Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re:New pricetag for a new Vikes' stadium: $870M

aceclown wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    From the article-
    "OPTION 2 (Price Tag: $771 million): This option would see a 13,000 seat portion of the existing Metrodome utilized. They would rebuild an almost completely new stadium around this segment of the dome, which would also include a retractable roof. The capacity would be 65,000 people."

Not sure why they aren't going in this direction. I'm pretty sure this is the same thing as the Ellerbe-Beckett proposal from a year ago. The stadium from those E-B renderings didn't look nearly as awkward as the haphazard mess that came out today, and the price tag is 100 million less. Option 2 seems like it should be the obvious winner among those 4 proposals.
    It is the same as the EB proposal from 2007. The reason the MSFC is not recommending it is because estimated revenue for the Vikings is $20 million with the EB proposal, and $31 million with the Metrodome Next proposal. There are also some construction issues with reusing the existing frame - that area would have similar concourse, concession, and restroom problems that the current metrodome has, while the rest of the stadium would be state of the art.

My honest guess is that it was only brought up as a negotiating point this late in the game.

My honest opinion is this proposal was brought up again
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Formo is offline Team Alumni

mnjamie wrote:
    Personally, I'm kinda over it as of today. Pawlenty (sp?) has officially pushed my last button, as he never has a solution ... just shoots down everyone's ideas, never has any of his own. Just playing politics.

Send them to LA or even down here to Orlando. I'll still support them if the nitwits left in MN don't want to flip the bill.
    I feel the same way about Pawlenty. I didn't mind him, but you are absolutely right.. He's shot down EVERY idea that made it to his office (and that's quite the task in MN's douchebag politics) with absolutely ZERO solutions of his own.

I disagree with them leaving, though. I'm with Zeus in that I'd be on a one-man mission to change the politics/politicians in MN.

purplepat wrote:
    Formo wrote:
    But still.. The Bank puts the Dome to shame. And it holds 20k less people, too. (actually more like 13k less).
    Well duh!!!

Of course a stadium that holds a lot fewer people is going to seem "nicer". Less people traffic, the nosebleed seats aren't so high up. That's why baseball stadiums are reverting back to the smaller parks that hold only 40,000 fans or so, instead of the old soulless cookie cutter stadiums that held 55,000+. Not to mention that these days, more attention is being given to fan comfort/amenties (at least in the concourse areas) than they ever were in older stadiums/parks. You practically have to when tickets require financing.
    It's not THAT less people. But, if you've been there, you'd know that the concessions are almost DOUBLE the size of the ones in the Dome. The bathrooms lack a line (I think there are double the amount of female restrooms, and a 50% increase of men's restrooms). The seats have more room (in front and the sides), there are less steps doing down/up to your seats, the sections are 1/3rd smaller (which means less interupting others as you make your way to/from your seat).

Oh yeah, and it's an open stadium. With open air concessions.

Yeah, having 13k less people to deal with helps.. But even if it was empty.. It continues to put the Dome to shame.
    Vegans are eating the rainforests. =(

gagarr is offline Team Alumni

aceclown wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    From the article-
    "OPTION 2 (Price Tag: $771 million): This option would see a 13,000 seat portion of the existing Metrodome utilized. They would rebuild an almost completely new stadium around this segment of the dome, which would also include a retractable roof. The capacity would be 65,000 people."

Not sure why they aren't going in this direction. I'm pretty sure this is the same thing as the Ellerbe-Beckett proposal from a year ago. The stadium from those E-B renderings didn't look nearly as awkward as the haphazard mess that came out today, and the price tag is 100 million less. Option 2 seems like it should be the obvious winner among those 4 proposals.
    What isn't discussed is how long a solution will last. Will it last another 30 years which a new stadium might? IMO option 2 is still using the same chassis on the car, which won't last but maybe 10 more years and we will be in the same situation again.

Option 1 or 4 that's what it comes down to and the clock is ticking. I do know is Wilf won't use threats, come the off season in 2011, while in discussion with UofM to use their stadium, he will be in discussions to move or sell the team. It will be a complete blind side to everyone. It will be "You had your chance"
    [size=12pt]
    Page 148.5 **Doleman 150.5 **Randle 137.5 **Allen 73+
    [/size]

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

gagarr wrote:
    aceclown wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    From the article-

What isn't discussed is how long a solution will last. Will it last another 30 years which a new stadium might? IMO option 2 is still using the same chassis on the car, which won't last but maybe 10 more years and we will be in the same situation again.

Option 1 or 4 that's what it comes down to and the clock is ticking. I do know is Wilf won't use threats, come the off season in 2011, while in discussion with UofM to use their stadium, he will be in discussions to move or sell the team. It will be a complete blind side to everyone. It will be "You had your chance"
    I think that the length of time the solution lasts is a very valid concern. One of the problems with the Metrodome is that it was built as cheaply as possible, and without the future in mind. It barely met minimum NFL and MLB standards when it was built, so it became outdated very quickly. I would hate to see Minnesota make the same mistake again. This time built it so it will be a viable stadium for 30+ years.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

I am confused. Why are people saying Pawlenty would shoot down everything. I have not followed this too closely but on PAs show Dick Day said that Pawlenty would sign the Racino if it reached his desk but said he did not want anything to do with getting it there.

Formo is offline Team Alumni

marstc09 wrote:
    I am confused. Why are people saying Pawlenty would shoot down everything. I have not followed this too closely but on PAs show Dick Day said that Pawlenty would sign the Racino if it reached his desk but said he did not want anything to do with getting it there.
    Day DID say that. But when asked about that statement, Pawlenty completely disagreed.

http://www.startribune.com/politics/79273722.html?elr=KArksLckD8EQDUoaEyqyP4OW3ckUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aUUZ

There's the article. Either Day's lying or Pawlenty is. I really don't care who is lying, I just wish Pawlenty would pull his head out of Washington DC's ass and remember he's still governor of Minnesota. And at least ATTEMPT to come up with a solution to the Vikings stadium drive.
    Vegans are eating the rainforests. =(

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345