Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Stadium

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post

Although radical in design, I hope the Vikings don't chose to build this glorified igloo.
    I kind of like that one... mostly because it isn't a cookie cutter stadium. These are just concept drawings though, used in the pitch to show creativity. The actual stadium will likely look much different.

On Sirius XM they were talking about some of the Vikings desires for the stadium, and the two big things that the Vikings are pushing for are open concourses (think Target Field) and a retractable element. So I expect both of these to be in the final design. The Vikings want whatever the retractable element ends up being to present a view of downtown from inside the stadium. They also said that they were discouraged by the shadows during the Indy game, so stadium angle and retractable positions are going to be a big talking point.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    The teepee concept looks like it's built in a huge vacant area miles from downtown.
    Well, that is where is SHOULD have been built...
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jmcdon00 View Post
    I wasn't impressed with the roof or window at lucas oil stadium. It was more like a sunroof than true convertable.
    I think a jumbo tron similar to Cowboys stadium would be awesome.
    Both the players and the fans complain about the Dumbo-tron in Dallas. The screen size triggers motion sickness in the fans, and the players are distracted by it. Plus they complain that the fans don't watch the game, they watch the screen, which is always a second behind.
    Zeus wrote:

=Z=

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    The one saving grace with this is the fact that we have an owner who is familiar with deveopments and buildings. Given that I expect that we will have something that is innovative without being too radical, in addition there will be attention paid to such details as the shadow issue noted at Indy and so on. Based on that I don't thinkwe will end up with abuilding designed around an owners ego and what he thinks the fans want - are you listening Jerry Jones ?
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Lileks: About that new Vikings stadium...

Lileks: About that new Vikings stadium... | StarTribune.com

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Reignman is offline Asst. Coach
    Ok I threw up a little in my mouth when I first saw those designs. Yeah we'll be laughed out of the league if our stadium looks like a loaf of marble rye. Plus the shadow problem would be horrible with all those windows.

Quote Originally Posted by NodakPaul View Post
    They also said that they were discouraged by the shadows during the Indy game, so stadium angle and retractable positions are going to be a big talking point.
    I'm encouraged that they're discouraged about those things.

The most interesting thing about the announcement: They're going to try to include a "retractable feature." They're not saying what it is, but it will retract. A roof? Not saying. A wall? That would be telling. A retractable playing field that opens up into a pit of fire, which really redefines the idea of "home field advantage"? Wink. Retractable staircases to prevent people from streaming out in the third quarter, muttering disgust? That would be telling.
    Haha that writer is a comedian.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post

...but some of us have double-wides at least!!!!

Caine
    OK let's keep the women out of the conversation.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AngloVike View Post
    The one saving grace with this is the fact that we have an owner who is familiar with deveopments and buildings. Given that I expect that we will have something that is innovative without being too radical, in addition there will be attention paid to such details as the shadow issue noted at Indy and so on. Based on that I don't thinkwe will end up with abuilding designed around an owners ego and what he thinks the fans want - are you listening Jerry Jones ?
    Hopefully it doesn't end up looking like a strip mall.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12