singersp is offline PPO Newshound

New stadium & Baseball field?

Vikings dig in vs. plans for baseball in new stadium

Vikings dig in vs. plans for baseball in new stadium | StarTribune.com

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    I have an idea - don't cram a baseball stadium into a football stadium. Or maybe they should have considered collegiate and high school baseball when they built the new Twins stadium - paid for with a larger percentage of public money. If they wanted a first class collegiate baseball experience, it should start with a baseball stadium.

But of course not, the rampant piss poor planning of the Minnesota Legislature rears its ugly head again.

With that being said, 280 feet to the right field line is ridiculously small. I expect the Vikings to concede this issue in lea of some other concession by the state.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NodakPaul View Post
    I have an idea - don't cram a baseball stadium into a football stadium.
    Agreed. I actually never once read that they were looking at making the new stadium accommodate baseball. I can see them wanting them to be able to use it for football programs etc but the whole bitch about the dome was it didn't work well for both sports so why this was not understood is baffling.

Or maybe they should have considered collegiate and high school baseball when they built the new Twins stadium - paid for with a larger percentage of public money. If they wanted a first class collegiate baseball experience, it should start with a baseball stadium.
    Pretty much common sense there.
    But of course not, the rampant piss poor planning of the Minnesota Legislature rears its ugly head again.
    Legislature? It isn't the legislature, it is the MSFC which is the reason why I have said all along the team should just build themselves the way they want so they don't have to deal with compromise and interference from state mandated commissions.

With that being said, 280 feet to the right field line is ridiculously small. I expect the Vikings to concede this issue in lea of some other concession by the state.
    I think this is stupid. It would have made soooo much more sense to leave the dome where it is, let it be used by baseball teams, maybe even move the Saints semi pro baseball team across the river into it and then put the Vikings stadium up in Arden Hills where it would have given a superior fan experience to the cesspool that is the current stadium location. But, I guess it was easier to say just build it anywhere with any configuration and deal with a half assed design in the end that puts us right back to where we were with the dome.

Tad7 is offline Team Alumni
    I didn't even really know about the baseball being played there. I'm sure I heard it but didn't think too much about it. What a freaking mess. That's gonna hurt the seating a lot.
    Skol Vikings! Go Cubs!

X MARKS THE SPOT

Minniman is offline Hall of Famer
    Why not play baseball at Target Field?

Oh yes, it is an outdoor park.

I was not expecting another baseball/football compromise in this stadium. When was that part of the plan, and wasn't that part of the problem with the Metrodome?

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    This is the first I ever heard about them wanting to accommodate playing baseball in the new football stadium. Funny it was never made public before now in all their talks of funding & uses of the stadium. Soccer yes, baseball no.

With that said, you'd have thought they would have learned after trying to play football at Met Stadium baseball park & trying to stuff a baseball field into the Metrodome with moving bleachers that it just isn't ideal.

Why sacrifice/ruin a perfectly good football stadium to accommodate a few early high school & some early collegiate practices/games? Were not even talking about all their games, it's just a few of their early ones until they go outside.

How many millions of dollars are these high schools & the UM forking out for the Vikings stadium? It must be a shitload if it's influencing the design of the stadium & delaying it that much.
    Last edited by singersp; 01-28-2013 at 06:58 AM.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    This is the first I ever heard about them wanting to accommodate playing baseball in the new football stadium. Funny it was never made public before now in all their talks of funding & uses of the stadium. Soccer yes, baseball no.

With that said, you'd have thought they would have learned after trying to play football at Met Stadium baseball park & trying to stuff a baseball field into the Metrodome with moving bleachers that it just isn't ideal.

Why sacrifice/ruin a perfectly good football stadium to accommodate a few high school & collegiate practices/games?

Chalk that up to the crowd who as all for just getting the bill signed and working out the details later.

Why not just keep the done for those events and build the football stadium in a location they don't have to shoehorn everything into in the first place?

I read an article yesterday that now the league is looking into changing the format of seating in their next generation of stadiums where there will only be 40000 seats and then like 20-40000 of standing room only where it is set up like a bar so more than likely just like the dome this one will be outdated 5 years after it is built.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    Legislature? It isn't the legislature, it is the MSFC which is the reason why I have said all along the team should just build themselves the way they want so they don't have to deal with compromise and interference from state mandated commissions.
    It sounds like this is the state, not the MSFC (actually, it is the MSFA now ).

I did look into the bill itself, and there is actually nothing in the bill regarding its use as a collegiate baseball stadium in the initial submission. There was, however, a clause later inserted in Section 7, Subdivision 1, Paragraph d that authorized a liquor license for collegiate baseball games.
    (d) A city may issue an on-sale wine license and an on-sale malt liquor license to a person who is the owner of a summer collegiate league baseball team, or to a person holding a concessions or management contract with the owner, for beverage sales at a ballpark or stadium located within the city for the purposes of summer collegiate league baseball games at the ballpark or stadium, notwithstanding any law, local ordinance, or charter provision. A license issued under this paragraph authorizes sales on all days of the week to persons attending baseball games at the ballpark or stadium.
    This was added as part of the second engrossment on the final day of the bill - the day that it was in the Senate well into the night. So it was some legislator who put it in, although it is hard to say who influenced it. Considering that there is no fiscal reason to accommodate 36 games per year at the expense of design, I tend to think it was someone with ties to the U of M who put it in rather than the Stadium Authority.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    Chalk that up to the crowd who as all for just getting the bill signed and working out the details later.

Why not just keep the done for those events and build the football stadium in a location they don't have to shoehorn everything into in the first place?

I read an article yesterday that now the league is looking into changing the format of seating in their next generation of stadiums where there will only be 40000 seats and then like 20-40000 of standing room only where it is set up like a bar so more than likely just like the dome this one will be outdated 5 years after it is built.
    Bleh. I hope they don't do that. I could see them adding more standing room only spaces given the success of the Cowboys SRO spots, but that would be over the top.

I also read that the new stadium was going to incorporate bar like areas like the Xcel and Target Field though, so we might be ahead of the game. And I also think it is easier to transform a seating area to a SRO area than vice versa. So I think (hope) we should be good for a few decades at least.
    Zeus wrote:

=Z=

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NodakPaul View Post
    . So I think (hope) we should be good for a few decades at least.

Me too but man are things changing fast in the world. Ten years ago you would never have imagined you would be able to watch games live on your phone or that you could get a 55 inch HD TV for 800 dollars that brings the game right into the living room. With tech accelerating imagine what we will have for options in even 10 years from now and then think of 40 years from now when it will be paid for. I cannot imagine that we will still be even looking at things the same way by then. Of course I will be looking up at the daisies by then but that is besides the point. Maybe I can watch them in 3D.