Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 91

Thread: New Stadium

  1. #21
    Purple Floyd's Avatar
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    16,646
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: New Stadium

    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "Formo" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:
    What is wrong with the dome?
    Die.
    =P
    I was just at the dome last week for a baseball game and found nothing physically wrong with it. In fact, I thought for it's age that it looked surprisingly clean, bright and well maintained. If they need to make more money, maybe they should raise ticket prices until they get to the amount of income they need. Also, beer is still under 10 dollars a glass so there is room for more money to be made there.
    If you were there for a baseball game, then you probably only had about 20000 other fans to deal with, making the narrow concourses and long lines in the bathrooms not so bad.


    Now I know that you know this, because we have talked about it many times, but the Vikings don't get a single penny from concessions in the dome.
    And raising ticket prices would not help at all, since general ticket sales go into the NFL's shared revenue fund.
    What the Vikings are missing are luxury seats, which do not get pooled.
    One of the biggest reasons that the Vikings tickets cost as much as they do is because they do not have the high end seats to offset the price.

    As far as being well maintained, I guess you forgot the river of raw sewage running down the concourse during the last game of the 2006 season...

    Come on UffDa, you are a pretty intelligent guy.
    You have made some very good arguments against a publicly funded stadium in the past.
    Stick to them.
    When you try to make the case that the Metrodome is still a viable venue for the Vikings to play in, then you go down a notch.
    The question about whether or not a new stadium is needed was answered long ago.
    Now we are just looking for a way to pay for it.
    As far as the sewage goes, will the engineers sign a document that they guarantee that there will never be an event like that at a new stadium? I deal with engineers and I can answer that for you if you like
    The building itself looks pretty clean and well maintained,which it should considering it is not that old.

    As far as the concessions. I think that is one of the things that the team should be able to get revenue from. What is preventing that from happening and if a new one is built, will they get the same deal? If they get no concession revenue from the new one then I can't see that deal being any good.

    Your answers really do a good job of supporting my position that the team should build the stadium themselves.

    -First is cost.

    Any time a project gets public funding, the cost is significantly higher than it would be if it were funded privately.

    -Second is where the money goes

    If the team has to give up the revenue for parking, the concessions, income from conventions,concerts etc they are losing out on a great deal of money. With complete ownership,wilf can capture all of that income,rent etc that they now lose to the met council.

    -Building conditions.

    With the government owning the building the crew in charge of maintaining it has to deal with the cumbersome bureaucracy that oversees the facility when something needs to be fixed. In private hands you can have a more responsive, proactive facilities management plan and respond to potential problems before the become a seeping pool of stench.

    -Income

    This is one of the areas where a little thinking outside the box could really help fill the stadium and pay for it rapidly. What I would support is a joint venture between Wilf and the native tribes in which the stadium is fitted with video gambling at every seat. This can be a tremendous source of revenue as people pass their time during intermissions, halftime and the times when we are in passing situations
    . just swipe your debit card and play slots, video blackjack etc with the revenue to be shared between Wilf and the tribe. No public money would be needed and there would be extra income from every event held. They could set up private gambling tables in every luxury box and also in the concourse and any other place there is room. In fact, they could tie a whole fully fitted casino and hotel into the complex and really have something bigger and better than the rest of the league and a revenue source that no other team has,which would give them a huge advantage until the rest of the league caught up.

    Was that better? ;D


  2. #22
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,602
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: New Stadium

    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "Formo" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:
    What is wrong with the dome?
    Die.
    =P
    I was just at the dome last week for a baseball game and found nothing physically wrong with it. In fact, I thought for it's age that it looked surprisingly clean, bright and well maintained. If they need to make more money, maybe they should raise ticket prices until they get to the amount of income they need. Also, beer is still under 10 dollars a glass so there is room for more money to be made there.
    If you were there for a baseball game, then you probably only had about 20000 other fans to deal with, making the narrow concourses and long lines in the bathrooms not so bad.


    Now I know that you know this, because we have talked about it many times, but the Vikings don't get a single penny from concessions in the dome.
    And raising ticket prices would not help at all, since general ticket sales go into the NFL's shared revenue fund.
    What the Vikings are missing are luxury seats, which do not get pooled.
    One of the biggest reasons that the Vikings tickets cost as much as they do is because they do not have the high end seats to offset the price.

    As far as being well maintained, I guess you forgot the river of raw sewage running down the concourse during the last game of the 2006 season...

    Come on UffDa, you are a pretty intelligent guy.
    You have made some very good arguments against a publicly funded stadium in the past.
    Stick to them.
    When you try to make the case that the Metrodome is still a viable venue for the Vikings to play in, then you go down a notch.
    The question about whether or not a new stadium is needed was answered long ago.
    Now we are just looking for a way to pay for it.
    As far as the sewage goes, will the engineers sign a document that they guarantee that there will never be an event like that at a new stadium? I deal with engineers and I can answer that for you if you like
    The building itself looks pretty clean and well maintained,which it should considering it is not that old.

    As far as the concessions. I think that is one of the things that the team should be able to get revenue from. What is preventing that from happening and if a new one is built, will they get the same deal? If they get no concession revenue from the new one then I can't see that deal being any good.

    Your answers really do a good job of supporting my position that the team should build the stadium themselves.

    -First is cost.

    Any time a project gets public funding, the cost is significantly higher than it would be if it were funded privately.

    -Second is where the money goes

    If the team has to give up the revenue for parking, the concessions, income from conventions,concerts etc they are losing out on a great deal of money. With complete ownership,wilf can capture all of that income,rent etc that they now lose to the met council.

    -Building conditions.

    With the government owning the building the crew in charge of maintaining it has to deal with the cumbersome bureaucracy that oversees the facility when something needs to be fixed. In private hands you can have a more responsive, proactive facilities management plan and respond to potential problems before the become a seeping pool of stench.

    -Income

    This is one of the areas where a little thinking outside the box could really help fill the stadium and pay for it rapidly. What I would support is a joint venture between Wilf and the native tribes in which the stadium is fitted with video gambling at every seat. This can be a tremendous source of revenue as people pass their time during intermissions, halftime and the times when we are in passing situations
    . just swipe your debit card and play slots, video blackjack etc with the revenue to be shared between Wilf and the tribe. No public money would be needed and there would be extra income from every event held. They could set up private gambling tables in every luxury box and also in the concourse and any other place there is room. In fact, they could tie a whole fully fitted casino and hotel into the complex and really have something bigger and better than the rest of the league and a revenue source that no other team has,which would give them a huge advantage until the rest of the league caught up.

    Was that better? ;D

    That was much better. ;D

    I too wish that it would be funded privately.
    Unfortunately a stadium is such a huge financial undertaking that it doesn't make it feasible for most private entities to do it.
    However, if Wilf has the funds I would be all for it.
    It is a proven successful venture - just look at Kraft in NE and Ralph Wilson in Buffalo.
    Not to mention what-his-name in LA.
    A private stadium, even if it is football only, does very well.
    Unfortunately, I don't believe that Wilf and his partners have the capital for an investment like that.
    Some people confuse being rich with having unlimited funds...

    As far as the onsite casino - the NFL would never approve it.
    It is a nice idea, but that is about it.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

  3. #23
    i_bleed_purple's Avatar
    i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Canadialand
    Posts
    16,777
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: New Stadium

    also remember, the Pats had a dynasty* People would come out to see them in the bitter cold without a problem, and there was a HUGE market in the East coast.
    Same with the Bills, one of the best teams in the leage for a while (not sure when their stadium was built, but probably not long after then).
    VIkings however, are a small market team, in a small market area (lets be honest, Minneapolis can not even come close to comparing with some of the East coast cities in terms of size and number of fans).
    Also, the vikings haven't exactly been too strong the past few years, so were not attracting too many new fans, so will probably have a hard time justifying an outdoor, privately owned stadium.

  4. #24
    seaniemck7's Avatar
    seaniemck7 is offline Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Posts
    1,453

    Re: New Stadium

    UffDaVikes
    -Income

    This is one of the areas where a little thinking outside the box could really help fill the stadium and pay for it rapidly. What I would support is a joint venture between Wilf and the native tribes in which the stadium is fitted with video gambling at every seat. This can be a tremendous source of revenue as people pass their time during intermissions, halftime and the times when we are in passing situations
    . just swipe your debit card and play slots, video blackjack etc with the revenue to be shared between Wilf and the tribe. No public money would be needed and there would be extra income from every event held. They could set up private gambling tables in every luxury box and also in the concourse and any other place there is room. In fact, they could tie a whole fully fitted casino and hotel into the complex and really have something bigger and better than the rest of the league and a revenue source that no other team has,which would give them a huge advantage until the rest of the league caught up.

    Was that better?
    That idea is borderline ingenius.

    /golfclap

  5. #25
    Purple Floyd's Avatar
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    16,646
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: New Stadium

    "seaniemck7" wrote:
    UffDaVikes
    -Income

    This is one of the areas where a little thinking outside the box could really help fill the stadium and pay for it rapidly. What I would support is a joint venture between Wilf and the native tribes in which the stadium is fitted with video gambling at every seat. This can be a tremendous source of revenue as people pass their time during intermissions, halftime and the times when we are in passing situations
    . just swipe your debit card and play slots, video blackjack etc with the revenue to be shared between Wilf and the tribe. No public money would be needed and there would be extra income from every event held. They could set up private gambling tables in every luxury box and also in the concourse and any other place there is room. In fact, they could tie a whole fully fitted casino and hotel into the complex and really have something bigger and better than the rest of the league and a revenue source that no other team has,which would give them a huge advantage until the rest of the league caught up.

    Was that better?
    That idea is borderline ingenius.

    /golfclap
    No shit. It would make so much money and pay for the stadium so fast that there is no wy the fools that make these decisions would buy into it.

    Much better to jab everyone with a broad based sales tax increase than to come up with a strategy to pay for the thing with money generated onsite by people happy to drop a dollar in a machine.


  6. #26
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Fairbanks, AK
    Posts
    1,148

    Re: New Stadium

    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "Formo" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:
    What is wrong with the dome?
    Die.
    =P
    I was just at the dome last week for a baseball game and found nothing physically wrong with it. In fact, I thought for it's age that it looked surprisingly clean, bright and well maintained. If they need to make more money, maybe they should raise ticket prices until they get to the amount of income they need. Also, beer is still under 10 dollars a glass so there is room for more money to be made there.
    If you were there for a baseball game, then you probably only had about 20000 other fans to deal with, making the narrow concourses and long lines in the bathrooms not so bad.


    Now I know that you know this, because we have talked about it many times, but the Vikings don't get a single penny from concessions in the dome.
    And raising ticket prices would not help at all, since general ticket sales go into the NFL's shared revenue fund.
    What the Vikings are missing are luxury seats, which do not get pooled.
    One of the biggest reasons that the Vikings tickets cost as much as they do is because they do not have the high end seats to offset the price.

    As far as being well maintained, I guess you forgot the river of raw sewage running down the concourse during the last game of the 2006 season...

    Come on UffDa, you are a pretty intelligent guy.
    You have made some very good arguments against a publicly funded stadium in the past.
    Stick to them.
    When you try to make the case that the Metrodome is still a viable venue for the Vikings to play in, then you go down a notch.
    The question about whether or not a new stadium is needed was answered long ago.
    Now we are just looking for a way to pay for it.
    As far as the sewage goes, will the engineers sign a document that they guarantee that there will never be an event like that at a new stadium? I deal with engineers and I can answer that for you if you like
    The building itself looks pretty clean and well maintained,which it should considering it is not that old.

    As far as the concessions. I think that is one of the things that the team should be able to get revenue from. What is preventing that from happening and if a new one is built, will they get the same deal? If they get no concession revenue from the new one then I can't see that deal being any good.

    Your answers really do a good job of supporting my position that the team should build the stadium themselves.

    -First is cost.

    Any time a project gets public funding, the cost is significantly higher than it would be if it were funded privately.

    -Second is where the money goes

    If the team has to give up the revenue for parking, the concessions, income from conventions,concerts etc they are losing out on a great deal of money. With complete ownership,wilf can capture all of that income,rent etc that they now lose to the met council.

    -Building conditions.

    With the government owning the building the crew in charge of maintaining it has to deal with the cumbersome bureaucracy that oversees the facility when something needs to be fixed. In private hands you can have a more responsive, proactive facilities management plan and respond to potential problems before the become a seeping pool of stench.

    -Income

    This is one of the areas where a little thinking outside the box could really help fill the stadium and pay for it rapidly. What I would support is a joint venture between Wilf and the native tribes in which the stadium is fitted with video gambling at every seat. This can be a tremendous source of revenue as people pass their time during intermissions, halftime and the times when we are in passing situations
    . just swipe your debit card and play slots, video blackjack etc with the revenue to be shared between Wilf and the tribe. No public money would be needed and there would be extra income from every event held. They could set up private gambling tables in every luxury box and also in the concourse and any other place there is room. In fact, they could tie a whole fully fitted casino and hotel into the complex and really have something bigger and better than the rest of the league and a revenue source that no other team has,which would give them a huge advantage until the rest of the league caught up.

    Was that better? ;D

    Hell yah! I'm with White Earth & I would vote For it! (Non resident but still able to vote in tribal elections!) Trouble is, alot of folks don't like gaming interests involved. Good idea though. Who has first? Leech Lake? Mill Lacs? Fon Du Lac? White Earth? Alot of jockying going on. Darrell Wadena could get it done!
    ;D lol
    Tuco the world.....

  7. #27
    Purple Floyd's Avatar
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    16,646
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: New Stadium

    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    also remember, the Pats had a dynasty* People would come out to see them in the bitter cold without a problem, and there was a HUGE market in the East coast.
    Same with the Bills, one of the best teams in the leage for a while (not sure when their stadium was built, but probably not long after then).
    VIkings however, are a small market team, in a small market area (lets be honest, Minneapolis can not even come close to comparing with some of the East coast cities in terms of size and number of fans).
    Also, the vikings haven't exactly been too strong the past few years, so were not attracting too many new fans, so will probably have a hard time justifying an outdoor, privately owned stadium.
    So what you are saying is that the NFL is in a market that is too small to make it competitive with the big market teams so in order to keep them we need to basically support a welfare program for the vikings which basically relies on the larger NFL teams and the state to get by just like poor families sometimes need food stamps and rent assistance?

  8. #28
    Purple Floyd's Avatar
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    16,646
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: New Stadium

    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "Formo" wrote:
    [quote author=marstc09 link=topic=45862.msg796694#msg796694 date=1214538796]
    What is wrong with the dome?
    Die.
    =P
    I was just at the dome last week for a baseball game and found nothing physically wrong with it. In fact, I thought for it's age that it looked surprisingly clean, bright and well maintained. If they need to make more money, maybe they should raise ticket prices until they get to the amount of income they need. Also, beer is still under 10 dollars a glass so there is room for more money to be made there.
    If you were there for a baseball game, then you probably only had about 20000 other fans to deal with, making the narrow concourses and long lines in the bathrooms not so bad.


    Now I know that you know this, because we have talked about it many times, but the Vikings don't get a single penny from concessions in the dome.
    And raising ticket prices would not help at all, since general ticket sales go into the NFL's shared revenue fund.
    What the Vikings are missing are luxury seats, which do not get pooled.
    One of the biggest reasons that the Vikings tickets cost as much as they do is because they do not have the high end seats to offset the price.

    As far as being well maintained, I guess you forgot the river of raw sewage running down the concourse during the last game of the 2006 season...

    Come on UffDa, you are a pretty intelligent guy.
    You have made some very good arguments against a publicly funded stadium in the past.
    Stick to them.
    When you try to make the case that the Metrodome is still a viable venue for the Vikings to play in, then you go down a notch.
    The question about whether or not a new stadium is needed was answered long ago.
    Now we are just looking for a way to pay for it.
    As far as the sewage goes, will the engineers sign a document that they guarantee that there will never be an event like that at a new stadium? I deal with engineers and I can answer that for you if you like
    The building itself looks pretty clean and well maintained,which it should considering it is not that old.

    As far as the concessions. I think that is one of the things that the team should be able to get revenue from. What is preventing that from happening and if a new one is built, will they get the same deal? If they get no concession revenue from the new one then I can't see that deal being any good.

    Your answers really do a good job of supporting my position that the team should build the stadium themselves.

    -First is cost.

    Any time a project gets public funding, the cost is significantly higher than it would be if it were funded privately.

    -Second is where the money goes

    If the team has to give up the revenue for parking, the concessions, income from conventions,concerts etc they are losing out on a great deal of money. With complete ownership,wilf can capture all of that income,rent etc that they now lose to the met council.

    -Building conditions.

    With the government owning the building the crew in charge of maintaining it has to deal with the cumbersome bureaucracy that oversees the facility when something needs to be fixed. In private hands you can have a more responsive, proactive facilities management plan and respond to potential problems before the become a seeping pool of stench.

    -Income

    This is one of the areas where a little thinking outside the box could really help fill the stadium and pay for it rapidly. What I would support is a joint venture between Wilf and the native tribes in which the stadium is fitted with video gambling at every seat. This can be a tremendous source of revenue as people pass their time during intermissions, halftime and the times when we are in passing situations
    . just swipe your debit card and play slots, video blackjack etc with the revenue to be shared between Wilf and the tribe. No public money would be needed and there would be extra income from every event held. They could set up private gambling tables in every luxury box and also in the concourse and any other place there is room. In fact, they could tie a whole fully fitted casino and hotel into the complex and really have something bigger and better than the rest of the league and a revenue source that no other team has,which would give them a huge advantage until the rest of the league caught up.

    Was that better? ;D

    That was much better. ;D

    I too wish that it would be funded privately.
    Unfortunately a stadium is such a huge financial undertaking that it doesn't make it feasible for most private entities to do it.
    However, if Wilf has the funds I would be all for it.
    It is a proven successful venture - just look at Kraft in NE and Ralph Wilson in Buffalo.
    Not to mention what-his-name in LA.
    A private stadium, even if it is football only, does very well.
    Unfortunately, I don't believe that Wilf and his partners have the capital for an investment like that.
    Some people confuse being rich with having unlimited funds...

    As far as the onsite casino - the NFL would never approve it.
    It is a nice idea, but that is about it.
    [/quote]

    Have you asked them yet? Like I said, in this day and age the smaller markets need to think outside the box. The NFL wants money, this would make them money. Teams like Dallas and the NY teams don't want to subsidize small market teams and this would make it possible to survive without them. Trust me, this would be a hugely successful deal and wouldn't require any tax increases.


    As far as whether Wilf has the capital or not, there is always money if the business plan is good. That is the way business works: You put together a business plan and then go to people with money and ask for help to fund it. If the plan looks good and they feel you are a good candidate to pay them back they will give you the money.

    Of course you probably know as well as I do that the business model of most professional sports are broken so they need to go to the state for money because no lending agency in their right mind would lend money for a system that is so out of whack.


    However, there is a role that the state could play that would allow him to build it and that is through TIF. I have debated this with you before and Pawlenty has already said he would help the team in this way. So they would then have the financial backing to build it themselves and get all of the income from the facility.

  9. #29
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,602
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: New Stadium

    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    [quote author=Formo link=topic=45862.msg796736#msg796736 date=1214551474]
    [quote author=marstc09 link=topic=45862.msg796694#msg796694 date=1214538796]
    What is wrong with the dome?
    Die.
    =P
    I was just at the dome last week for a baseball game and found nothing physically wrong with it. In fact, I thought for it's age that it looked surprisingly clean, bright and well maintained. If they need to make more money, maybe they should raise ticket prices until they get to the amount of income they need. Also, beer is still under 10 dollars a glass so there is room for more money to be made there.
    If you were there for a baseball game, then you probably only had about 20000 other fans to deal with, making the narrow concourses and long lines in the bathrooms not so bad.


    Now I know that you know this, because we have talked about it many times, but the Vikings don't get a single penny from concessions in the dome.
    And raising ticket prices would not help at all, since general ticket sales go into the NFL's shared revenue fund.
    What the Vikings are missing are luxury seats, which do not get pooled.
    One of the biggest reasons that the Vikings tickets cost as much as they do is because they do not have the high end seats to offset the price.

    As far as being well maintained, I guess you forgot the river of raw sewage running down the concourse during the last game of the 2006 season...

    Come on UffDa, you are a pretty intelligent guy.
    You have made some very good arguments against a publicly funded stadium in the past.
    Stick to them.
    When you try to make the case that the Metrodome is still a viable venue for the Vikings to play in, then you go down a notch.
    The question about whether or not a new stadium is needed was answered long ago.
    Now we are just looking for a way to pay for it.
    As far as the sewage goes, will the engineers sign a document that they guarantee that there will never be an event like that at a new stadium? I deal with engineers and I can answer that for you if you like
    The building itself looks pretty clean and well maintained,which it should considering it is not that old.

    As far as the concessions. I think that is one of the things that the team should be able to get revenue from. What is preventing that from happening and if a new one is built, will they get the same deal? If they get no concession revenue from the new one then I can't see that deal being any good.

    Your answers really do a good job of supporting my position that the team should build the stadium themselves.

    -First is cost.

    Any time a project gets public funding, the cost is significantly higher than it would be if it were funded privately.

    -Second is where the money goes

    If the team has to give up the revenue for parking, the concessions, income from conventions,concerts etc they are losing out on a great deal of money. With complete ownership,wilf can capture all of that income,rent etc that they now lose to the met council.

    -Building conditions.

    With the government owning the building the crew in charge of maintaining it has to deal with the cumbersome bureaucracy that oversees the facility when something needs to be fixed. In private hands you can have a more responsive, proactive facilities management plan and respond to potential problems before the become a seeping pool of stench.

    -Income

    This is one of the areas where a little thinking outside the box could really help fill the stadium and pay for it rapidly. What I would support is a joint venture between Wilf and the native tribes in which the stadium is fitted with video gambling at every seat. This can be a tremendous source of revenue as people pass their time during intermissions, halftime and the times when we are in passing situations
    . just swipe your debit card and play slots, video blackjack etc with the revenue to be shared between Wilf and the tribe. No public money would be needed and there would be extra income from every event held. They could set up private gambling tables in every luxury box and also in the concourse and any other place there is room. In fact, they could tie a whole fully fitted casino and hotel into the complex and really have something bigger and better than the rest of the league and a revenue source that no other team has,which would give them a huge advantage until the rest of the league caught up.

    Was that better? ;D

    That was much better. ;D

    I too wish that it would be funded privately.
    Unfortunately a stadium is such a huge financial undertaking that it doesn't make it feasible for most private entities to do it.
    However, if Wilf has the funds I would be all for it.
    It is a proven successful venture - just look at Kraft in NE and Ralph Wilson in Buffalo.
    Not to mention what-his-name in LA.
    A private stadium, even if it is football only, does very well.
    Unfortunately, I don't believe that Wilf and his partners have the capital for an investment like that.
    Some people confuse being rich with having unlimited funds...

    As far as the onsite casino - the NFL would never approve it.
    It is a nice idea, but that is about it.
    [/quote]

    Have you asked them yet? Like I said, in this day and age the smaller markets need to think outside the box. The NFL wants money, this would make them money. Teams like Dallas and the NY teams don't want to subsidize small market teams and this would make it possible to survive without them. Trust me, this would be a hugely successful deal and wouldn't require any tax increases.


    As far as whether Wilf has the capital or not, there is always money if the business plan is good. That is the way business works: You put together a business plan and then go to people with money and ask for help to fund it. If the plan looks good and they feel you are a good candidate to pay them back they will give you the money.

    Of course you probably know as well as I do that the business model of most professional sports are broken so they need to go to the state for money because no lending agency in their right mind would lend money for a system that is so out of whack.


    However, there is a role that the state could play that would allow him to build it and that is through TIF. I have debated this with you before and Pawlenty has already said he would help the team in this way. So they would then have the financial backing to build it themselves and get all of the income from the facility.
    [/quote]

    Well, why don't you take advantage of the financial backing and build it yourself?
    Probably because it isn't as easy as you make it sound.

    You need collateral even for state backed loans.
    Wilf an an individual does not have the collateral to do that.
    If Wilf used his business to put enough collateral down to secure a $1 billion dollar stadium, then he would leave himself open to hostile takeover - he would have a much harder time generating the capital to fight one off.
    Stock would also likely drop as a result of privately funding a facility that is normally publicly subsidized.

    No, it would be a poor business move for Wilf to build the stadium himself.
    Again, it is pretty rare that individuals or even franchises have enough capital to be able to do it successfully.

    As far as the NFL using gambling money to fund a stadium, they have said no to Las Vegas...
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

  10. #30
    COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    7,005

    Re: New Stadium

    I thought I remembered reading that the land south of Mall Of America where there was talk about building the stadium at one time, is Native American Trust Land. Because one of the things they were talking about was a casino in that expansion.
    I could have a faulty memory on that but I think I remember that being said.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

    When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. What do you want in our new stadium?
    By OchoCinco in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 11-24-2006, 02:13 PM
  2. Yay, stadium
    By DeathtoDenny in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-20-2005, 01:02 PM
  3. We really need a new stadium
    By akvikefan89 in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-02-2005, 04:48 AM
  4. New stadium
    By bignate13 in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-05-2005, 09:36 PM
  5. Stadium?
    By VikemanX84 in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-21-2003, 06:34 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •