Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

Re: A new No. 84 takes the field for the Vikings

"vikingivan" wrote:
    #22 should be retired.
    Paul Krause was inducted into the HOF in 1998.
    He holds the NFL record with 81 interceptions.
    Moss had some great seasons, but he does not have near the qualifications of Krause.
    It's not a competition, it's based on individual merit.

Numbers indicate production, production indicates talent and greatness, and if we can't retire the number of a player who had arguably the most productive 7 years as a WR for a team in NFL history, then why would we?

IMO A player's number should be retired because there will never be a player to wear that number again who could match the impact, memory or production that the original player had on the team.
    I think the fact no other player has worn the number since is indicative of the impact he had on this team.

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"ItalianStallion" wrote:
    "vikingivan" wrote:
    #22 should be retired.
    Moss had some great seasons, but he does not have near the qualifications of Krause.

Numbers indicate production, production indicates talent and greatness, and if we can't retire the number of a player who had arguably the most productive 7 years as a WR for a team in NFL history, then why would we?

IMO A player's number should be retired because there will never be a player to wear that number again who could match the impact, memory or production that the original player had on the team.
    I think the fact no other player has worn the number since is indicative of the impact he had on this team.
    I think it's more likely that no one wanted to wear it because they would face the inevitable questions about trying to replace Moss, not because of any reverence to his success wearing it.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

"Zeus" wrote:
    "ItalianStallion" wrote:
    "vikingivan" wrote:
    #22 should be retired.

I think it's more likely that no one wanted to wear it because they would face the inevitable questions about trying to replace Moss, not because of any reverence to his success wearing it.

=Z=
    To me, the fact that he's regarded as irreplaceable shows reverance to his success.

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

This thread wouldn't be complete without one of these.

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"ItalianStallion" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "ItalianStallion" wrote:
    "vikingivan" wrote:
    #22 should be retired.

To me, the fact that he's regarded as irreplaceable shows reverance to his success.
    Who regards him as irreplaceable?

And it's only been two seasons and now some backup TE with little-to-no chance to make the club has the number.
    That doesn't sound like reverence, does it?

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

"Prophet" wrote:

lol, you can fall back on that tired old argument if you want.

Ignoring the facts while labeling posters is excellent for debate, is there one for people who play Madden (thus must know nothing about football) too?

I mean
    it's not like old timer don't ride the jocks of players like Tarkenton, Krause, Foreman etc. who played against inferior athletes.
    :

"Zeus" wrote:

Who regards him as irreplaceable?

And it's only been two seasons and now some backup TE with little-to-no chance to make the club has the number.
    That doesn't sound like reverence, does it?

=Z=
    Anyone who isn't ignorant of his unique atheltic ability and record setting seasons with this team....

Hell we've barely been able to cumulatively replace his production in this offense the past couple years...

The fact that players have avoided his number like the plague, and a TE who cluelessly only found out afterwards shows other people don't want to be labeled as having to live up to the expectations people had for a player with that number.

ejmat is offline Jersey Retired

Another reason that no one has worn it maybe that no one that has been on the Vikings since he left ever wore it prior.
    People get the numbers they like to wear.
    Also, a lot of WRs are changing to numbers in the teens.
    I honestly don't think it has anything to do with Randy Moss wearing it previsouly.

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

"ItalianStallion" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:

lol, you can fall back on that tired old argument if you want.

Ignoring the facts while labeling posters is excellent for debate, is there one for people who play Madden (thus must know nothing about football) too?
    It isn't complete without it is all I'm saying.
    Also, if there weren't so many idiots that can't differentiate between Madden and reality it wouldn't even be a topic.

There is no doubt that Moss started off his career strong.
    He has been a middle-of-the-road receiver at best the last couple years in Oakland.
    Plenty of excuses can be made for him.
    We'll see how he finishes off his career.

His jersey may be retired someday, we'll see.
    I can see arguments in either direction.

I applaud Spach for wearing the jersey.
    It will bring out the fans of an individual player over the team and watching them whine and complain about it is entertaining.
    Poor Randy, the hero, his number is being worn by an unknown.
    It's nice to see people care about that.
    The Moss crotch sniffers have helped Randy earn his place of in the 'hall of nauseating former Vikings players'.
    Yet another thread about Randy in the Vikings forum when he hasn't been a part of the team for years.

Go Spach!
    Fuck Randy Moss.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "VKG4LFE" wrote:
    I know, but I think it should be retired. I know that doesn't sit well with many people around here, but just my opinion.
    If #81 isn't retired, then there's no frigging way that #84 should be.

=Z=
    If Randy wins a superbowl with NE, and then asks to come back to Minnesota for training camp just to retire as a Viking, and then makes the HoF... Then we can retire it.
    HELL NO!!!!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast