Posted on Sat, Dec. 23, 2006

[size=13pt]Harris hopes to stay[/size]

BY SEAN JENSEN
    Pioneer Press

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

patistheman is offline Starter

Re: Napoleon Harris hopes to stay

I have some mixed feelings on Harris.
    I would definitley say bring him back, but please do not overpay him.
    He has looked great many times this year especially on run defense and is pass rushing is pretty decent also.
    However when we are in zone coverage it seems to me that most of the completions come in the middle of the field which would be the linebackers responsibility.
    Don't get me wrong i want him back, but he is not worth a big contract in my opinion.
    To his credit his arm injury did affect him and he even admitted it in the article so who knows what he would be like if he hadnt got injured.
    Hopefully we bring him back and greenway can be a stud in pass coverage so we can have a nice little rotation with our linebackers, so i definitley hope he is back.

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

He'd better stay.

I was very happy with his level of play and he is one big reason we shutdown the run.

spikecyrus is offline Rookie

i hope (except for smoot) we can keep most of our defense togther, they did well. With greenway, griffin, blue, and ray edwards spun into the mix and some stud draft picks I belive we will be even more stout. i would like to see an upgrade to corner

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"spikecyrus" wrote:
    i hope (except for smoot) we can keep most of our defense togther, they did well. With greenway, griffin, blue, and ray edwards spun into the mix and some stud draft picks I belive we will be even more stout. i would like to see an upgrade to corner
    Not to turn this into a Smoot debate, but Smoots level of play improved this year over what it was at the beginning of the season. He started tackling better & wrapping up players, his zone coverage was better & he wasn't slipping & falling down like he was in the beginning of the season.

Was the competion with Griffin motivation? I think so. Is he playing at a level equal to his pay? Hell no.

The main reason I can see letting him go is to free up cap room, but if he were to restructure his contract to something a lot more reasonable, I can see keeping him around. We need to maintain good depth at all the positions on both sides of the ball as injuries this year have shown that.

The thought of Smoot being gone & Whitaker being Griffins back-up makes my stomache churn.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

If he hopes to stay, then he will come back at a lower rate right? I don't mind if they bring him back, just don't break the bank to do it.. He brought his game to a much higher level this season..

It was nice to see him back at the position that he excelled in.. With Greenway coming back next season, and the possibility of EJ Henderson moving back to MLB, they may pass on bringing him back.. What if though we have a bunch of injuries like we did this season? Then we don't have the depth.. I guess it all depends on what his going rate is.. Time will tell..

HornedHat is offline Asst. Coach

Well, if Nappy leaves, that will mean we got zip for Randy. Unless, Troy has that mythical 3rd year breakout season, he looks like a bust. The good news? We already got the best out of Randy, since he is now an official cancer and is losing some of his edge. A wash on that trade, so I feel better, and I can still hope on Troy for one more season.

MetalMike-LoudVike is offline Hall of Famer

Napoleon should get a new deal all there is to it, helped big with the run and could even do some coverage stuff hes had some picks this year why not give him a new deal

MMLV
    IN THE PITS ON THE RIVER BEDS EVRY VIKING FAN WILL RISE & VAHALLA SHALL REJOICE WITH THE MOST GLORIOUS PRIZE LOMBARDI'S TROPHY