Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

New Vikings Learn Offense

[size=13pt]New Vikings Learn Offense[/size]

07/26/2008 11:23 PM

keloland.com

For the last several seasons, the biggest consistent problem the Vikings have had has been their passing game. Third-year quarterback Tarvaris Jackson has certainly taken his fair share of criticism, but going into this season, Jackson seems like the only thing that hasn't changed.....

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re: New Vikings Learn Offense

Thanks for the read my friend.
    Wish they would have went a bit deeper into the method by which they are installing the offense.

"I always like to see Tarvaris connect with Bernard Berrian on a deep ball," offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell said. "Those are nice to see."

That's the combination Vikings fans are hoping to see a lot of this upcoming season.
    The only ones wanting to see alot of that are the ones who can't get over the "Randy Ratio".

My guess is we will only see 2 or 3 deep shots a game with alot of dink/dunk play action passing set up by the running attack.

Long story short, alot of boring play calling of AD/CT off left T, off right G, up the gut.
    ;D
    ;D
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"Marrdro" wrote:
    Wish they would have went a bit deeper into the method by which they are installing the offense.

"I always like to see Tarvaris connect with Bernard Berrian on a deep ball," offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell said. "Those are nice to see."

That's the combination Vikings fans are hoping to see a lot of this upcoming season.
    The only ones wanting to see alot of that are the ones who can't get over the "Randy Ratio".

My guess is we will only see 2 or 3 deep shots a game with alot of dink/dunk play action passing set up by the running attack.

Long story short, alot of boring play calling of AD/CT off left T, off right G, up the gut.
    ;D
    ;D
    ;D
    I still laugh over that one. It had absolutely no bearing on the game.

Had that never been mentioned, our opponents still knew we were going to get the ball to Moss 60% of the time.

Hell, there was no mention of a ratio last year, but teams knew when AD was in there he was going to get the ball the majority of the time.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

"singersp" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

;D
    ;D
    ;D

Had that never been mentioned, our opponents still knew we were going to get the ball to Moss 60% of the time.

Hell, there was no mention of a ratio last year, but teams knew when AD was in there he was going to get the ball the majority of the time.
    Quit trying to kill my fun.
    Call it stirring the pot if you will, however, there are still a few posters on here that get all upset when I mock the Randy Ratio.

Failing on my part that I like to rub it in.

;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

digital420 is offline Team Alumni

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

;D
    ;D
    ;D

Call it stirring the pot if you will, however, there are still a few posters on here that get all upset when I mock the Randy Ratio.

;D

it's the old Mar kreeping out during the season!

beware!!

DiGiTaL

"We tried to stick with it, but there was a point where we were beating our head against a wall," Seattle Coach Mora talking about running at the Williams Wall

"digital420" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

;D
    ;D
    ;D

;D

it's the old Mar kreeping out during the season!

beware!!

DiGiTaL
    LOL.
    Now your just cracking me up.
    ;D

MetalMike-LoudVike is offline Hall of Famer

I just wann see balance. Who's wants to see balance? Which would make them not one dimensional but whats going on? The pass needs ease the pressure off the run-game.
    IN THE PITS ON THE RIVER BEDS EVRY VIKING FAN WILL RISE & VAHALLA SHALL REJOICE WITH THE MOST GLORIOUS PRIZE LOMBARDI'S TROPHY

"MetalMike-LoudVike" wrote:
    I just wann see balance. Who's wants to see balance? Which would make them not one dimensional but whats going on? The pass needs ease the pressure off the run-game.
    The running game was fine early on in the season without a passing game.
    :

Long story short, of course the passing attack will be better and it will add a bit more balance, but lets not forget that AD's numbers went down after his injury, not because of the passing game (or lack there of) alone.

DaunteHOF is offline Coach

focus on the run game and when they stick 8 in the box we pass, simple as that
    Its not braggin if you can do it!!!

StillPurple is offline Hall of Famer

It is a myth that you win with running in the modern NFL. Teams that win in the NFL (that is, if they don't have ridiculously good defense like the Bucs or Ravens did, when they won), have great passing games. This is true of the Pats, Colts, etc. The truth is, you win and you score in the NFL with passing, and running is an adjunct to that, and is used only when the passing breaks down. I think that this is also something our coaches don't believe, but most NFL coaches do. Running is mainly used to keep the defenders from going back into max protect, and to run out the clock. The idea that you are going to win by pounding the ball and then the pass will be used to keep the defense honest, is, in my view, a dangerous myth.

Let's just look at how the most successful teams do it, in terms of run/pass balance:

- Patriots: pass first, run is used second, to keep the defense honest.
    - Colts: pass-happy, ditto.
    - Chargers: mixed, more run-oriented, but great passing too, with the TE used a lot
    - Giants: mixed
    - Cowboys: passing comes first
    - Packers: passing
    - Seattle: passing
    - etc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast