Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Prophet Guest

Napoleon sees no waterloo in Minny & is happy to be a Vi

NAPOLEON SEES NO WATERLOO IN MINNY
    3 March 2005

With former Vikings receiver Randy Moss wearing his new silver and black No. 18 jersey and raring to get to work for his new team in Oakland, the player sent from the Raiders to Minnesota as part of the deal disagrees with Moss' assessment that the All-Pro wideout is now in position to win a Super Bowl.

"My opinion is now I have a chance to win a Super Bowl with Minnesota," linebacker Napoleon Harris told the Minneapolis Star Tribune on Wednesday. "Last time I checked, Minnesota made the playoffs and won a game, and [the Raiders] were 5-11 and didn't even make the playoffs."

Harris was a first-round pick of the Raiders in 2002 (which prompted the team to cut on the eve of the season Greg Biekert, who ironically finished his career with two seasons in Minny). Harris was shipped to Minnesota with the team's first-rounder in 2005 (seventh overall), along with a seventh-round pick.

"I'm still a young player, and I definitely can become an impact linebacker in this league," Harris said. "If you throw in a top-10 pick, I guess I could say the same thing about the Vikings that people are saying about Randy putting the Raiders over the hump."

Although the Raiders seem to be ignoring the potential impact of Moss in the locker room if/when he doesn't get his way or chooses not to play hard, Harris recognizes that chemistry is important. "The year we went to the Super Bowl in Oakland, we had good chemistry," Harris said. "The next year, everything fell apart. We had some injuries and a lot of dissension on the team. In order for the ship to go in one direction, you can't have people paddling in different directions."

With that said, we don't think Moss will be a problem for the Raiders in 2005, or possibly in 2006. In the same way that former Moss teammate Cris Carter benefited from a fresh start when he came to Minnesota in 1990, Randy's do-over in Oakland will yield great results in 2005 for him, and for the team.

The problems won't arise unless and until Randy gets upset, frustrated, moody, and/or complacent. And once that cat is out of the bag, the Raiders never, ever will be confused with the Patriots.

Until, that is, Randy gets another fresh start.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

-------------

Last update: March 3, 2005 at 5:42 AM
    Harris happy to be a Viking
    Mark Craig, Star Tribune
    March 3, 2005 VIKE0303.HARRIS

As someone who has been to a Super Bowl in his career, linebacker Napoleon Harris said he can't figure out why everyone assumes Randy Moss is closer to the championship game with the Oakland Raiders than Harris is with the Vikings.

"My opinion is now I have a chance to win a Super Bowl with Minnesota," Harris said by phone after the trade between the two teams was announced on Wednesday. "Last time I checked, Minnesota made the playoffs and won a game, and [the Raiders] were 5-11 and didn't even make the playoffs."

The 6-2, 255-pound Harris turned 26 on Friday. He was the 23rd overall draft pick in 2002, and was an all-league rookie on a Raiders team that advanced to the Super Bowl.

In addition to Harris, the Vikings also received the seventh pick and a seventh-round selection in the April 23-24 draft.

"I'm still a young player, and I definitely can become an impact linebacker in this league," Harris said. "If you throw in a top-10 pick, I guess I could say the same thing about the Vikings that people are saying about Randy putting the Raiders over the hump."

If part of the reason the Vikings traded Moss was to improve team chemistry, Harris said it was the right decision.

"The year we went to the Super Bowl in Oakland, we had good chemistry," Harris said. "The next year, everything fell apart. We had some injuries and a lot of dissension on the team. In order for the ship to go in one direction, you can't have people paddling in different directions."

Harris said he prefers to play strong-side linebacker and probably will begin there in training camp. He also said he can establish credibility with his teammates quickly enough to take over the vacant leadership role of the defense before the start of the regular season.

"I feel the defense has talent," Harris said. "They need someone vocal who can get guys fired up about playing for the Vikings. Coaches can only do so much."

Harris made 189 tackles in his first two seasons, but slipped to a career-low 61 in 14 games last season. He said he tried to come back too early from arthroscopic knee surgery after missing the preseason and the first two regular season games.

"I wasn't the same player," Harris said. "In my mind, I knew exactly what to do. But my body couldn't do it."

Harris said his knee has healed since the end of the season. He passed his Vikings physical on Wednesday.

A native of Chicago and a Northwestern grad, Harris said he is happy to return to the Midwest. He grew up a Bears fan, but is looking forward to wearing purple, the same color he wore in high school and college.

"I guess I can understand why everyone is talking about Randy and the Raiders," Harris said. "He's a high-profile player. But people who know me, know I can play. Let's play the season, see where the Raiders are and where the Vikings are, and then everyone can judge."

Harris was asked if he thought his chances of finishing with a better record than Moss were good.

"Good," Harris said. "I don't want to sound like I'm bitter toward the Raiders because I'm not. But let's just say I'm a confident guy."

Mark Craig is at [email protected]

http://www.startribune.com/stories/503/5270414.html

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

awesome.. everytime nap speaks i like him more and more.. looks like he is very happy to be here.. and ready to come out help us get to the SB!!

TATEone is offline Starter

Sounds like a pretty good guy who is excited to be here. I like him already.
    I voluntarily agree to not indulge in any alcohol, drugs, or engage in any other illegal activity that may in any way jeopardize the years of hard work we as a team have committed to our goal of a championship season in '76.

Definately the type of attitude we need on our defense!!!!!

vikingsfanatic94 is offline Training Camp

I will extend an open hand to Napoleon Harris! Welcome to the Vikings! Its GREAT to have you in Purple! Also a Warm welcome to Pat Williams!

Let s put the women and children to bed and go look for dinner... (the Program)

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

I am really excited to see what these guys can do!

PAvikesfan is offline Star Spokesman

Keep the defensive FA's coming red! add a CB FA and we are on are way!

gpete13 is offline Starter

"I guess I can understand why everyone is talking about Randy and the Raiders," Harris said. "He's a high-profile player. But people who know me, know I can play. Let's play the season, see where the Raiders are and where the Vikings are, and then everyone can judge."

I like the sound of it, sounds like there is some fire to him!

XxS2TheEvoxX is offline Pro-Bowler

I really like his attitude.

ndakvikefan is offline Starter

From some forums I read, it sounds like the Raieder fans say they are pissed that they lost Harris> ESPN and some others are saying he underachieved but the Raider fans sure seem to like him.
    8f72d7a2bfbfd6a931c3ea8edbece812

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast