Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New GM

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Re: New GM

"MnFan_in_Canada" wrote:
    "digital420" wrote:
    BUD GRANT!!!!!!

DiGiTaL
    That's a name I hadn't even considered. I know that he keeps an office at Winter Park and that he "interviewed" Childress, but does he want to take on that responsiblity at his age? Does he have the experience to be a GM? Look what Buffalo just did. They brought Levy in as GM. Some would say the game has passed him by. Can't the same be said of Bud?
    IF Bud wanted it, he would already have it...he is fine as a consultant. As for Levy, the game hasn't passed him by...it is just that he can't get anyone to look at him as a coach anymore because of his age...which is probably stupid. All you have to do is look at Joe Paterno...someone who everyone thought that the game had passed by...just goes to show that you can't judge a book by its cover!

What we need is someone with prior experience...but that will be willing to work as a team player with the rest of the executive committee...because that is what the Wilfs want.
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"AngloVike" wrote:
    "COJOMAY" wrote:
    I love Bud Grant but a GM needs a business mind and BG has a coaching mind. I don't know if he's ever been on the business side of things.
    besides all those GM duties would get in the way of his hunting and fishing !!!

Seriously I would still bring someone else in but maybe B.G would be available to assist and advise without it being a full time job for him.
    That is why he is a consultant already...no need to change his job title or duties at all! :grin:
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

"cajunvike" wrote:
    What we need is someone with prior experience...but that will be willing to work as a team player with the rest of the executive committee...because that is what the Wilfs want.
    So who would suggest we look at?

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Posted on Thu, Jan. 05, 2006

[size=18px]The right guy is nearby[/size]

BY BOB SANSEVERE
    Pioneer Press

Early Monday afternoon, Zygi Wilf indicated that he was inclined to hire a general manager and have that person involved in hiring a coach. That plan changed faster than you can say, "Tice, you're history."

Wilf shifted into a hurry-up mode to find a coach. He practically has a conga line of candidates lined up outside his office. Which is fine — if he makes the right pick.

It would have helped if Wilf had gone with that original thought of first hiring a general manager, someone who knows more than him and his inner circle about choosing a coach.

Presumably, that scenario was gummed up when his top GM candidate, Tom Heckert, got a raise in pay and prestige from the Philadelphia Eagles.
    That's OK, though. The best candidate to oversee the football side of things for the Vikings still is available, and his office is just down the hall from Wilf's.

Nobody knows the Vikings and their needs better than Scott Studwell, the team's director of college scouting. He is perfectly qualified to be the franchise's general manager, or whatever Wilf chooses to call the position. Studwell should be involved in hiring a new coach but for some odd reason isn't.

Several weeks ago, Wilf talked about how "consistency is something that's very important in our consideration of how we move forward."

"I think we have a great foundation," he said.

Studwell is part of that foundation.

It was a wise move by Wilf to sign salary cap wiz Rob Brzezinski to a three-year deal. Making Studwell the team's general manager would be just as wise.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

From KFFL;

Vikings | Studwell a leading contender
    Sun, 15 Jan 2006 08:11:09 -0800

Updating previous reports, the Star Tribune reports right now the leading candidate for the player personnel job the Minnesota Vikings will create appears to be Scott Studwell, director of college scouting.

digital420 is offline Team Alumni

Scott is a great choice.. as i mentioned b4.. but i just don't see him with the level of knowledge and the experience we require to BUILD the foundations of the new Vikings era!!

yes i believe that he will fit the role like a tailerd suit after a few years.. but we need a quicker responce.. If scott takes the role.. i'd like to see him and B.G work together for the first year.. Scott has the business / football knowledge.. B.G. has the coaching / experience.. those combined for me bring the Vikes to a higher level sooner then later.

DiGiTaL

"We tried to stick with it, but there was a point where we were beating our head against a wall," Seattle Coach Mora talking about running at the Williams Wall

"digital420" wrote:
    Scott is a great choice.. as i mentioned b4.. but i just don't see him with the level of knowledge and the experience we require to BUILD the foundations of the new Vikings era!!

yes i believe that he will fit the role like a tailerd suit after a few years.. but we need a quicker responce.. If scott takes the role.. i'd like to see him and B.G work together for the first year.. Scott has the business / football knowledge.. B.G. has the coaching / experience.. those combined for me bring the Vikes to a higher level sooner then later.

DiGiTaL
    I couldn't have said it better. I truly hope Studwell gets the position.

collegeguyjeff is offline Hall of Famer

"MnFan_in_Canada" wrote:
    Any word on who the Wilf's are looking at for GM. Personally I wouldnt mind seeing them go after Ron Wolf. Even better would be promoting Scott Studwell.
    ron wolf? he's retired and i think he said he wants 6 mil a year and i don't see that happening.
    I don t buy Wisconsin cheese.

thepacksux is offline Asst. Coach

wasnt studwell just appointed the job of director of all scouting... or was that paul wiggin?

"thepacksux" wrote:
    wasnt studwell just appointed the job of director of all scouting... or was that paul wiggin?
    Scott Studwell is the Director of College Scouting & Paul Wiggin is the Senior Consultant-Pro Personnel

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast