Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

New era: Vikings fans have wait-and-see attitude toward Childress regime

Published August 13, 2006 01:06 am

The 11s and 84s have all but disappeared, replaced with 52s, 82s and 42s.

[size=18pt]New era: Vikings fans have wait-and-see attitude toward Childress regime[/size]

By Shane Frederick
    The Free Press

MANKATO —
    The 11s and 84s have all but disappeared, replaced with 52s, 82s and 42s.

Those are the numbers adorning the replica jerseys of Vikings fans hanging around training camp the last couple of weeks.

If you’re looking for proof that this is indeed the start of a new football era in Minnesota, just look at the jerseys in the crowd.

Daunte Culpepper? He’s been put in moth balls. Randy Moss? Look for him in an upcoming yard sale.

They’ve been replaced with the Vikings’ newly designed digs and fresh players like Chad Greenway, Troy Williamson and Darren Sharper.

“It is a new era,” said Alex Johnson of Lakeville, who was wearing a No. 29 Chester Taylor jersey. “There have been some good changes. I think they needed it.”

Occasionally, an ex-Viking’s jersey shows up in the stands — a Cris Carter here, a Robert Smith there — but one shirt that hasn’t surfaced is the “In Tice we trust” T-shirts that popped up all over training camp four years ago, Mike Tice’s first camp as head coach.

“The best decision the Vikings made was getting rid of Tice,” Johnson said.

But there haven’t been any “In Childress we trust” shirts yet.

Many fans, even those who have watched practice every day, seem to be holding off judgment on first-year coach Brad Childress until after camp breaks Friday and the regular season begins in September.

“It almost seems like a new era for a new team,” said Jared Chicos, a Mankato native who now lives in Cheyenne, Wyo. “But the jury’s still out. When the games start counting that’s when we’re going to see what happens.”

Jordan Scott of Rosemount and Peter Strand of Fargo, N.D., agreed.

“I’m still waiting to see if a lot of their moves pan out,” said Scott, who was wearing a Sharper jersey. “I want to see if they made their decisions flying off the handle or if they really thought about it.”

Said Strand: “I’m looking forward to what (Childress) can do with the organization. With all of the free agents we picked up, I think it’s going to be a good year. If we can get to the playoffs, it’s going to be a great year.”

Phil Rooney wore a No. 42 Sharper jersey, and his wife, Connie, wore a No. 14 Brad Johnson. The Wayzata couple said they think the new regime is bringing more discipline to the team.

“I hope they turn their whole image and season around,” Phil Rooney said, “and be more respectable on and off the field.

“I think they’ve done everything right so far. We’ll see, as the season goes on, what happens.”

Jeff Boelter of South St. Paul wore an old jersey but went way back with a No. 70 Jim Marshall. His son, Alex had a No. 10 Fran Tarkenton, and son Ryan had a No. 11, but it wasn’t Culpepper; it was Joe Kapp.

“We’re old school” Boelter said.

Boelter attended last season’s 37-8 Vikings loss at Cincinnati, calling it “an absolute disaster.” He said he’s glad to see both Tice and Culpepper, who threw five interceptions in that game, gone.

Tice is now an assistant coach with the Jacksonville Jaguars, and Culpepper was traded to the Miami Dolphins a year after Randy Moss was traded to the Oakland Raiders.

“Change is good, to a certain degree,” Boelter said. “We had Moss and Culpepper, but when we had those two, where did we go?”

Boelter, a collector of Vikings memorabilia, said he likes the team’s uniform change, too. If anything, the new design is boosting the sales of those rookie and second-year player jerseys.

Many fans said the uniform change is as much a part of the makeover as the coaching change.

“That and the new uniforms,” Strand said. “We’re getting rid of the old Vikings and bringing in the new Vikings now.

“I can feel it. Can you feel it?”

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Re: New era: Vikings fans have wait-and-see attitude toward Childress regime

Boelter attended last season’s 37-8 Vikings loss at Cincinnati, calling it “an absolute disaster.” He said he’s glad to see both Tice and Culpepper, who threw five interceptions in that game, gone.
    I was right there with him watching us get the snot beat out of us while I got hit with food and foul words.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

JellyBean2144 is offline Pro-Bowler

Good article. It pretty much sums up my feelings for the new regime. It all sounds great on paper "new coach", "all about change", "change is good"...... The bottom line, we need to get back that respect that we once had. Teams do not fear us, I want teams TOO FEAR US!!! When teams line up across us, I want them to realize that for the next 3 hours they will be getting their butts kicked by the men in PURPLE!!!

Good luck, Coach C. I trust you.

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

I am not going to be wait and see!
    I am glad that we got rid of Tice and so far I like what Childress has done and I hope he is guiding the ship for a lot of years.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

i got to say, its nice having a defensive player as one of your most popular players, i do at times miss our throw it up offense - it was entertaining as hell (as well as frustrating), but im glad those times are over

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

I reallylike this read.. I will soon be getting my "new uniform design" authentic jersey with #42 on it, and will say VFinWis..

shawn9876uss is offline Coordinator

I really liked this article, I am extremely excited for this game and year, but I am a wait and see on how they are going to look this year.

Thanks PurpleMafia

oakmage is offline Starter

I am hoping that Childress is going to be a great coach for this team I like the changes because I was getting scared that the "Culture of losing" was starting to take hold with the Vikings because of the old coach and owner that we had.

Jviking is offline Pro-Bowler

I also like this article. I am also optimistic and excited to see it all unfold.
    i have a god feeling about the new "regime"...
    I BLEED PURPLE!

Braddock is offline Hall of Famer

To make it better, I believe we have a franchise quarterback entering at the same time as the new regime takes over. The perfect setup for some NBC special before a Superbowl victory. I think T-Jack and Childress and Williamson with our defense will take us to a whole new level...... Here we go ladies and gents, it's going to be a wild ride.
    Trying to bring rationale to an irrational site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast