Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: New Stadium

"Formo" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:
    What is wrong with the dome?
    Die.
    =P
    I was just at the dome last week for a baseball game and found nothing physically wrong with it. In fact, I thought for it's age that it looked surprisingly clean, bright and well maintained. If they need to make more money, maybe they should raise ticket prices until they get to the amount of income they need. Also, beer is still under 10 dollars a glass so there is room for more money to be made there.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "Formo" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:
    Die.
    =P
    I was just at the dome last week for a baseball game and found nothing physically wrong with it. In fact, I thought for it's age that it looked surprisingly clean, bright and well maintained. If they need to make more money, maybe they should raise ticket prices until they get to the amount of income they need. Also, beer is still under 10 dollars a glass so there is room for more money to be made there.
    if the vikings had a hard time selling out last year, i can't imagine raising ticket prices would help any.
    I don't think money is the concern, or else Wilf wouldn't be willing to dish out so much money out of his own pocket for a stadium.
    The problem is the physical stadium itself.
    Its not too bad when at a baseball game, since baseball games don't (usually) get nearly as crowded as football games.
    When there 64,000 people all trying to take a piss at halftime, it gets ridiculously cramped.
    The Dome is great for game-time atmosphere, but pretty bad in all other aspects

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "Formo" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:
    Die.
    =P
    If you were there for a baseball game, then you probably only had about 20000 other fans to deal with, making the narrow concourses and long lines in the bathrooms not so bad.

Now I know that you know this, because we have talked about it many times, but the Vikings don't get a single penny from concessions in the dome.
    And raising ticket prices would not help at all, since general ticket sales go into the NFL's shared revenue fund.
    What the Vikings are missing are luxury seats, which do not get pooled.
    One of the biggest reasons that the Vikings tickets cost as much as they do is because they do not have the high end seats to offset the price.

As far as being well maintained, I guess you forgot the river of raw sewage running down the concourse during the last game of the 2006 season...

Come on UffDa, you are a pretty intelligent guy.
    You have made some very good arguments against a publicly funded stadium in the past.
    Stick to them.
    When you try to make the case that the Metrodome is still a viable venue for the Vikings to play in, then you go down a notch.
    The question about whether or not a new stadium is needed was answered long ago.
    Now we are just looking for a way to pay for it.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Blog Entries

"COJOMAY" wrote:
    [size=14pt]RFPs for new Vikings stadium expected in July
    [/size]

http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/stories/2008/06/23/daily38.html
    The Metropolitan Sports Facilities Commission in Minneapolis expects to issue separate proposals in July to architects and general contractors to design and build a new NFL stadium on the site of the Metrodome.

The RFPs should be available July 17, the day the commission's board meets to approves the documents. After interviews in mid-August, the selections would be announced August 21 at the group's next meeting, said MSFC Exec Director Bill Lester.

The intent is to have an architect and builder in place when the facilities commission (MSFC) goes to the state Legislature in January.
    Smart.
    It is looking more and more like Wilf and the MSFC is gearing up for a major push in 2009.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    "COJOMAY" wrote:
    [/size]

The Metropolitan Sports Facilities Commission in Minneapolis expects to issue separate proposals in July to architects and general contractors to design and build a new NFL stadium on the site of the Metrodome.

The RFPs should be available July 17, the day the commission's board meets to approves the documents. After interviews in mid-August, the selections would be announced August 21 at the group's next meeting, said MSFC Exec Director Bill Lester.

The intent is to have an architect and builder in place when the facilities commission (MSFC) goes to the state Legislature in January.
    Smart.
    It is looking more and more like Wilf and the MSFC is gearing up for a major push in 2009.
    Probably the only way to get a deal done is to get back into bed with those cats, but does anyone else worry about that relationship?
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Blog Entries

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "COJOMAY" wrote:
    [/size]

Smart.
    Probably the only way to get a deal done is to get back into bed with those cats, but does anyone else worry about that relationship?
    We've never gotten out of bed with them.
    They have actually been a decent ally ever since the stadium was moved back downtown.
    Zeus wrote:

=Z=

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "COJOMAY" wrote:
    [/size]

Smart.
    They have actually been a decent ally ever since the stadium was moved back downtown.
    My hope is that they would get out of bed.........To clarify......

I really would like to see a stadium that the Vikes Ownership own themselves, thereby taking the MSFC out of the picture.

Problem is, reality.....No way the Wilfs will fund a stadium on thier own, so they need help.
    The help comes by going in together with another entity (MSFC) who is also use the stadium for other events (concerts, tractor pulls, etc).

As to thier role so far...... Not sure about that.
    I still say they were behind the snaffu that cost us the stadium effort up in the swamps..... I know in my heart they got the corps to bring up the whole "Wetlands" issue when it started to look like the deal might get done.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Blog Entries

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "COJOMAY" wrote:
    [/size]

Smart.

I really would like to see a stadium that the Vikes Ownership own themselves, thereby taking the MSFC out of the picture.

Problem is, reality.....No way the Wilfs will fund a stadium on thier own, so they need help.
    The help comes by going in together with another entity (MSFC) who is also use the stadium for other events (concerts, tractor pulls, etc).

I still say they were behind the snaffu that cost us the stadium effort up in the swamps..... I know in my heart they got the corps to bring up the whole "Wetlands" issue when it started to look like the deal might get done.
    ;D
    I tend to think there was some extra politic-ing going on there too... but I belive it would have had more to do with the hennepin county legislatures than anything else.
    The MSFC is a metro wide entity, they could have worked in Anoka as well (although I think they prefer to stay downtown).
    And they have gone to the legislature more times than the Vikings have since the move to down town, almost getting the $2 mill study approval last year - which would have forced the issue this year.

The new stadium won't get done without some kind of public entity support.
    The MSFC is established and has a fairly good track record, so they would be the logical choice.

As far as the MSFC's role in all of this - I think that if the majority of the money funding the stadium comes from public funds, then the public entity should have control and ownership of the stadium.
    Zeus wrote:

=Z=

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    [quote author=COJOMAY link=topic=45862.msg796675#msg796675 date=1214534009]
    [/size]

Smart.

;D
    I tend to think there was some extra politic-ing going on there too... but I belive it would have had more to do with the hennepin county legislatures than anything else.
    The MSFC is a metro wide entity, they could have worked in Anoka as well (although I think they prefer to stay downtown).
    And they have gone to the legislature more times than the Vikings have since the move to down town, almost getting the $2 mill study approval last year - which would have forced the issue this year.

The new stadium won't get done without some kind of public entity support.
    The MSFC is established and has a fairly good track record, so they would be the logical choice.

As far as the MSFC's role in all of this - I think that if the majority of the money funding the stadium comes from public funds, then the public entity should have control and ownership of the stadium.
    [/quote]
    I should know better than to discuss this with you as you know way more than I, however,.....

My point still is centered around my HOPE that they wouldn't need to share the stadium, even if that meant funding it themselves.
    I for one would love to see a football only environment for the Vikes instead of a "Rent-a-center" approach.

Again, I know that will never happen.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast