Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast
    nfl-forums is offline Rookie

New Ownership FUBARing this Team

I know a lot of you will hate me for making this post, but it is unfortunately how I feel right now about the team. I have been a loyal fan for years and will follow the Vikes through thick and thin. I unfortunately think that the next few years will be some rough years. My rant is below:

1. Randy Moss Trade. Not their fault, but ole Red traded Randy because he was dumping the team and wanted to get as much money as possible. It was this ownership group that went ahead and drafted Williamson who, although fast and smooth, has a long way to go to being a good receiver.
    2. Culpepper Trade. Their fault, 100%. So in two years, the Vikings have traded away Moss and Culpepper and in return got Harris, Williamson, and a 2nd round draft pick. Doesn't take much to see this as a knuckleheaded move.
    3. Firing Tice. He needed one more year. He may have not succeeded, but we will never know since he never got the opportunity to put together the team he wanted. The guy was working with one hand tied behind his back, was finally a couple of players away from having the team that he wanted, and a couple of coaches away from being a decent coaching staff.
    4. Lowballing Burleson. This kid has talent, but instead of using the $30+ million in cap room they had, they low-balled him. He is now visiting Seattle and could be lost to them.
    5. Bad Free Agency. Ok, you have $34mil in cap room, and the best you can do is Ben Leber, Chester Taylor, and Steve Hutchinson (maybe)? I like Hutchinson, and I think Taylor will be an ok RB, but this is rather unimpressive given some of the names available. Knowing that we were losing Culpepper, why not make a move for Brees?
    6. Coaching hires. We let go of Steve Loney, one of the leagues best O-Line coaches. Instead we now have two or three nobody coaches to coach the O-Line by committee. Tell me this isn't a recipe for disaster.
    7. Triangle of Authority. Anytime a team gives a nickname to something like this, it fails (remember the "Randy Ratio"?). The so-called triangle of authority that will make decisions will inevitably collapse at some point and cause a lot of consternation among the organization.
    8. All Rookie Coaching Staff. I don't believe any of the coaches in the new staff made a lateral move to the Vikings. I am pretty sure that they were all promoted to their position. The law of averages says that there is going to be a couple of duds in the group.
    9. Losing Free Agents. Will Demps and Dexter Jackson were both supposed to visit the Vikes. Of course they weren't aggressive in going after them, and both signed with other teams. We need help in the secondary again (losing Chavous and B. Williams) and currently there are no plans to bring anyone in. We need help at linebacker, yet no news of bringing in Julian Peterson or Lavaar Arrington. As the team with the most money to spend, why can't we get people to even vist?

Wilf was quoted today as saying that a 2nd round draft pick is just as valuable as a 1st round draft pick in today's world. WHAT??? If that's the case, let's trade our 17th pick for 2 more 2nd rounders - that'll give us 4 2nd round draft picks (or as Wilf would say, 4 1st rounders). He obviously doesn't get it.

All this is going on while Wilf is working hard to get a stadium deal done. I'm telling you, he has some momentum now, but when the Vikings are struggling to win 5 games next year, everyone is going to sour on the deal very quickly.

I guess the only good news is that next year we will probably be another 30 mil under the cap since they won't spend on real needs this year. Oh, and I'm guessing we will have a top-10 pick in the 2007 draft. Of course, we can give up that top 10 pick for a 2nd round draft pick - its just as good as a first round draft pick.

badbois is offline Pro-Bowler

Re: New Ownership FUBARing this Team

I agree with you totally. I was a tice hater by the end, but we spent all that time developing a head coach and never gave him the opportunity to succeed. losing linehan was an embarassment, and pep was going to have ruff years when he had different coordinaters every season. I think if he had the franchises support he could have been successful and much quicker than the current rebuilding proccess.

Navycoach is offline Starter

Wilf was quoted today as saying that a 2nd round draft pick is just as valuable as a 1st round draft pick in today's world. WHAT??? If that's the case, let's trade our 17th pick for 2 more 2nd rounders - that'll give us 4 2nd round draft picks (or as Wilf would say, 4 1st rounders). He obviously doesn't get it.
    Yeah, there's someone that doesn't get it, and it's not Wilf. Look at the depth of the draft this year, or for the last few years. The second round has consistently given players that just simply kick a$$.
    The current management knows what they have to do, and they'll get it done. You're basing very pointed accusations on only less than a week of Free Agency. We'll get it done. Have faith. SKOL!

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

Great to have a new Viking fan on board!

All good questions that we have been discussing for days and days, check out some of the current thread and you will find out how people are reacting! It varies a lot from person to person and you will find people that support your opinions and some that disagree on every opinion you have stated!
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

badbois is offline Pro-Bowler

who's left that can make an impact? who wants to come here now? If the players in the 2nd round were as good as the 1st, they would be in the 1st. I have to got to go to lunch.

Del Rio Guest

"nfl-forums" wrote:
    I know a lot of you will hate me for making this post, but it is unfortunately how I feel right now about the team. I have been a loyal fan for years and will follow the Vikes through thick and thin. I unfortunately think that the next few years will be some rough years. My rant is below:

1. Randy Moss Trade. Not their fault, but ole Red traded Randy because he was dumping the team and wanted to get as much money as possible. It was this ownership group that went ahead and drafted Williamson who, although fast and smooth, has a long way to go to being a good receiver.

He has played one year. He is alotted a curve better himself. Yes I agree the Moss trade was due in part to Red. It is widely believed also that Tice is somewhat to blame and even Culpepper two guys you defend later on in this post.

2. Culpepper Trade.
    Their fault, 100%. So in two years, the Vikings have traded away Moss and Culpepper and in return got Harris, Williamson, and a 2nd round draft pick. Doesn't take much to see this as a knuckleheaded move.

I don't know that you can be acurate in saying it doesn't take much to see this as a knuckleheaded move when we haven't seen the team even practice yet. Also you have no proof it was 100% their fault. You assume it was, if it was in fact him who had the issues and was causing grief then this point is moot.

3. Firing Tice. He needed one more year. He may have not succeeded, but we will never know since he never got the opportunity to put together the team he wanted. The guy was working with one hand tied behind his back, was finally a couple of players away from having the team that he wanted, and a couple of coaches away from being a decent coaching staff.

First of all, he wasn't fired. His contract was up. He just wasn't rehired. Second of all no he didn't just need one more year. Or another or another or another. In fact he stated he was on a 3-4 year plan...he failed his own declaration. Good move to let him walk at the end of the year.

4. Lowballing Burleson. This kid has talent, but instead of using the $30+ million in cap room they had, they low-balled him. He is now visiting Seattle and could be lost to them.

I don't think he is that great anyway. You may be right though. I wont lose sleep over it.

5. Bad Free Agency. Ok, you have $34mil in cap room, and the best you can do is Ben Leber, Chester Taylor, and Steve Hutchinson (maybe)? I like Hutchinson, and I think Taylor will be an ok RB, but this is rather unimpressive given some of the names available. Knowing that we were losing Culpepper, why not make a move for Brees?

I find this reasoning faulty. Why are they bad moves? Because you don't recognize their names? If the coach has a plan and things these blue collar workers will help it more then throwing truckloads of money to high priced, high attitude players then more power to him. Just because these guys don't make the all madden team meand they should be written off. You will have to wait to see them play, to see them perform for our team to make these claims stick.

6. Coaching hires. We let go of Steve Loney, one of the leagues best O-Line coaches. Instead we now have two or three nobody coaches to coach the O-Line by committee. Tell me this isn't a recipe for disaster.

This isn't a recipe for disaster it is an over reaction.

7. Triangle of Authority. Anytime a team gives a nickname to something like this, it fails (remember the "Randy Ratio"?). The so-called triangle of authority that will make decisions will inevitably collapse at some point and cause a lot of consternation among the organization.

If that is all the proof you have (randy ratio) then I'm not sold on it. Overreaction IMO

8. All Rookie Coaching Staff. I don't believe any of the coaches in the new staff made a lateral move to the Vikings. I am pretty sure that they were all promoted to their position. The law of averages says that there is going to be a couple of duds in the group.

Great coaches need to start somewhere, you have no idea they wont make a huge impact. Even though the real law of averages does not apply, I will say that there is a reason it is called a staff. Not all coaches will be great they will work together as a team. Individually they may be weak together they may have a chemistry unmatched. You have no idea until we get to see them in action.

9. Losing Free Agents. Will Demps and Dexter Jackson were both supposed to visit the Vikes. Of course they weren't aggressive in going after them, and both signed with other teams. We need help in the secondary again (losing Chavous and B. Williams) and currently there are no plans to bring anyone in. We need help at linebacker, yet no news of bringing in Julian Peterson or Lavaar Arrington. As the team with the most money to spend, why can't we get people to even vist?

We had near the most cash available. Wilf has prooven he doesn't piss around. If we wanted them they would have been here at least for a meeting. If we didn't want them they it really isn't a loss.

All this is going on while Wilf is working hard to get a stadium deal done. I'm telling you, he has some momentum now, but when the Vikings are struggling to win 5 games next year, everyone is going to sour on the deal very quickly.

I guess the only good news is that next year we will probably be another 30 mil under the cap since they won't spend on real needs this year. Oh, and I'm guessing we will have a top-10 pick in the 2007 draft. Of course, we can give up that top 10 pick for a 2nd round draft pick - its just as good as a first round draft pick.
    PS I dont hate you for making that post. I just disagree with damn near the entire thing.

Good post though, well thought out.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Welcome to PP.O nfl-forums. Pretty strong post for your third one lol! But you backed your opinions up with your reasoning, and I like that.

Unfortunately, I side with Del and disagree with pretty much everything you said! Especially when you complain about our free agency so far. As someone in another post said, this isn't Madden - one team is not going to get the number one FA in every position (I'd give credit where credit is due, but I honestly can't remember who said that). And keep in mind that we have great prospects in every position except QB in the draft this year too. Our front office knows what they are doing, give them a chance before you condem them.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Prophet Guest

Glad you addressed those issues Del, I can rest easier now. I thought I would have to go through that whole post. Wasn't there a post like this, almost word-for-word the other day?

Oh well, welcome to the site and nice post. It's nice to see people's opinions rather than a one-liner here and there.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"nfl-forums" wrote:

2. Culpepper Trade. Their fault, 100%. So in two years, the Vikings have traded away Moss and Culpepper and in return got Harris, Williamson, and a 2nd round draft pick. Doesn't take much to see this as a knuckleheaded move.

New PP.O Member FUBARed Picking A Good Screen Name

What kind of lame screen name is nfl-forums? What are you...the voice of all the NFL Forums combined? It's great that you have an opinion about all of these issues, but I think I trust the football minds of the Vikings organization a little more than I do your mind! Yes, the Vikings aren't going after all of the big names (and I haven't always agreed with their choices, I admit)..BUT they do have a plan and they should have at least until the start of the season to put all of the pieces in place before we rip them to shreds. I will continue to question individual moves BUT I do have faith that the overall plan will accomplish the stated goal of winning a championship...because I am first and foremost a fan of the team!

BTW, welcome to the jungle!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Del Rio Guest

"Prophet" wrote:
    Glad you addressed those issues Del, I can rest easier now. I thought I would have to go through that whole post. Wasn't there a post like this, almost word-for-word the other day?

Oh well, welcome to the site and nice post. It's nice to see people's opinions rather than a one-liner here and there.
    Prophet that's the only reason I addressed them man, I was worried you would not get your rest.

Mission Accomplished :grin:

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast