Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NEW O-COORD.

skogs02 is offline Starter

NEW O-COORD.

The Vikings promoted Steve Loney to fill the offensive coordinater position.

i like this move

SKOL is offline Ring of Fame
    At least we have someone familiar with the system. I wonder if Tice will call plays?

The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good -Samuel Johnson - lexicographer
    The word genius isn t applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein - Joe Theisman

Del Rio Guest
    Steve Loney was offensive coordinator and offensive line coach at Minnesota in 1999 as the Gophers tallied their first eight-win season in 22 years. How do you top that? Return to Iowa State, your alma mater, the following season in the same position and coach that offense to nearly 425 yards a game and the school’s first nine-win season in 94 years and first-ever bowl victory. Loney, a 1974 Iowa State graduate, did just that in his second stint as Cyclone offensive coordinator and offensive line coach after a tremendously successful pair of seasons in the same job at Minnesota.

Loney’s hands-on success at Iowa State is affirmed by his offensive unit’s national standing last season. ISU’s 424.4 yards of total offense per game ranked third in school history. Iowa State was second in the Big 12 and 17th nationally in rushing at 209 yards per game. First-team all-Big 12 tailback Ennis Haywood rushed for 1,237 yards. Quarterback Sage Rosenfels threw for 2,298 yards, ranking third in school history.

Not surprisingly, Loney’s offensive line played a huge part in Iowa State’s success. The Cyclone line, a pre-season question mark, gelled under Loney. Center Ben Bruns earned All-America honors from Football News and was a first-team all-Big 12 selection. Iowa State allowed just seven sacks all season, the second-lowest total nationally.

Under Loney’s guidance, Minnesota was second in the Big Ten and 11th in the nation in rushing offense in 1999. The Golden Gophers averaged 415.4 offensive yards per game and 31.6 points per game two years ago. Loney’s 1999 Gophers also produced an all-Big Ten first-team rusher in Thomas Hamner (1,362 yards) and a first-team All-American center in Ben Hamilton. In addition, Minnesota set five school offensive records.

Prior to heading to Minnesota, Loney led Iowa State’s offense to new heights in three seasons as offensive coordinator and offensive line coach. In Loney’s first two seasons at Iowa State, the Cyclones’ offense produced the only tailback to rush for a pair of 2,000-yard seasons in 1996 Heisman Trophy runner-up Troy Davis. Troy’s brother, Darren, followed that feat with 1,005 yards rushing in nine 1997 games. Loney developed two-time first-team all-Big 12 offensive lineman Tim Kohn. Center Pat Augafa was the 1995 Big Eight Conference Newcomer of the Year.

Under Loney, ISU ranked second in the Big 12 with an average of 231.9 yards passing per contest in 1997. The Cyclones ranked 13th nationally in rushing in 1996 and 15th in 1995.

Prior to joining the Iowa State staff, Loney was assistant head coach/wide receiver coach at Connecticut in 1994 and an offensive line coach for the NFL’s Arizona Cardinals in 1993. From 1989-92 he was the assistant head coach/offensive line coach under former Iowa State coach Earle Bruce at Colorado State. He helped lead the Rams to the school’s first bowl appearance in 48 years.

The 48-year-old Loney was assistant head coach and tutored the offensive line and special teams at The Citadel from 1984-86. He was the head coach at Morehead State in Morehead, Ky., from 1981-83, after serving as the offensive coordinator and offensive line coach at the school in 1979-80. He was the head coach at Leavenworth (Kan.) High School in 1977-78 and the offensive coordinator/offensive line coach at Missouri Western College in St. Joseph, Mo., in 1975-76.

A letterwinner on the offensive line for Iowa State during his collegiate career, Loney was a member of head coach Johnny Majors’ 1971 Sun Bowl and 1972 Liberty Bowl teams. After earning his bachelor’s degree in distributed studies from Iowa State, he launched his coaching career in 1974 at his alma mater as a graduate assistant coach under Bruce while earning his master’s degree in secondary school administration.

The Marshalltown native and his wife, Terri, a former collegiate golf coach, have three children: Matt, 24, a law student at Iowa; Katie, 22, a senior at ISU; and Kylan, 19, a freshman basketball student-athlete at Arizona State.

-------------------------------------Obviously we all know what he has done the last few years but he has had some pretty good OC stats in the past.

Just as I suspected. They had to promote someone from within the organization currently under contract for an additional year. Hopefully we won't have as much of a setback as I'm expecting with the loss of Linehan.

OK, so now the new OC was our O-line coach, head coach Tice was our old O-line coach. What does this mean for our offensive mindset? Run, run, run, pass? Either way, Loney does have prior experience as an OC so he knows the ropes. Fingers crossed...

Now who do we hire as QB coach?
    Even babies know the difference.

enlvikeman is offline Hall of Famer
    another cheap fix if true. thanks red...your the man!

"24 mil under the cap? there are teams 30 mil over the cap, heck that gives us at least 50 mil to spend"

CollegeGuyJeff circa 2006

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired
    "SKOL" wrote:
    At least we have someone familiar with the system. I wonder if Tice will call plays?
    Did you notice that Tice doesn't even chew bubble gum and coach at the same time????

RK.
    RK. is offline Ring of Fame Rally Cross II Champion
    :roll: Nothing like hiring temps. I wonder how much he is getting paid? Its great, you don't have to interview anyone or anything just give someone a new title. :roll: It is all meaningless if the team sells. The worst part is thinking about next season if the team doesn't sell.

WWBGD

shockzilla is offline PPO Ambassador
    Blog Entries
    I like this move as well. Keep it within the organization, and minimize the stress of changing personnel...
    PPO Ambassador, Defender of the Purple Faith and Guardian of the Gates of Valhalla

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired
    "enlvikeman" wrote:
    True but I am willing to give the guy a chance. I don't think that I have met anyone from IA that I didn't like. His college coaching resume is impressive the last 2 stints in IA and MN.

thepacksux is offline Asst. Coach
    it really doesnt matter who our o coord. is, look at our offense, enough said

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast