Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: New GM

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Re: New GM

Here's more on the hiring of Foley from The Duluth News Tribune;

Posted on Thu, Jan. 26, 2006

[size=18px]Vikings hire Fran Foley as VP of personnel[/size]

Associated Press

EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. - The Minnesota Vikings hired Fran Foley as vice president of player personnel Thursday.

Foley has 12 years of experience in NFL personnel matters, having worked nine years for Jacksonville and the last three for San Diego.

In 1996, Jacksonville was in its second year when it went 9-7 in the regular season and reached the AFC championship game, setting an NFL record for the fastest expansion franchise to earn a playoff berth. The team went to the playoffs four straight times from 1996-1999 and won AFC Central titles in 1998 and 1999.

Foley also had a key role in the turnaround of the Chargers after he arrived in San Diego in 2003. The team struggled to a 4-12 finish in 2003 but went 12-4 in 2004 and won the AFC West title, San Diego's first division crown and playoff berth since 1992

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

"singersp" wrote:
    Here's more on the hiring of Foley from The Duluth News Tribune;

Posted on Thu, Jan. 26, 2006

[size=18px]Vikings hire Fran Foley as VP of personnel[/size]

Associated Press

EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. - The Minnesota Vikings hired Fran Foley as vice president of player personnel Thursday.

Foley has 12 years of experience in NFL personnel matters, having worked nine years for Jacksonville and the last three for San Diego.

In 1996, Jacksonville was in its second year when it went 9-7 in the regular season and reached the AFC championship game, setting an NFL record for the fastest expansion franchise to earn a playoff berth. The team went to the playoffs four straight times from 1996-1999 and won AFC Central titles in 1998 and 1999.

Foley also had a key role in the turnaround of the Chargers after he arrived in San Diego in 2003. The team struggled to a 4-12 finish in 2003 but went 12-4 in 2004 and won the AFC West title, San Diego's first division crown and playoff berth since 1992
    Looks like a good move, it seems like he knows his football. That article before was a bunch of crap. The Vikes are putting together a good front office, an excellent coaching staff, and we will have alot of key players... Purple Pride.........

Posted on Fri, Jan. 27, 2006

[size=18px]Vikings' new personnel chief eager to jump into Triangle[/size]

BY DON SEEHOLZER
    Pioneer Press

Fran Foley knows there are skeptics out there.

Hired Thursday as the Vikings' vice president of player personnel, he is about to make the leap from No. 3 man on the San Diego Chargers' personnel depth chart to the lead position, but Foley is confident he is up to the challenge.

"This position obviously is a big step up, but I've been in the league 12 years," he said by phone from San Diego. "There are a lot of guys that were named to similar positions that didn't have the background I have when they were hired."

Foley, 44, will be the top personnel man in the Vikings' revamped front office, working on an equal footing with coach Brad Childress and vice president of football operations Rob Brzezinski as part of a so-called Triangle of Authority and reporting directly to owner Zygi Wilf.

Foley was the only prong of that triangle available for comment Thursday, with Childress unavailable and Brzezinski declining, but Foley said he will have no trouble fitting into the committee approach.

Foley comes to the Vikings after three seasons as the Chargers' director of pro scouting and nine seasons with Jacksonville, five as assistant director of pro personnel and four as director of pro scouting.

That resume doesn't include any experience running an NFL draft, but Foley received a strong endorsement from former Jaguars vice president of player personnel Ron Hill.

"He's a hard worker," Hill said. "I'm sure he'll do fine once he gets going. Not having run a draft room before will be an adjustment, but I hadn't done that either before I did it for the first time. Where he came up from the pro side, I came up from the college side, but he's a bright guy. He'll learn."

Hill was one of seven candidates to interview for the Vikings' position and one of several with more experience than Foley.

Hill said he had no problem, though, losing out to a former subordinate.
    "He knows the league," Hill said. "He's been around the league for 12 years. That's a quality I think counts for something. He's been around some good programs. You look at the success of those teams, he's had his fingerprints on them. I think he's a good hire for the Vikings."

The Vikings, in the press release announcing the hiring of Foley, credited him with helping the Jaguars and Chargers rise quickly to the playoffs with his ability to procure talent through the draft and free agency.
    Foley was asked what he brings to the organization.

"It's tough for me to say," he said. "I don't want to say I'm this or that. I just think what I bring are organizational skills, successful talent evaluation from college right through to the pros. I think the work ethic is important. Working 12 years for Tom Coughlin is not an easy task."

Foley was an assistant coach and recruiting coordinator at Boston College from 1991-93 under Coughlin, the current New York Giants coach, before following him to the Jaguars.

Then, as now, Coughlin served as the final authority on personnel matters, and Foley was third in line in San Diego behind general manager A.J. Smith and assistant GM/director of player personnel Buddy Nix.

"I've been in two different styles, two different structures, with two different general managers," he said. "When we were in Jacksonville, Tom was the general manager as well as the head coach, so he was very involved in the decision-making process. People that are directors and scouts generally are information gatherers for the decision makers. I think everybody together has to work hand-in-hand."

Foley said that process will begin Monday when he arrives in Minnesota and begins personnel meetings to evaluate the team's roster and develop a plan for free agency and the draft.

Foley said director of college scouting Scott Studwell and pro personnel coordinator Jeff Robinson, who interviewed for the top personnel job, would stay on at least through the April 29-30 NFL draft, along with the rest of the scouting department.

"Everyone's going to stay on through the draft," Foley said. "I haven't had a chance to speak to all of them. I will speak to the scouts, but it's a little premature to talk about that. They're already in the process of getting ready for free agency, and I'm just going to jump in and add some things here and there and move forward."

Studwell and Robinson, whose contracts expire in May, could not be reached for comment.

In addition to Hill, other outside candidates interviewed by the Vikings were former Miami general manager Rick Spielman, Kansas City vice president of player personnel Bill Kuharich and Jacksonville pro personnel director Charlie Bailey.

The announcement of Foley's hiring came a couple of days after the news he had been offered the job, but he said there were no stumbling blocks in negotiations.

"This was a very thorough process," he said. "When I came in for the first interview, these guys had three pages of questions. It wasn't a simple process. We worked through the process. It was very smooth."
    Foley said the opportunity to work for Wilf was one of the main reasons he took the job.

"Wherever I've been, there's been great ownership, whether it be Wayne Weaver in Jacksonville or Dean Spanos here in San Diego," he said. "That was one of the things that attracted me to Minnesota. At the same time, it's a step up. It's a career advancement for me, and I think I can master the job."

Europe-bound:

The Vikings announced the signing of five players who either spent time on the practice squad or were with the team during training camp this past season.

Four of the players — offensive tackle Sean Bubin, kicker Jonathan Nichols, defensive end Eric Taylor and cornerback Marvin Ward — were assigned to NFL Europe, along with wide receiver Aaron Hosack, who sat out the season because of injury.

Wide receiver Kelvin Kight was the other player signed.

Briefly: New St. Louis Rams coach Scott Linehan, a former Vikings offensive coordinator, interviewed former special-teams coordinator Rusty Tillman while in Mobile, Ala., for the Senior Bowl. Other former Vikings assistants scheduled to interview with the Rams were tight ends coach John Tice and running backs coach Dean Dalton.

Don Seeholzer can be reached at [email protected]

Foley said director of college scouting Scott Studwell and pro personnel coordinator Jeff Robinson, who interviewed for the top personnel job, would stay on at least through the April 29-30 NFL draft, along with the rest of the scouting department.

"Everyone's going to stay on through the draft," Foley said. "I haven't had a chance to speak to all of them. I will speak to the scouts, but it's a little premature to talk about that. They're already in the process of getting ready for free agency, and I'm just going to jump in and add some things here and there and move forward."

Studwell and Robinson, whose contracts expire in May, could not be reached for comment.
    Foley better not even think about getting rid of our scouting staff. Especially Studwell.

It's not broke, so why fuck with it?

I think we have one of the best scouting staffs in the league.

ChezPizmo is offline Coordinator

( http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/MIN/9190646 )
    [size=18px]Foley new Vikings VP of player personnel [/size]
    NFL.com wire reports

EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. (Jan. 26, 2006) -- The Minnesota Vikings hired Fran Foley as vice president of player personnel.

Foley has 12 years of experience in NFL personnel matters, having worked nine years for Jacksonville and the past three for San Diego.

In 1996, Jacksonville was in its second year when it went 9-7 in the regular season and reached the AFC Championship Game, setting an NFL record for the fastest expansion franchise to earn a playoff berth. The team went to the playoffs four straight times from 1996-99 and won AFC Central titles in 1998 and 1999.

Foley also had a key role in the turnaround of the Chargers after he arrived in San Diego in 2003. The team struggled to a 4-12 finish in 2003 but went 12-4 in 2004 and won the AFC West title, San Diego's first division crown and playoff berth since 1992.

AP NEWS
    The Associated Press News Service

[size=9px]Copyright 2006, The Associated Press, All Rights Reserved[/size]
    [size=11pt]"The only thing better than food & football is maybe Brett Favre."

[size=8pt]

-John Madden on Thanksgiving while on "Mike & Mike In The Morning"

Posted on Sat, Jan. 28, 2006

[size=18px]Ex-bosses rave over Foley[/size]

BY DON SEEHOLZER
    Pioneer Press

So who is Fran Foley?

According to two of his former bosses, the Vikings' new vice president of player personnel is a highly organized workaholic with an eye for talent and a gift for multi-tasking.

"I've known him for a lot of years," San Diego Chargers general manager A.J. Smith said Friday. "You want someone who's a good evaluator, who's a tireless worker, and is going to be well organized and will have great energy for the job. I think that's probably what the Vikings felt when they went through the interview process. I'm sure he'll attack it and do a great job for them."

Foley, who signed a three-year contract with the Vikings on Thursday, served as the Chargers' director of pro scouting for the past three seasons.
    Before that, he spent 12 seasons working for current New York Giants coach Tom Coughlin — three as assistant coach and recruiting coordinator at Boston College and nine as the Jacksonville Jaguars' assistant director of pro personnel and director of pro scouting.

Coughlin, through the Giants' public relations department, said the Vikings couldn't have made a better hire.

"Fran is one of the most organized people I have ever been around," he said. "I first saw it when he was my recruiting coordinator at Boston College, and that is a position that absolutely requires great organizational skills. … He was the first person I hiredand brought with me to Jacksonville. He was an excellent sounding board for me as we were getting started there.

"He is smart, an excellent evaluator of talent, and he knows and understands value and can present it properly. If we were weighing a move in the area of personnel, he was the guy who would lay out the options."

For the first time in Foley's career, he will be calling the personnel shots with the Vikings, working on an equal footing with coach Brad Childress and vice president of football operations Rob Brzezinski in the team's so-called Triangle of Authority.

That's a big step, but Smith said he has no doubt Foley is up to the challenge.

"There's always a first time for everybody, but I think he'll do a terrific job and he'll work well with people, which is very important," Smith said. "You've got a new head coach there and new ownership, so it's a new beginning for them. I think it'll be a good mix."

Foley, 44, was part of a different committee approach in San Diego, but Smith said Foley would search tirelessly for talent — from the NFL to NFL Europe, the Arena League and the Canadian Football League.

"Fran was at the Grey Cup," Smith said. "I don't know how many teams actually send a director or scout. My point is he's a tireless worker and he'll look wherever there are players that you think can help your football team win."

The Vikings job will mark Foley's first experience at running an NFL draft, but those who know him best say he's a quick study.

"Fran has learned with every opportunity he has had," Coughlin said. "He is ambitious and has always welcomed more responsibility."

Briefly: Coordinator of pro personnel Jeff Robinson returned to the office but said he isn't sure of his status beyond May 31, when personnel staff contracts expire. Foley has said Robinson, director of college scouting Scott Studwell and the rest of the staff will stay on at least through the April 29-30 NFL draft.

• Add linebackers coach Pete Bercich to the list of former Vikings assistants who met with new St. Louis Rams coach Scott Linehan at the Senior Bowl this week in Mobile, Ala.

Don Seeholzer can be reached at [email protected]

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

I hope he has fun spending all the money we have under the cap!

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

Prophet Guest

KFFL
    Vikings | Roche hired as assistant trainer
    Mon, 30 Jan 2006 14:12:12 -0800

Dave Seamon, of the Standard-Speaker, reports the Minnesota Vikings have hired Rob Roche as an assistant trainer. In recent years, Roche helped the Philadelphia Eagles staff at home games, in addition to doing his regular job as an assistant trainer at Swarthmore College.

"Prophet" wrote:
    KFFL
    Vikings | Roche hired as assistant trainer
    Mon, 30 Jan 2006 14:12:12 -0800

Dave Seamon, of the Standard-Speaker, reports the Minnesota Vikings have hired Rob Roche as an assistant trainer. In recent years, Roche helped the Philadelphia Eagles staff at home games, in addition to doing his regular job as an assistant trainer at Swarthmore College.
    Another eaglet has left the nest.

Prophet Guest

KFFL
    Vikings | Team close to retaining Blando
    Sat, 11 Feb 2006 06:46:46 -0800

Don Seeholzer, of the Pioneer Press, reports the Minnesota Vikings are close to retaining director of football administration Dave Blando. He negotiates contracts and manages the salary cap with Rob Brzezinski the team's vice president of football operations and is expected to work out a new long-term contract before the start of free agency next month.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678