Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: Mythbusting: Vikings to L.A. Coliseum?

I can say that the state is having problems funding more than just bridge repairs in the state. The roads in outstate which were rated very good 20 years ago are now crap due to the lack of maintainance. There are also a multitude of cities that are in line for funding to improve their water and sewer plants in order to comply with state mandates and there are other things that are also competing for a piece of the pie. While it is true that they are coming from different parts of the budget, they are in the end coming from the same pockets.

One thing I keep bringing up is the idea of building it himself. I have said a number of times that if Red had built it himself instead of waiting for a handout the stadium could have been built for 1/3 of what it will cost by the time it is approved and built and he would have had to have had no ties to the state and would not have had to meet their stipulations. Back when he first proposed a stadium, the cost was projected at 250-300 million and now it will be over a billion before it is finished. If you do the math it would have been cheaper. Even considering the cost of construction increases I believe Wilf would have spent less in the end if he would have taken his initial plans and built it himself.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    I can say that the state is having problems funding more than just bridge repairs in the state. The roads in outstate which were rated very good 20 years ago are now crap due to the lack of maintainance. There are also a multitude of cities that are in line for funding to improve their water and sewer plants in order to comply with state mandates and there are other things that are also competing for a piece of the pie. While it is true that they are coming from different parts of the budget, they are in the end coming from the same pockets.

One thing I keep bringing up is the idea of building it himself. I have said a number of times that if Red had built it himself instead of waiting for a handout the stadium could have been built for 1/3 of what it will cost by the time it is approved and built and he would have had to have had no ties to the state and would not have had to meet their stipulations. Back when he first proposed a stadium, the cost was projected at 250-300 million and now it will be over a billion before it is finished. If you do the math it would have been cheaper. Even considering the cost of construction increases I believe Wilf would have spent less in the end if he would have taken his initial plans and built it himself.
    Not to mention that a new stadium has been a issue for several years prior to the bridge collapse, but it still did not get passed.

When & if it does get passed, the monies funded by the state will probably far exceed the monies they would have paid if they had funded it 100% when it was initially proposed.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"singersp" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:

Not to mention that a new stadium has been a issue for several years prior to the bridge collapse, but it still did not get passed.

When & if it does get passed, the monies funded by the state will probably far exceed the monies they would have paid if they had funded it 100% when it was initially proposed.

Only if they cave. If they have any guts they will stick to their guns and let the team build it themselves like other businesses have to.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:

Only if they cave. If they have any guts they will stick to their guns and let the team build it themselves like other businesses have to.
    Why would the Wilf ownership group cough up over a billion dollars for a venue in MN when they could get one built for them in several other areas?

Go ahead MN politicians and business owners...... Gut it out.
    I am sure the new fans will have a great time cheering for thier new team.

Lets hope that they at least let MN keep the name Vikings so that they can use it on a new team IF the NFL ever lets them have another.
    :
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

"singersp" wrote:
    I'm not sure that this is right.
    Sure, it was a $500 million stadium proposal when Red was here, but the proposed stadium has changed and the real rate of inflation has been relatively high.
    The stadium itself is now a $1 billion project, but over 7-10 years that is not necessarily a substantial increase in the real cost.
    My understanding is that the other $1 billion is all add-on development stuff (hotels, shopping malls) that would not have been included in the first plan and would be paid for by Wilf and Co. anyways.

Additionally, from the Vikings perspective, their costs really aren't increasing.
    They were planning on having the state pay for most of it before, and they are planning on having the state pay for most of it now.
    Paying for the entire thing does not make sense to them.

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    People continue to think this.
    I just don't believe that the Vikings will stay here under those conditions.
    It doesn't make sense for a business to stay someplace when they could be making a lot more money elsewhere.

"Marrdro" wrote:
    Lets hope that they at least let MN keep the name Vikings so that they can use it on a new team IF the NFL ever lets them have another.

:
    I think they would, though I hope it doesn't come to that.
    It would probably be 10 years before they gave Minnesota back a team, but I'm sure everyone would want it after they were gone.
    When we did get a new team, it would cost someone about $1.5 billion to buy, and someone (probably the state) would need to build a new stadium anyways.
    When the age of the Vikings came to a close, they must have sensed it. Probably, they gathered together one evening, slapped each other on the back and said, "Hey, good job." - Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts]

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:

Why would the Wilf ownership group cough up over a billion dollars for a venue in MN when they could get one built for them in several other areas?

Go ahead MN politicians and business owners...... Gut it out.
    I am sure the new fans will have a great time cheering for thier new team.

:
    Exactly! People like to throw around that the NFL is a business, when they talk about releasing players or Wilf's savy in getting a stadium deal done because he is a buisnessman.

So why wouldn't a businessman build & open his buisness in a place where the state not only supports his buisness, but also will build the business for him? LA isn't that place tough IMO, based on past history. Not to mention there's also 3 NFL teams in California already.

I know Wilf has been saying he will not move the team, but once that lease is up, if a stadium deal isn't done, I bet he sings another tune.

This afterall, is the same owner who claimed he supported Tice just weeks before he fired him.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345