan is offline Jersey Retired

NFC Misery?

I love the sport of football. Be it saturday college ball or Sunday NFL football. The way I look at it is. If we KNEW without a doubt who was gonna win the superbowl or a game on any given Sunday the game wouldn't have to be played.

Namely... I love the Vikings... granted I'm only 23 and haven't had the time to go through all the heartache as many of you. I still ache when we lose, but I will never lose faith. When we're down by a score or two towards the end of the game... I still have the faith that we will come back... that we can pull it off.

Injuries have been key this year to every team in the league. Our D... is well... awful. Especially in the first half of the game. Second half though they always give me hope. For whatever reason they seem to step it up then.

We're not a perfect team... there is no perfect team out there... but until its over... I'm still gonna hold onto my faith thats its not over till its over.

Blog Entries

NFC Misery?

Injuries too. Depth isn't big right now. Youth movement abounds in the league. Wish I had stats, but it feels like we have a record number of rookies tossed into starting positions the last few years across the league. Why?

x-ray jeff is offline Coordinator

misery

Could this be a reflection of societal problems?It seems like a lot of the best athletes wash out or don't live up to expectations.All the trash talking/me first stuff might have something to do with it.I've stuck with the Vikes for a long time and always will,but they never make it easy.A strong game against the Lions would help.GO VIKINGS!

Blog Entries

NFC Misery?

Strong point Xray. Never thought of that. Team seems to be second now, me first. Big change.

diesavike is offline Rookie

NFC Misery?

I just think its tough as a Viking fan because we know we're capable of beating any team, any week, we're a good enough team to do that, that's why I'm not giving up on our team, this year or any other year, cause I know we can beat anyone anytime. I've been let down alot by the Vikings over the years, but every summer, when they start training camp, I get all fired up to watch them play. I guess it's part of being a football and a Viking fan like Webby said.
    Sell crazy someplace else...we're all stocked up here.

RK.
    RK. is offline Ring of Fame Rally Cross II Champion

NFC Misery?

There isn't much parity between the AFC teams and NFC teams this year. The AFC are kicking the NFC teams butts. Case in point the Colts swept our division.
    Overall, the AFC is 28-17 against the NFC and needs only two more victories to guarantee a ninth consecutive season with a .500 or better interconference record.

Here's a more staggering statistic: The AFC's top seven teams (New England, Pittsburgh, New York Jets, Indianapolis, Baltimore, Denver and San Diego) are a combined 17-3 versus the NFC. Meanwhile, the NFC's top six teams (Philadelphia, Atlanta, Seattle, Green Bay and the Vikings) are a combined 8-6 against the AFC.

WWBGD

Blog Entries

NFC Misery?

"RK" wrote:
    There isn't much parity between the AFC teams and NFC teams this year. The AFC are kicking the NFC teams butts. Case in point the Colts swept our division.
    Overall, the AFC is 28-17 against the NFC and needs only two more victories to guarantee a ninth consecutive season with a .500 or better interconference record.

Here's a more staggering statistic: The AFC's top seven teams (New England, Pittsburgh, New York Jets, Indianapolis, Baltimore, Denver and San Diego) are a combined 17-3 versus the NFC. Meanwhile, the NFC's top six teams (Philadelphia, Atlanta, Seattle, Green Bay and the Vikings) are a combined 8-6 against the AFC.
    That's why I mentioned NFC specifically. Doesn't seem true in the AFC, but its trending that way. Just taking longer over there....besides, the AFC used to be our bitches religiously. LOL