Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Negatives

Negatives

While our offense seems to be as good as ever, there are a few things that seem to be as problomatic as ever...

Special Teams as a whole seem pretty mediocre
    Red Zone offense seems below average
    Turnovers not in our favor again
    More stupid penalties

If we can actually clear up some of these regularly occurring problems we might actually be able to beat some of these teams by several TD's. But, until we cure these problems I do not think we are a Super Bowl caliber team. Good but not great. Agree or disagree?
    Even babies know the difference.

Negatives

Oh, and don't let me forget the defense.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Negatives

I agree that we can't beat ourselves...which things like penalties, turnovers, not scoring in the red zone and poor special teams play all include. But we also need the defense to step up and stop people (especially on third down). The Saints only punted twice, which means that they had alot of third down conversions. If the defense is to get better, they must learn to stop teams on third down...otherwise we will continue to witness the types of shootouts that we have seen most of the year. The problem is one day, our offense might sputter and the other team will outscore us and win the game...and this usually happens in the playoffs, where you don't have next week to regroup.
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

hawaiianvike21 is offline Team Alumni

Negatives

I agree with you for the most part but penalty wise we only had 5 penalties for 30 something yards which is damn good. Red zone offense, jsut about every time we got there we scored a td, except the field goal and the early pick. Other then that we are doing good in the red zone.
    Hupo oe ke kau ana i ka waiupa a ma kou pa o & Hupo na Po o waiupa a

dan3ski is offline Coordinator

Negatives

Actually N.O. punted 3-4 times but the Vikings turned the ball over 3 times and I will say none of those were Culpepper's fault. One was a bad snap , one was a deep pass and the first one was a great defensive play. Remember last season when in the first six games the Vikings had very few turnovers then everything fell apart so I am still holding my breath.
    can we clone Bud Grant?

purplepat is offline Hall of Famer

Negatives

I thought the defense actually played fairly well for most of the plays in the game. It did seem, though, that they gave up a bunch of 3rd and longs for first downs. If they can correct that, they will be much tougher.

Three huge plays in the game were Culpepper's interception in the first drive, the fumble (again in scoring territory) that the Saints returned to deep in Vikings territory, and the fake punt the Saints ran for a huge gain and first down. If you can eliminate those three mistakes, and assuming the Vikings score at least two FGs on the scoring opportunities they lost, there is a huge turnaround in the score and the game is an absolute blowout.
    SKOL VIKINGS!

sdvikefan is offline Hall of Famer

Negatives

Yeah the pick was nobody's fault really, just bad circumstances. If Moss hadn't pulled his hamstring and fallen down, it wouldn't have even been a pick.
    "Meet at the quarterback!" -Purple People Eaters

ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

Negatives

Our defense was brutal. Other than Winfield's pick and a couple of sacks, maybe a pass broken up or two, we sucked.

This defense has played as good as we did last year, minus the turnovers.

Cotrell is a joke. Seriously some of the playcalling is pathetic. We still manage to gives up those 3rd and long conversions no problem. The amount of cushion we give these receivers is ridiculous. Now maybe this will get better as the season goes on, but so far I have seen no progression since week one. Where the hell is Russell? This guy has been invisible all season.

Anyway, the offense is still amazing, special teams played their best game of the season, save for that huge run off a fake by the Saints where he just ran by our guys who were not even looking.

In my opinion Rusty Tillman sucks. I know Tice is pissed with him.

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.

Ryno is offline Rookie

Negatives

This year Special teams is much improved from last years.
    Remember when our opponent’s offensive had the ball on the 35-yard line or better on what seemed like every kick off.

Negatives

Yeah, Tillman has done a pretty piss poor job over the last couple years. Elling alone should be enough to get him fired.

Regarding the defense, as a whole they are not playing that bad (yes, better than last year) but when they are giving up so many points to these teams it makes it look alot worse on paper. We should have killed both of our last opponents. These tight games shouldn't be happening as much as they do. We can't win a championship without a better defense.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast