Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Stadium

QueenRandy is offline Waterboy

New Stadium

Is the new stadium supposed to be an open-roof or rectractable roof?

triedandtruevikesfan is offline Jersey Retired

New Stadium

they are talking retractable roof in the design that I've seen on Vikings.com

New Stadium

Wow, imagine a Vinkings game where the sky is visisble. Amazing what they can do these days.

What do you guys think about this? The climate in the midwest gives teams the biggest advantage with playing in the cold. Why on earth would an organization decide to ignore this fact and build a retractable roof on its stadium? You know that that roof is going to be closed from mid-October until June.

Big waste of money. Big waste of energy. And the Vikings continue to be a bunch of pansies that can't handle the cold weather.

triedandtruevikesfan is offline Jersey Retired

New Stadium

The Vikings originally played in an outdoor stadium, I think if they did put a retractable roof on our stadium... it would be to keep it open during games where we would have an advantage over warm climate teams.

New Stadium

Doubt it. The operating costs of a retractable roof are enormous. Not to mention the costs of heat loss when a fully heated bowl is suddenly ventilated. There's also a danger of damage to the roof system if there is any frozen moisture near vital parts of the system that moves it, so they would leave it closed as soon as it snows. My guess is that they would close the roof as soon as it gets cold- just to appease the fans.

LAVike is offline Pro-Bowler

New Stadium

What's the point of having a retractable roof then? It doesn't make any sense, does it? Unless you were to do a combo Twins-Vikes stadium (again) where it's open during the spring and summer, except for rain, then closed all winter for football. Why the hell would they build one in MN? It's one of the coldest spots in North America during the winter! I say stick to the open design to save about half the costs. It's more likely that they'll get a new stadium then (probably around 400 mil). Bring on cold weather football!!

Oh yeah, I forgot . . . they need to attract a Super Bowl. Screw the Super Bowl, let's have the Vikes get to one themselves! Far more appealing than seeing the Bills and Redskins play like last time--WHO CARES!
    "Veni, Vidi, Vikings!"--Julius Caesar

dan3ski is offline Coordinator

New Stadium

The domed staduim was built to make watching games more enjoyable for the fans. Having a retractable roof would allow for a grass floor instead of the carpet which is hard on the players. Many Viking players have gone to grass field teams in the course of thier career's and have played longer than if they were on the carpet. So if they do decide on a retractable roof it could mean the best for both players and fans.
    can we clone Bud Grant?

bender_over is offline Rookie

New Stadium

The new stadium proposed by Anoka County/Blaine is for a fixed roof stadium. I'm not sure why the Vikings website still has the retractable roof stadium plans. The report on the stadium screening committee's website says fixed stadium but it doesn't show any renderings of a new stadium so maybe they could still use the one on the Vikings website. It's kind of misleading becauese the Anoka County/Blaine report has no pictures of the proposed stadium.

New Stadium

i'd rather we built an identical, yet bigger, metropolitan stadium. where the wind would come whiping in from the north in mid december and even the packers hated comming here. i wasn't around to see the met. i was too young to remember when i lived there and spent a lot of my growing up on the west coast, but i heard lots of stories about it. i know we're built for speed, but i think it would still be cool. just wishin' though.
    "ted nugent called. he wants his shirt back."-george clooney, ocean s eleven

packmanxxxi is offline Asst. Coach

New Stadium

Vikings need a fixed roof. They would not sell out on a consistant basis otherwise. Hell, they hardly sell out the dome if the team isn't good. Once Moss leaves in FA, Daunte shows that he will never learn not to fumble, and Tice goes back to coaching O-line men, the fans will be gone. Yes, I k now, all of you who frequent this site will be there. Thats a given. Most of you are true fans. Its the other 40,000 who go to the games in their pinstrip suits, or blonde mistresses, who will not show up outside. And it is those people my friends, who have the money.
    3 Straight Division Champs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast