Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Reignman View Post
    Come on, nobody is calling for perfection, but when the helmets are purple and the jersey's are bright blue, it's annoying and distracting. However, it has improved in recent games. Last week the purple pants actually looked purple, and in the last preseason home game, the jersey's were a darker shade of purple like they should be. That first preseason game they were bright blue.
    You realize that is the TV feed, not the pants, right?
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by NodakPaul View Post
    If it was just the TV feed, wouldn't both the helmet & the pants appear blue instead of only 1 appearing purple & the other appearing blue?

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Reignman is offline Asst. Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by NodakPaul View Post
    Yes I do, but they can correct it with filters before it reaches my TV screen and sends me to the interwebs in a tizzy xD. They were blue, now they're purple, so the networks must have turned a knob or 2.

Minniman is offline Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Reignman View Post
    Yes I do, but they can correct it with filters before it reaches my TV screen and sends me to the interwebs in a tizzy xD. They were blue, now they're purple, so the networks must have turned a knob or 2.
    I have taught classes on light theory, photography, and video. Items do not actually have a color. The color we see is an interpretation of light reflected from a surface. All other light is absorbed.

What we see depends on the color characteristics of the light that is hitting the surface to begin with, so the color we see will be different in natural and artificial light. With video, the color we see will change depending on the receptors in the camera and any filters.

Purple, not violet, is difficult to keep the same in different media because purple is not part of the light spectrum. Purple is our brains' interpretation of seeing reflected blue and reflected red. Our eyes have no cone receptors for purple. Because purple is dependent on two other colors, its appearance is difficult to keep constant on different surfaces and in different lighting conditions. Having a smooth uniform and a matte helmet makes this more difficult.

That's all well and good, but this is the 21st century which has brought us TV's so clear we can see sweat actually coming out of pores. But for some reason they're having trouble transmitting the color purple? They didn't seem to have much trouble with the old jersey's, which I never remember looking blue. Sometimes they looked pinkish xD, but I digress, it has been much better in recent weeks. I knew they'd make some adjustments and get it fixed eventually so I never hit the panic button.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    If it was just the TV feed, wouldn't both the helmet & the pants appear blue instead of only 1 appearing purple & the other appearing blue?
    Nope. You could colour two different materials the same shade of purple, and they will look different. The helmet reflects light different than the pants, therefore different colours appear. Filters are in place to try and rectify the 'blue' problem.

Do you not remember the Vikings in the 90s/2000s? On TV, the helmets were purple, but the jerseys looked blue. This was a time before colour filters were really used, so hence the colour difference.

The newer reebok jerseys were the same colour, but filters were already in place that made sure they stayed purple on TV from day 1. The brand new jerseys are different colours, as are the helmets, which is why it's taken a few weeks to get the colours set properly. It's preseason for broadcasters as well as teams, We'll see on Sunday if they got the colour filters working properly yet or not.

Quote Originally Posted by i_bleed_purple View Post
    Do you not remember the Vikings in the 90s/2000s? On TV, the helmets were purple, but the jerseys looked blue. This was a time before colour filters were really used, so hence the colour difference
    To me they just looked like 2 different shades of purple. The helmets were dark purple and the jersey's light, but they both were purple. I remember the Giants having the same problem, their helmets were dark blue while the jersey's looked a lighter shade.

I could only post 1 video per post so here's what I remember of the old Viking helmet/jersey's. Just 2 different shades of purple.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by i_bleed_purple View Post
    Nope. You could colour two different materials the same shade of purple, and they will look different. The helmet reflects light different than the pants, therefore different colours appear. Filters are in place to try and rectify the 'blue' problem.

Do you not remember the Vikings in the 90s/2000s? On TV, the helmets were purple, but the jerseys looked blue. This was a time before colour filters were really used, so hence the colour difference.

The newer reebok jerseys were the same colour, but filters were already in place that made sure they stayed purple on TV from day 1. The brand new jerseys are different colours, as are the helmets, which is why it's taken a few weeks to get the colours set properly. It's preseason for broadcasters as well as teams, We'll see on Sunday if they got the colour filters working properly yet or not.
    I already new the answer to that one, thus the smiley. I deal with color regularly at work. Even the same material will have different color appearances depending on the grain/texture of the surface & how the color was applied.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Freya is offline Team Alumni
    This is a picture that I took at the draft party this year.
    I would say that the colors in this pic are accurate when compared to how it looked in person.

Attachment 515
    Last edited by Freya; 09-20-2013 at 08:34 AM.

Personally, I don't think there is intelligent life on other planets. Why should other planets be any different from this one?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast