Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    PurpleManiac is offline Pro-Bowler

Re: Napoleon Harris as inside linebacker

The way our LB corp is..

Newman really isn't starting material. He would be a good LB to rush the passer or as a sub and he probably will stuggle in the new Cover 2 defense.

EJ is our best LB and the only one I'm comfortable starting. I just think he is going to be a beast next season.

Dontarious Thomas is good and very very VERY fast but he's not starting material yet. He still makes alot of mistakes. He is however, our best coverage LB.

Napo is a wildcard. Since Cottrell did not utilize him correctly I'm not to sure if he is good enough to start. I know it was bad enough that he was yanked from starting and his PT went nearly to zero.

Overall our LB was surprisingly solid last year but I will have to agree with Smoot and say we'll need at least 2 new starters there.

Thanks for the Sig LitlHarsh

VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

"muchluv4smoot" wrote:
    I can show you guys a ton of my posts from last offseason after we acquired Napo, where I said we are really blowing this Moss trade if we don't use Napo at MLB. He is a much much better suited to play MLB and it showed when he had his best year in Oakland playing MLB in a 4-3. I don't think he is a stud MLB, but he is twice the player in the middle then he is outside.

If we don't find a MLB this offseason, I wouldn't mind seeing him and DT battle for the starting MLB spot.

I still think we should use EJ at strong side LB though and sign witherspoon or peterson for WILL, instead of this crappy news that we are looking at signing Leber, who is a SAM LB. I guess that could mean we are looking at putting EJ back in the middle and hopefully looking for a WILL this offseason too.
    I can voutch for that, i do remeber you saying that, i was pro because we had cowart and EJ who are both MLB's. Maybe thats his ticket to getting his game back.

VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

"PurpleManiac" wrote:
    The way our LB corp is..

Newman really isn't starting material. He would be a good LB to rush the passer or as a sub and he probably will stuggle in the new Cover 2 defense.

EJ is our best LB and the only one I'm comfortable starting. I just think he is going to be a beast next season.

Dontarious Thomas is good and very very VERY fast but he's not starting material yet. He still makes alot of mistakes. He is however, our best coverage LB.

Napo is a wildcard. Since Cottrell did not utilize him correctly I'm not to sure if he is good enough to start. I know it was bad enough that he was yanked from starting and his PT went nearly to zero.

Overall our LB was surprisingly solid last year but I will have to agree with Smoot and say we'll need at least 2 new starters there.
    Call me crazy but i've watched the film and i think EJ is our best in coverage, he's not great but his coverage skills have imporved alot since his first days with us. He has more batted passes then Donatarius and he has the instints to disect pass/run quickly without taking false steps.

Thomas is horrible, i had really high hopes for the guy but everytime he gets on the field i get that feeling he's a major weakness. He has no instincts and just because he has athleticism doesn't mean he's our best in coverage, he hesitates lets the play get behind him then uses his speed to get the tackle. He's got alot of work to do, i just don't see him all of the sudden becoming that LB we need in the Middle or anywhere. Maybe specail teams.

alberta_vike is offline Starter

I think that no matter what we still need somebody else to play weakside linebacker, nobody currently on the roster can play there in my opinion. Getting somebody like Witherspoon or Ayodele ( I think he can play WILL) to play on the weakside, then let Henderson, Harris, Thomas, and Leber (if he gets signed) battle it out for the remaining two spots. That would be my ideal situation. Hopefully with the new coaching staff, the younger guys like Thomas and Henderson can actually stop making the mental errors that they constantly made under Cotrell. There is plenty of talent at the linebacker position on this team, if only they could all get their mental mistakes under control.

"vikingstw" wrote:
    Napo was horrible last year, I'm having doubts about wether he'll ever get back on the field as a starter period. Maybe with good coaching he can get it done, we will see.

As far as i'm concerned his major weakness is coverage, not good.

i agree!! Napoleon Harris ended the season as like a 3rd string player!!! I wouldn't want him back starting, let alone playing the leader position on the field!! Lets get Witherspoon and that other guy!!! (name slips my mind)!!!
    http://www.myspace.com/pooptin

muchluv4smoot is offline Team Alumni

"vikingstw" wrote:
    "PurpleManiac" wrote:
    The way our LB corp is..

Call me crazy but i've watched the film and i think EJ is our best in coverage, he's not great but his coverage skills have imporved alot since his first days with us. He has more batted passes then Donatarius and he has the instints to disect pass/run quickly without taking false steps.

Thomas is horrible, i had really high hopes for the guy but everytime he gets on the field i get that feeling he's a major weakness. He has no instincts and just because he has athleticism doesn't mean he's our best in coverage, he hesitates lets the play get behind him then uses his speed to get the tackle. He's got alot of work to do, i just don't see him all of the sudden becoming that LB we need in the Middle or anywhere. Maybe specail teams.

I wouldn't completely give up on DT yet. I think he has lacked the coaching needed to develope him into the player we expected him to become. He is a very smart kid and has all the tools to be a great LB, he just needs the coaching help and to stop thinking and just start reacting and playing.

He is similar to Willie Offord if you ask me. Offord had all the tools to be a very good saftey and I think last season we finally saw the start of offord getting it and becoming a good safety. I think we now have the coaching needed for faster player development and hopefully that will kick start DT. HOPEFULLY :grin:

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

"muchluv4smoot" wrote:
    "vikingstw" wrote:
    "PurpleManiac" wrote:
    The way our LB corp is..

I wouldn't completely give up on DT yet. I think he has lacked the coaching needed to develope him into the player we expected him to become. He is a very smart kid and has all the tools to be a great LB, he just needs the coaching help and to stop thinking and just start reacting and playing.

He is similar to Willie Offord if you ask me. Offord had all the tools to be a very good saftey and I think last season we finally saw the start of offord getting it and becoming a good safety. I think we now have the coaching needed for faster player development and hopefully that will kick start DT. HOPEFULLY :grin:

muchluv4smoot,
    Just think about what your saying, if it is the problem and if it does only get better, imagine how nasty our D will be this year....

OH MAN>>>>>

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

"muchluv4smoot" wrote:
    "vikingstw" wrote:
    "PurpleManiac" wrote:
    The way our LB corp is..

I agree Muchluv.

ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

Hehe, Muchluv wern't you the one who predicted DT to be better than DJ Williams ? :P

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.

muchluv4smoot is offline Team Alumni

"ItalianStallion" wrote:
    Hehe, Muchluv wern't you the one who predicted DT to be better than DJ Williams ? :P

Nah, that was some idiot with the name muchluv4moss. :lol:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast