Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Re: New Vikings Quarterback Still Poses Threat To Packers

[size=18px]Vikings confident of new quarterback[/size]

Kevin Seifert, Star Tribune
    Last update: November 18, 2005 at 9:35 PM

If the Vikings find themselves in yet another close game Monday night against Green Bay, they'll take their chances with quarterback Brad Johnson.

Johnson impressed teammates with his decisive play-calling during the game-winning drive in Sunday's 24-21 victory over the Giants. That confidence should come in handy against the Packers, whose past six games against the Vikings have been decided by five points or fewer -- the second-longest regular-season streak in NFL history.

"Brad stayed calm," receiver Nate Burleson said. "He got in the huddle and ad-libbed a little bit. He went to each receiver and told us what route he wanted us to run. All the credit goes to Brad. He was able to control it, to orchestrate what we did. We made the plays because he put us in position to."

Injury report

Burleson (hip, shoulder, knee) returned to practice Friday after sitting out Thursday. Tice said the day off did "wonders," and the coach seemed more optimistic that Burleson will play in some capacity against the Packers.

Burleson said he feels "fine" with the exception of a sore neck.

"I'm assuming I'm playing," he said. "I'm suiting up. Until I hear otherwise, I'm ready to play Monday night."

Center Melvin Fowler (oblique muscle) practiced Friday, but Cory Withrow was working with the first team and Anthony Herrera with the second team during the portion of practice open to the media. Fowler -- who is "a little more sore than we hoped," according to Tice -- remains probable.

In Green Bay, receiver Robert Ferguson was carted off the practice field after injuring his knee in practice. Ferguson was scheduled to play for the first time since tearing the lateral collateral ligament in his knee Oct. 23 against the Vikings, but as of Friday evening his status was unclear.

Antonio Chatman would start in Ferguson's place.

Stepping in

Tice said new left guard Toniu Fonoti weighs about 386 pounds, down from the 404 pounds Fonoti carried Oct. 18 when the Vikings acquired him. The team wants Fonoti to lower his weight to a range of 372-374 pounds, and Tice said losing the remaining 12-14 pounds will be "like taking a deck chair off the Queen Mary."

"It's not that big of a deal," Tice said. "Losing 12 pounds is like the captain telling you to take a suitcase off a 747. It is not that big of a factor."

Etc.

• The NFL fined New York Giants defensive end Osi Umenyiora $7,500 for a helmet-to-helmet hit on Johnson last week.

• Owner Zygi Wilf and his investor group are still discussing options for renovating Winter Park, a project that would begin as early as January if a decision comes soon. Wilf, who essentially has completed his project of writing an organizational code of conduct, will tour Lambeau Field on Monday evening with several of his partners.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Freya is offline Team Alumni

"Brad stayed calm," receiver Nate Burleson said. "He got in the huddle and ad-libbed a little bit. He went to each receiver and told us what route he wanted us to run. All the credit goes to Brad. He was able to control it, to orchestrate what we did. We made the plays because he put us in position to."
    Yeah! :grin:

Personally, I don't think there is intelligent life on other planets. Why should other planets be any different from this one?

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"Freya" wrote:
    Yeah! :grin:
    That's what I'm talking about! The team is starting to "believe" in Brad. If they run their routes like they should, our quick strike offense will keep improving.

I'd rather see them catching a lot more balls on the run, than standing their waiting for it.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

collegeguyjeff is offline Hall of Famer

"mnvikes61" wrote:
    "Paulbedy59" wrote:
    I hope the running game clicks and brad can mix in some play-action.
    that sounds like the plan, since we activated Fontoi and sat Liwenski. i can't wait to the running attack, if it clicks at all the game is going to be ours i'd say :grin:

I can't freaking wait for Monday!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SKOL VIKINGS
    heck yeah fontuii is a bull dozer he just might be able to open some big holes and i hope he does, if he can just think what could happen for our running game which i think we'll have to rely so much on because of the poor field conditions.
    I don t buy Wisconsin cheese.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123