Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Newman OK?

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Is Newman OK?

I just saw that he hurt his knee...does anyone know his status?
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

michaelmazid is offline Team Alumni

Re: Is Newman OK?

I sure hope so. We are gonna need him this week to help stop the run.

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

Is Raonall Smith really better than Napo? We put Smith in instead of Harris when Newman went down.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

"V-Unit" wrote:
    Is Raonall Smith really better than Napo? We put Smith in instead of Harris when Newman went down.
    Heck yeah he is!

Newman better be alright. He has been really strong this year and contributed a lot! (ask Kevin Jones) :lol:

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Excerpt from an article from the Star Tribune;

[size=18px]Newman might miss time because of sprained knee[/size]

Last update: December 11, 2005 at 9:49 PM

Linebacker Keith Newman, who has emerged as a leader of the Vikings' resurgent defense, will undergo an MRI this morning to determine the extent of a sprained right knee that could force him to miss several games.

Newman said after the Vikings' 27-13 victory over St. Louis that he likely has a sprained posterior cruciate ligament. A similar injury forced Vikings receiver Nate Burleson to miss three games earlier this season.

Newman said he was not in much pain afterward but was aware that he might not be ready to play until the regular-season finale Jan. 1 against Chicago.

"I would like to be out there," Newman said. "But if it's going to be a couple of games, we have more than enough capable bodies in the linebackers to fill the void."

Newman suffered the injury in the second quarter and was replaced at strong-side linebacker by Raonall Smith.

Full story;

http://www.startribune.com/stories/510/5776627.html

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

Thanks for the read Singer...

Let's hope he isn't out too long..

But as he says himself, plenty of back ups to fill the void..

Even Tice has stated in the past, one strong point about the Vikes this year is the number of good backups at most positions...

Maybe it's time for Napo to wake up.....EJ could fill in nicely also I would think....

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

mnjamie is offline Ring of Fame

Newman's injury and such ....

Posted on Mon, Dec. 12, 2005

Newman's injury worries Vikings

BY SEAN JENSEN AND TOM POWERS

Pioneer Press

Keith Newman, the Vikings' starting strong-side linebacker, sprained his right knee in the second quarter against the St. Louis Rams on Sunday and could miss several games.

Preliminary tests indicate Newman sprained his posterior cruciate ligament, an injury that sidelined receiver Nate Burleson for three games earlier this season. Newman, who was not available for comment, will undergo a magnetic resonance imaging exam today.

"We're very concerned," defensive coordinator Ted Cottrell said. "Keith is one of our main players, and I'm hopeful that he's OK. I don't think he's ever been hurt before. So this could be new for him."

Despite being barely among the top 10 tacklers on the team statistically, Newman is considered invaluable because of his leadership and attitude. One of the Vikings' top pass rushers, Newman has three sacks and seven tackles for losses. Given his effectiveness, some teams have avoided running the ball in his direction.

Raonall Smith, who leads the team in special teams tackles, replaced Newman on Sunday. But Smith finished with just one tackle.

Although they fear Newman's sprain could sideline him several games, the Vikings do not want to place him on the injured reserve list, hoping he can return if the team reaches the postseason.

Meanwhile, the Vikings got a scare when nose tackle Pat Williams writhed in pain early in the fourth quarter. A motorized cart pulled up to the sideline, and coach Mike Tice rushed onto the field to speak to Williams.

But Williams walked off the field on his own, and he returned to the game and made another tackle. Williams has a sprained right knee that athletic trainer Chuck Barta said he probably injured a few weeks ago. Williams has not missed any games.

The Vikings are expected to get all-pro defensive tackle Kevin Williams back next Sunday.

Other injuries: On a third-quarter pass to receiver Nate Burleson, quarterback Brad Johnson rolled his right ankle. He taped up the ankle and finished the game. Johnson dismissed the injury after the game.

Also, running back Michael Bennett suffered a right arm stinger in the fourth quarter on his lost fumble. But he returned to the game. Tight end Jim Kleinsasser suffered a lower right leg contusion but finished the game.

Less of Moore: Vikings running back Mewelde Moore was diplomatic when asked about not starting Sunday against the Rams and playing only a couple of snaps on offense.

"Everything was going well, so because everything was going right, there's no need to go into the shed and pull out one of the guys who's been kind of nicked up a little bit," said Moore, who has been hampered with wrist, quad and ankle injuries this season. "Coach is doing what he has to do for us to win. I'm available, and that's what counts."

Tice indicated otherwise.

"He had that quad banged up before he went out, and the trainers notified me he wasn't in any mental shape to go out and be an impact," Tice said.

Sixty minutes, people: Safety Darren Sharper called on Vikings fans to stay in their seats until the final gun. Many Minnesota spectators tend to head home as soon as the game is decided, one way or the other.

On Sunday, thousands made a beeline for the exits with just fewer than three minutes to play. By the end, the Metrodome was at least half empty.

"I'd like to see the fans stay the whole game," Sharper said. "Where I come from, the fans don't leave. It doesn't matter if you're three touchdowns ahead or three touchdowns behind."

Sharper previously played eight years with the Green Bay Packers.

Briefly: Receiver Koren Robinson had a couple of milestones Sunday. The first rushing touchdown of his career, a 13-yarder in the first quarter, made him the first Vikings receiver to do that since Anthony Carter in 1992. Robinson also tied the franchise record for fewest games needed to reach 1,000 kickoff return yards.

• Although they did not sack Johnson, the Rams effectively blitzed him, often with safeties.

"They couldn't stop it," St. Louis strong safety Adam Archuleta said. "So we were going to keep calling the same play until they showed us they could stop it."

• The Vikings converted just 2 of 12 third-down opportunities.

• Vikings cornerback Antoine Winfield's interception gives him four for the season, a career high.

http://www.twincities.com/mld/pioneerpress/sports/13386157.htm

happy camper is offline Team Alumni

Re: Newman's injury and such ....

"I'd like to see the fans stay the whole game," Sharper said. "Where I come from, the fans don't leave. It doesn't matter if you're three touchdowns ahead or three touchdowns behind."
    amen. its so sickening to see everyone leaving with 3 minutes left. you pay 40 bucks or more. + parking + food. and you dont stay for the whole game?

i park a little farther away from the dome. it costs less money, i get a better walk workout and i dont have traffic.
    "There is good and there is evil. And evil must be punished. Even in the face of Armageddon I will not compromise."

Mr. Purple is offline Ring of Fame

Re: Newman's injury and such ....

I HATE when people leave...you just payed all this money...sat threw almost all of it...and now your gonna leave to "beat" some traffic? so stupid. As far as Newman's injurie goes...it sucks...hes really become a huge playmaker on defense...I hope he can come back soon for our Playoff Run.

Theres NOTHING greater then a Florida Gator!
    "I promise everyone this. When Childress is let go in two years I can honestly say this.
    "I am not surprised"."-PurplePackerEater

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

The latest is that he is out two weeks:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=nfl&id=2257044

Same article says that Kluwe might be back...but not for sure!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast