Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Newman > Harris?

"OldManVike" wrote:
    I was listening to the game via NFL Field Pass, and the announcers kept saying how badly Harris was getting beaten in coverage by RB's and tight ends. Maybe he just needs more time to get used to his current position, but, it doesn't sound good to me.
    Thats true, he always seems to be behind the play when he is covering someone, bad passes and dropped passes have really saved him from being expossed as a weakness.

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

For run plays it seemed like either the D-Line was making the plays themselves. When that didn't happen, the LBs filled their gap well and our secondary was flying to the ball. Harris and Cowart may be playing good, I can't tell, but I definetly don't remember them making many run stops individually and their pass coverage aint too hot either. Napo was fooled by the sameplay two weeks in a row, both for TDs. I'm not ready to say bench them but there is definetly room for improvement.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

Big C is offline Coordinator

Well I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks Harris is not playing up to par. I can still remember a preseason game where the 3rd string offense ran two consecutive 10+ yard runs against our starting D because Harris overpursued and the RB (3rd string mind you) ran right by him.

In the Chargers pre-season game he totally blew coverage on the TE allowing for a 60 yard gain.

Yesterday I saw:
    1. He watched a player (RB or TE I think) catch a ball in front of him 2 or 3 yards short of the 1st down marker and he didn't even react. That setup 1st and goal.
    2. Very next play got beaten in coverage without any effort at all for a TD.
    3. Came on a blitz, got picked up by the RB and sort of just gave up on the play instead of banging in to the RB full steam. That would have nudged the RB a couple inches back right in to the QB. All I could think as I saw that was (if that was Newman...).

I think (as someone mentioned earlier) the only reason he is starting is because he is the player we got from the Moss trade.

We NEED a solid SAM LB (and EJ very badly!) to stop ATL's rushing attack next week.
    Halo 4. Start another fight.

Yeah EJ needs to get back on the field, nobody has mentioned it but Dontarius Thomas played horrible yesterday, looked confused, lost, and he is always late on everything catching guys from behind because he blew his coverage. He's got speed but does he got brains?

"Del Rio" wrote:
    Keep in mind Harris and Cowart are new to the system. Coming from completely different styles of play to try and make an impact here. Wasn't Harris a MLB as well?

I don't think he has made a BIG play that would make you say wow, but he seems to be around the ball alot.
    Besides which, we traded Randy Moss for him!!! How would it look if we benched the LB that we traded away the best receiver in the league for???

I hate to say it, but it's the truth. Tice could never bench him.
    Have you ever had a Big Kahuna Burger?

"DoraTheExplorer" wrote:
    "Del Rio" wrote:
    Keep in mind Harris and Cowart are new to the system. Coming from completely different styles of play to try and make an impact here. Wasn't Harris a MLB as well?

I don't think he has made a BIG play that would make you say wow, but he seems to be around the ball alot.
    Besides which, we traded Randy Moss for him!!! How would it look if we benched the LB that we traded away the best receiver in the league for???

I hate to say it, but it's the truth. Tice could never bench him.
    Well either way the NFL is a buisness and if he dont produce he will probably be benched. I want to see him do good, maybe its to early to bench him, we will see.

SamDawg84 Guest

bench him!! for only 2 games though. i thought he would already learn the system already! he was at all the minicamps. so y hasnt he produced yet?!

Wiggles67 is offline Coordinator

Yeah I agree with Dora I think Tice lets his pride get in the way occasionally and dont see Harris getting benched anytime soon. This is like the whole starting RB thing where Tice declared Bennet the man and no matter how poorly he played it seems as though he never even gave the other guys a shot. ...did anyone see the comments he made about MeMo after the game?

Tice:
    Mewelde runs hard; he has to take his game to the next level and finish drives. He has a long way to go; he made a number of mistakes like everyone did. We ran out of bounds in the four-minute drill. How young of a mistake is that, especially when you work on it twice a week? But he has a lot of talent. He's smart; he's tough. He has a knack of breaking tackles. He has a strong lower body, and he has a desire to be good, so it was a plus for us to get him going in there. It's good; it helps with your play-action if you can get the running game going.
    there is a lot more negative stuff in there then positive like he doest want to give him credit for his good game. blah!

"I choose my company by the beating of their hearts, not the swelling of their heads"

ThorSPL is offline Team Alumni

I see the way Tice dogs on Moore being one of two things:

1) He hates him and has no choice but to play him since the other options are not working.

2) He seems a LOT of potential in the kid and is using all of this as a motivating force for him. I won't say I do or don't agree with it, but certain coaches do get down on players and criticize them as a motivational factor. This may be the case since he acknowledges (but downplays) all of what Moore does well and is quick to point out he has a lot to learn and a lot to improve on.

Trust me, I'm a doctor.

www.twitter.com/ThorSPL

I dont get it, what is Tice's problem with Moore. Dude's a G, he can say this and that but bottome line is we win with moore, whens the last time we started bennett and won the game? Whens the last time he rushed for 100 yards?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast