Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: New deal for Antoine Winfield may be close!

"Zeus" wrote:

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!

That's DECEMBER of last year!
    How many negative things since then?

=Z=
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "gagarr" wrote:
    I mentioned such a idea a while back as part of how the Vikes can keep Favre healthy and rested for the playoffs.

The Favre haters came up with reasons why it wouldn't work.

They think it won't work because of timing issues with WR's, exchange between center and QB, expectations from OL for protection, exchange between QB and RB, and other nuances.
    Not sure if I really like to use the word hate, however, for the sake of discussion, I readily admit I am 100% against him coming, however, to sit here and think you can use a QB like a relief pitcher in baseball is kindof crazy.
    All "Hating" aside, like it or not, those types of things are very important to how the offense works, especially in the WCO that we run.

Requirements and disadvantages
    The West Coast offense requires a quarterback who throws extremely accurately, and often blindly, very close to opposing players. In addition, it requires the quarterback to be able quickly to pick one of 5 receivers to throw to — much more quickly than previously used systems. Often, the quarterback cannot think about the play, but instead reacts instinctively — and thus is often under the control of the offensive coordinator, calling the plays for him.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Coast_offense

There are three main principles to minimize risk and achieve success with the West Coast offense. These include protecting the quarterback, timing the pass, and using multiple receivers (including using backs as receivers). Pressure from the pass rush can result in loss of yardage and can disrupt timing between the quarterback and receivers, resulting in forced passes. Repeated hits on the quarterback take a toll physically and invite injury. The offense must have a plan to handle the pass rush of linemen, shooting linebackers, and defensive back blitzes. When the defense sends more rushers than available blockers, the hot receiver principle is used in order to get rid of the ball before the rusher can get to the quarterback.
    http://football.calsci.com/WCOHistory6.html

Long story short, the tree that the recievers will run, based on what the D is showing, has to be exact or you will get things like "Tipped" balls, balls hitting the recievers in the back shoulder, short hopped etc.

Which I think could be mitigated by giving TJ/Sage more snaps with the 1st string during practice, once confident that Favre and the offense are in sync.
    Thus, saving Favre's arm in practice too.
    You do realize that a teams weekly schedule doesn't really have much time for actual on field reps right and almost all of those reps are done by the pakcage that will be doing them.

To take reps away from your number one and then split them up between 2 backups so you can "Spare" his arm is again, really not how reality is in the NFL.

But what I found more compelling was the potential off the field issues:
    If TJ/Sage perform badly, it hurts their confidence and there will be lots of questions about what Chilly was thinking

If TJ/Sage perform GREAT.
    What happens the following week if Favre struggles early, do you pull him?
    The crowd may start asking for it.
    The media will jump on it.
    etc.
    Instant QB controversy.

So I gave up the idea and decided that it would be best to just do more running to burn the clock... using CT to save AD.
    Give some of the younger players at WR more time, etc.
    Only letting TJ/Sage in during the later part of the 4th, where you also start subing OL too.
    Thus, I hate to say it, but it would make it harder for TJ/Sage to succeed, but also wouldn't put the game at that much risk either.
    I for one don't cotton much to the idea that what the press and fans say really affects the players much, especially at the QB position.

My guess, TJ knows why LNAD is being brought in.........

a.
    He hasn't quite got reading D's down pat.
    b.
    He can't make the quick throws because he can't read the D's yet.
    c.
    When he does make the throw, he hesitates cause of a and b.

He knows he will be allowed to sit the bench and learn the way he was supposed to.

Sage on the other hand, has had this happen to him before.
    Lets not forget, he was brought in before Schaub and at that point and time, he thought he was gonna be the sure starter.
    To bad for him the staff had a opportunity to get another QB that they didn't think would be available.

Kindof like the current predicament he is in with the Vikes.
    Young QB that might not be ready for prime time who needs to sit a spell, looked like a sure thing to be the starter.
    Alas, LNAD is released by the Jets and becomes available.
    Vikes opt for thier Schaub (LNAD) and now Sage is on the outs.

Anyway, call me a hater, but I hope I've answered Neds question as well as given you all kinds of stuff that explains why I think things like timing is important and none of it had anything to do with LNAD.

Excellent post my friend. Please move yourself up a column on your spreadsheet.

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

"singersp" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    I hope the contract is short or highly back loaded. He will hit the wall in the next 2 years and we don't need a high salary eating up cap room on a senior citizen.
    **cough** Brett Favre (40)
    Pretty sure the requirement to be considered a senior citizen in the US is 65 or something like that.

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

"marstc09" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    I hope the contract is short or highly back loaded. He will hit the wall in the next 2 years and we don't need a high salary eating up cap room on a senior citizen.
    **cough** Brett Favre (40)
    Pretty sure the requirement to be considered a senior citizen in the US is 65 or something like that.
    According to wikipedia Brett Favre is a senior citizen.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Senior_citizen
    Senior citizen is a common polite designation for an elderly person in both UK and US English, and it implies or means that the person is retired.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011