Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
    mountainviking is offline Team Alumni

New Vikings Offensive Coordinator!?

So, slowly but surely slowly we're seeing Frazier assemble his coaching staff. The Big Question, and, where we need the most help IMO, is still Offense. Is there anybody out there who still thinks the KAO kicks arse? I am all for a new system.

We also, obviously, need to develop a long term answer at QB. Any current OCs would have to be given the title of Asst. Head Coach in order for us to make it a "move up," for them, and likely, they're happy where they're at anyway. That, combined with our QB need led me to scouring the league's QB coaches, since that experience would fill two needs and OC would be a legitimate promotion.

After checking the history, titles etc of any and all successful young QB's tutors, I've think I've found the guy for us: Tom Clements, QBs coach Pukers.

http://www.packers.com/team/coaches/tom-clements/bb67e02f-a2b1-4543-83af-00f437249c9f

He joined the Puker staff in 2006 and helped coach the Favre to his best completion percentage of his career at that point in time. His success with Rodgers speaks for itself. Before that, for two years, he was the OC of the Buffalo Bills where he led Lynch to back-to-back 1000 yard seasons and took a who-dat quarterback, Kelly Holcomb, to a Bills record 67.39 completion percentage. Before that he was the QB coach with the Steelers who helped Tommy Maddox win Comeback Player of the Year. He has also worked with the Chiefs, Saints, and Notre Dame.

As a player in the CFL, he was named All-Pro 7 times and won Most Outstanding Offensive Player while winning their Grey-Cup championship twice! In college he finished fourth in Heisman voting while leading Notre Dame to a National Championship and an overall 29-5 record. This guy is a winner!

And, he's smart enough to have practiced law for 5 years before becoming a coach.

Those 1000 yard seasons tell me his philosophy will likely fit what Frazier has in mind, his experience as a championship winner fits in with Leslie's message as well, and maybe, the gravy, would be that he's got extra insight how to play vs. our most hated rivals. I know we gotta wait til they lose, but don't you think Tom should get an interview!?!?!???

SKOL VIKINGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :woohoo:

BAAAHWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOO!
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

peterson-rox28 is offline Pro-Bowler

Re: New Vikings Offensive Coordinator!?

I wouldn't be disappointed if thats the direction we go.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Favre was already great before Clements came along. Did he really help Favre? Rodgers? Or did he simply go along for the ride?

Derrick Bevell was the previous QB coach in GB. Favre was great under him & you saw where that got us this past season.

Are you sure you want another Packers QB coach to be our next OC? Or are you suggesting an ex-Pucker just to rile Marrdro? :side:

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by "singersp" #1087673
    Favre was already great before Clements came along. Did he really help Favre? Rodgers? Or did he simply go along for the ride?

Derrick Bevell was the previous QB coach in GB. Favre was great under him & you saw where that got us this past season.

Are you sure you want another Packers QB coach to be our next OC? Or are you suggesting an ex-Pucker just to rile Marrdro? :side:
    31 of 36 on the road is an ok ride, Flynn also did alright with his road start against the Pats even with the lose (didn't do as well coming off the bench against the Lions though). I'm not sure I would overlook him as a candidate just because he is currently with the Packers.

Quote Originally Posted by "vikinggreg" #1087677
    Quote Originally Posted by "singersp" #1087673

31 of 36 on the road is an ok ride, Flynn also did alright with his road start against the Pats even with the lose (didn't do as well coming off the bench against the Lions though). I'm not sure I would overlook him as a candidate just because he is currently with the Packers.
    Not saying we should. But is their success solely because of the QB coach?

Perhaps it's their OC or even their OL coach who gets his players to protect the QB that make the difference.

Bottom line though, sight unseen, he's gotta be better than Bevell.

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni

Thing is, is the rest of the history before GB. He's had success nearly all the way along the ride, but most importantly, as OC for 2 years in BUF...experience at the position we need to fill, and, hopefully, help for whoever our QBs end up being next season!! And, a history of his teams running the ball regularly, and passing acurately!

BUF 2 * 1000 yds seasons! PIT! KC! NO with Ditka! That track record tells me he probably knows about making the running game a focus!
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

Quote Originally Posted by "mountainviking" #1087679
    Thing is, is the rest of the history before GB. He's had success nearly all the way along the ride, but most importantly, as OC for 2 years in BUF...experience at the position we need to fill, and, hopefully, help for whoever our QBs end up being next season!! And, a history of his teams running the ball regularly, and passing acurately!

BUF 2 * 1000 yds seasons! PIT! KC! NO with Ditka! That track record tells me he probably knows about making the running game a focus!
    Thing is, the NFL is a passing league now. Teams are getting to the SB by passing the ball, not pounding it.

Why is he no longer OC in Buffalo or any other team? a coach that is supposedly that good shouldn't have had to take a demotion from an OC to a QB coach, should he?

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

why would any coach leave a great organization like the packers for one in disarray like the vikings?

I am sure Bevell is regretting the damage it did to his career.

Minniman is offline Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1087683
    why would any coach leave a great organization like the packers for one in disarray like the vikings?

I am sure Bevell is regretting the damage it did to his career.
    What career? It is not like he was a hot OC before coming to Minnesota.

Quote Originally Posted by "singersp" #1087680
    Quote Originally Posted by "mountainviking" #1087679

Thing is, the NFL is a passing league now. Teams are getting to the SB by passing the ball, not pounding it.

Why is he no longer OC in Buffalo or any other team? a coach that is supposedly that good shouldn't have had to take a demotion from an OC to a QB coach, should he?
    Steelers? Giants? Both can throw and win but when they won super bowls it was with a run first philosophy. There's not only one way to win in the NFL.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast