Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: New Stadium, commercials released (Video & Audio)

"finnishvikingsfan" wrote:
    I just seen one of the commercials. I think it is a good thing that is going to commerical and stuff.
    I just saw my first one tonight, and think its awesome!

4Vikings is offline Waterboy

Cool commercial. but I think the stadium looks boring. It will definetly need a better design come time to voting.

DaunteHOF is offline Coach

hopefully, it would help the vikings revenue
    Its not braggin if you can do it!!!

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Posted on Wed, Mar. 01, 2006

[size=18px]A little boost from Bud? Tired stadium rhetoric finds fresh voice[/size]

DAVE CAMPBELL
    Associated Press

You might have got an e-mail from Bud Grant recently. He's been sending a lot.

Well, his name is at the bottom on them at least, and he's doing the Minnesota Vikings a favor by injecting a fresh, supposedly trusted voice into the chalkboard screeching otherwise known as the stadium debate that has gone on in this state for the past decade-plus.

Who knows if this will do any good, or bad, depending on your position. If you're apathetic, then, well, what difference does it make anyway? But the old coach has taken time out from his fishing and hunting pursuits to offer a candid viewpoint on the latest proposal one of our professional sports teams has put on the table for a governmental body to ponder.

"How can you turn that down?" Grant said, reflecting on the $1 billion owner Zygi Wilf has pledged to invest in this development project - dubbed Northern Lights - that will include shops, restaurants, office space, a medical center and preserved wetlands and trails in addition to the two-ton gorilla of a retractable-roof stadium that the team wants built in Blaine.

In return, toward the $675 price tag on the stadium, owner Zygi Wilf is asking for $280 million from Anoka County and $115 million from the state.
    The Vikings are serious, and if you look and listen closely, desperate.

They've hired a California public relations firm to push their plan and collected several notable, plain-speaking Minnesotans to help promote it.

Grant is at the forefront of this.

Loyalty, sure. Acknowledgment of his old team's widespread popularity, yes. Passion for sports, of course. Grant sounds too, though, just as much like a gruff old man who - annoyed by all the empty promises and empty threats made by wishy-washy politicians - simply wants this issue to go away so we can all move on with our lives.

"They never do anything about it," Grant said in an interview this week.
    Oh, did he mention he's fed up with the legislative and gubernatorial inaction?

"We have no leadership. They rule by a herd. Nobody is in charge. ... It reminds me of a bunch of cows," Grant said.

Probably the biggest reason why these stadium problems have not been solved since the Twins first piped up about the Metrodome's inadequacies in the mid-1990s is that the opposition has bipartisan roots.

Nothing brings the antispenders and the social-service advocates together like a good old stadium plan!

As a writer whose sports-fan soul was sold when I entered the business, I truly do not care if the Gophers or Twins or Vikings (alphabetized to eliminate perceived slights) find ways to build new homes. I would love to have better working conditions than that old decrepit Dome, but so would the people in accounts payable in the basement of your office building.

I've got just as much skepticism and cynicism toward the rich as the next guy, but the "Build it yourself, Carl" and "Build it yourself, Zygi" arguments are SO old. Yes, they could foot the entire bill. But that's not the way professional sports work, for right or for wrong. And yes, the public IS asked to subsidize private business, sometimes, when the government believes it can spur economic growth. It's just that nobody notices unless a ball or a puck or a bat is involved.

The weak-kneed, special-interested politicians are eye-rollers, sure, as is the sugary, "Go team!" garbage that's constantly spewed from the front-office execs.

What really gets me, though, is why everything in this world always has to be about revenue. There have to be some people who care more about, well, people than profits, right?

How cool would it be if somebody, somewhere, sometime, stood up someday and said, "We know that we could make a little bit more money by doing this a little differently, but we happen to like it the way it is." And then it would be just as cool to watch Selig or Tagliabue or any of those other suits go into convulsions immediately after.

You have to wonder if anyone has ever suggested to Pohlad or Wilf or any of their peers that they pay for the stadium entirely out of their own pocket, put their name on it and be publicly praised for eternity as the people who saved their sport in their town.

But that's not reality, and what we're left with is all the rhetoric. That's why, even if nobody really listens to him, that it's nice to hear Grant's voice in this.

At least it's something different to write about.

Dave Campbell can be reached at [email protected]

A little boost from Bud

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

ChezPizmo is offline Coordinator

Is anyone going to sign up or join "Minnesota Momentum" by any chance?

https://www.minnesotamomentum.com/Reg.jsp
    [size=11pt]"The only thing better than food & football is maybe Brett Favre."

[size=8pt]

-John Madden on Thanksgiving while on "Mike & Mike In The Morning"

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

I joined. Not that my membership does much good, since I am a ND resident. But I still support the stadium plan.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Turboe is offline Hall of Famer

"ChezPizmo" wrote:

I did so a week or so ago, although as a SC resident I also dont know if that really helps them much.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"Turboe" wrote:
    "ChezPizmo" wrote:

I did so a week or so ago, although as a SC resident I also dont know if that really helps them much.
    I think it does whether you realize it or not.

They'll see that their membership comes from many different states in support of the stadium, not just from Minnesota.

It should also tell them that many fans from outside the state would possibly be coming to MN for Vikings games & bringing in additional "tourism" which would be great for the state.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Turboe is offline Hall of Famer

"singersp" wrote:
    "Turboe" wrote:
    "ChezPizmo" wrote:

I think it does whether you realize it or not.

They'll see that their membership comes from many different states in support of the stadium, not just from Minnesota.

It should also tell them that many fans from outside the state would possibly be coming to MN for Vikings games & bringing in additional "tourism" which would be great for the state.
    Hadn't really thought about that angle, that is true. Lets hope so, I am going to email all my friends and tell them to get on the team.

Wyndy11 is offline Rookie

The tax increase is so small you would barely notice it. We have to put up with it here if you buy anything in the Green Bay area due the the renovation of that other place which I refuse to mention.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast