Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 46
  1. #21
    BloodyHorns82's Avatar
    BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    9,691

    Re: Mythbusting: Vikings to L.A. Coliseum?

    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    BULLSHIT
    That is what all this talk is. I have not heard any serious talk of the vikings moving. It will not happen. The annonomous phone call for this story was probably ziggy himself trying to get support for a new stadium. The vikings made Red McCombs about $500,000,000.00 dollars when he sold them. If the state would have bought him a stadium he probably still would have sold only for a profit of about $1,000,000,000.00. The vikings are making money, the nfl is making money. They will add another expansion team way before they move a team that is making money.

    This whole idea of the vikings moving to LA or any other place is complete BULLSHIT.

    While I can't see it happening, it is a remote possibility.
    It's happened before in the NFL and it will likely happen again.
    I think there are plenty of other NFL teams that are in worse shape than we are right now, and would likely be the teams moving if any team where to move.

    Are you SURE the Vikings are making money?
    I thought I read that they lost money last year...
    Wilf has put a considerable amount of money back into the team, so I'd be surprised to hear he actually turned a profit last season.

  2. #22
    jmcdon00's Avatar
    jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    8,278

    Re: Mythbusting: Vikings to L.A. Coliseum?

    "BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    BULLSHIT
    That is what all this talk is. I have not heard any serious talk of the vikings moving. It will not happen. The annonomous phone call for this story was probably ziggy himself trying to get support for a new stadium. The vikings made Red McCombs about $500,000,000.00 dollars when he sold them. If the state would have bought him a stadium he probably still would have sold only for a profit of about $1,000,000,000.00. The vikings are making money, the nfl is making money. They will add another expansion team way before they move a team that is making money.

    This whole idea of the vikings moving to LA or any other place is complete BULLSHIT.

    While I can't see it happening, it is a remote possibility.
    It's happened before in the NFL and it will likely happen again.
    I think there are plenty of other NFL teams that are in worse shape than we are right now, and would likely be the teams moving if any team where to move.

    Are you SURE the Vikings are making money?
    I thought I read that they lost money last year...
    Wilf has put a considerable amount of money back into the team, so I'd be surprised to hear he actually turned a profit last season.
    Nobody shows a profit on there tax return. No most privately owned business try to lose money so that they can save the taxes and reinvest that tax money into other ventures. Then they take a bigger hit when the sell the team because they have depreciated everything leaving them with no basis in the team. So for instance he is probably writing off the initial expence of buying the team over 5,7,15 or 30 years. What that means is that he takes a deduction for the $650,000,000.00 that he bought the team for, even though he will eventually get all that money back plus more when he eventually sells them. Plus the IRS allows for eccelerated depreciation so the first year he may be able to take bonus depreciation of 30 or 50% of the total cost.
    There is really no way to know exactly how much money he is making or losing each year. He can make the books look like he made million or lost millions. He doesn't have to report his profits to the public. But what I do know is that McCombs constantly said he was losing money, but he never talked about the value of the team, which we now know was going up by hundreds of millions of dollars.
    For an example let's say that he made $50,000,000.00 this year, rather than paying his taxes wilf decides to invest $100,000,000.00 in buying properties around minneapolis, now he shows a loss of $50,000,000.00 and pays no taxes and crys poverty so the taxpayers buy him a new stadium. Did he really lose $50,000,000.00, no.

  3. #23
    BloodyHorns82's Avatar
    BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    9,691

    Re: Mythbusting: Vikings to L.A. Coliseum?

    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    "BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    BULLSHIT
    That is what all this talk is. I have not heard any serious talk of the vikings moving. It will not happen. The annonomous phone call for this story was probably ziggy himself trying to get support for a new stadium. The vikings made Red McCombs about $500,000,000.00 dollars when he sold them. If the state would have bought him a stadium he probably still would have sold only for a profit of about $1,000,000,000.00. The vikings are making money, the nfl is making money. They will add another expansion team way before they move a team that is making money.

    This whole idea of the vikings moving to LA or any other place is complete BULLSHIT.

    While I can't see it happening, it is a remote possibility.
    It's happened before in the NFL and it will likely happen again.
    I think there are plenty of other NFL teams that are in worse shape than we are right now, and would likely be the teams moving if any team where to move.

    Are you SURE the Vikings are making money?
    I thought I read that they lost money last year...
    Wilf has put a considerable amount of money back into the team, so I'd be surprised to hear he actually turned a profit last season.
    Nobody shows a profit on there tax return. No most privately owned business try to lose money so that they can save the taxes and reinvest that tax money into other ventures. Then they take a bigger hit when the sell the team because they have depreciated everything leaving them with no basis in the team. So for instance he is probably writing off the initial expence of buying the team over 5,7,15 or 30 years. What that means is that he takes a deduction for the $650,000,000.00 that he bought the team for, even though he will eventually get all that money back plus more when he eventually sells them. Plus the IRS allows for eccelerated depreciation so the first year he may be able to take bonus depreciation of 30 or 50% of the total cost.
    There is really no way to know exactly how much money he is making or losing each year. He can make the books look like he made million or lost millions. He doesn't have to report his profits to the public. But what I do know is that McCombs constantly said he was losing money, but he never talked about the value of the team, which we now know was going up by hundreds of millions of dollars.
    For an example let's say that he made $50,000,000.00 this year, rather than paying his taxes wilf decides to invest $100,000,000.00 in buying properties around minneapolis, now he shows a loss of $50,000,000.00 and pays no taxes and crys poverty so the taxpayers buy him a new stadium. Did he really lose $50,000,000.00, no.
    So basically you have absolutely no idea either.
    ;D
    Full of speculation just like any other shmuck...myself included.

    I would hope that with an investment of that size that the guy is making money.

  4. #24
    jmcdon00's Avatar
    jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    8,278

    Re: Mythbusting: Vikings to L.A. Coliseum?

    "BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    "BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    BULLSHIT
    That is what all this talk is. I have not heard any serious talk of the vikings moving. It will not happen. The annonomous phone call for this story was probably ziggy himself trying to get support for a new stadium. The vikings made Red McCombs about $500,000,000.00 dollars when he sold them. If the state would have bought him a stadium he probably still would have sold only for a profit of about $1,000,000,000.00. The vikings are making money, the nfl is making money. They will add another expansion team way before they move a team that is making money.

    This whole idea of the vikings moving to LA or any other place is complete BULLSHIT.

    While I can't see it happening, it is a remote possibility.
    It's happened before in the NFL and it will likely happen again.
    I think there are plenty of other NFL teams that are in worse shape than we are right now, and would likely be the teams moving if any team where to move.

    Are you SURE the Vikings are making money?
    I thought I read that they lost money last year...
    Wilf has put a considerable amount of money back into the team, so I'd be surprised to hear he actually turned a profit last season.
    Nobody shows a profit on there tax return. No most privately owned business try to lose money so that they can save the taxes and reinvest that tax money into other ventures. Then they take a bigger hit when the sell the team because they have depreciated everything leaving them with no basis in the team. So for instance he is probably writing off the initial expence of buying the team over 5,7,15 or 30 years. What that means is that he takes a deduction for the $650,000,000.00 that he bought the team for, even though he will eventually get all that money back plus more when he eventually sells them. Plus the IRS allows for eccelerated depreciation so the first year he may be able to take bonus depreciation of 30 or 50% of the total cost.
    There is really no way to know exactly how much money he is making or losing each year. He can make the books look like he made million or lost millions. He doesn't have to report his profits to the public. But what I do know is that McCombs constantly said he was losing money, but he never talked about the value of the team, which we now know was going up by hundreds of millions of dollars.
    For an example let's say that he made $50,000,000.00 this year, rather than paying his taxes wilf decides to invest $100,000,000.00 in buying properties around minneapolis, now he shows a loss of $50,000,000.00 and pays no taxes and crys poverty so the taxpayers buy him a new stadium. Did he really lose $50,000,000.00, no.
    So basically you have absolutely no idea either.
    ;D

    Full of speculation just like any other shmuck...myself included.

    I would hope that with an investment of that size that the guy is making money.
    Don't worry too much, I think he will be alright.

  5. #25
    PurpleGator's Avatar
    PurpleGator is offline Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1,685

    Re: Mythbusting: Vikings to L.A. Coliseum?

    "MN_SkolVikings_NC" wrote:
    To be honest I am really getting tired of hearing about the Vikings moving to LA.
    Maybe I'll have to eat a big crow sandwich, but I don't think that the Wilfs are going to move the Vikes.

    Why would they move to LA?
    LA hasn;t been able to support a football franchise the last (3??) times they tried.
    Why would Wilf think that he can all of a sudden make a football team work.
    He is smarter than that.
    Not to mention the millions he has invested in Winter Park upgrades.

    Let's everyone be patient.
    If it wasn't for the bridge collapse (all of my best wishes and prayers to those affected) we would be looking at a stadium bill in 2008.
    Frankly, the need to re-enforce the transportation infrastructure is more important.
    If the bridge hadn't happened, the state would not be spending the millions upon millions they are going to spend on checking every bridge in the state, and re0building the 35W bridge.


    Projections say that a stadium, if passed in 09, wouldn't be ready until 2013. The Metrodome lease expires in 2011.
    What is the problem with the Vikings sharing the UofM's new stadium in those 2 years for a fee like a number of other pro franchises have done with colleges in their area for 2 years.
    I think there is none, and if you ask me a pretty darn good solution.


    The Vikings have sold out a LOT of games and are one of the most followed franchises outside of the state of MN as well.
    A move would only sully the fan base and turn the Vikings into a money losing venture in a town that has proven it CANNOT support pro football.
    The LA move conspiracy theory has been around for a long time, and still the Vikings call MN their home.
    They will continue to do so for a long, long time.


    Skol!
    Most of the bridge money is coming from the Feds so that is not it.



  6. #26
    PackSux!'s Avatar
    PackSux! is offline Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    1,562

    Re: Mythbusting: Vikings to L.A. Coliseum?

    The Vikings are not going anyplace.
    The state knows how much money they will lose if they do leave and the state wont allow it.
    Hell we already did it once with the north stars and learned our lesson.

    I dont know exactly how much money the Vikings bring the state in tax money but it is a large number.
    The state is to broke to let them leave without doing something about it.
    So when push comes to shove the Vikings will get their stadium.


  7. #27
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,916

    Re: Mythbusting: Vikings to L.A. Coliseum?

    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "sdfrenchy" wrote:
    The 60,000 number is waaay too low. It's not just the fans that go to the game every sunday it's also people like me that go once or twice a year and spend ~$500 a trip. That money is not just spent in Minneapolis but in the gas stations and restaurants on the way. The number of vikings fans is more like 250,000 in the Minneapolis Metro and even more in the region. It's not like they have 60,000 season ticket holders.

    I predict a new stadium next year. This year is political posturing because of the bridge. They can't hand out money to billionaires when average people are dying on the bridges. Next year though...
    I agree that 60k is too low.
    Even when the Vikings are playing badly, their television ratings are unmatched by any other local broadcast.
    That is why TV stations were willing to shell out so much money to prevent a blackout.
    There is a very strong following in the state of Minnesota.
    But won't those people travel to the new venue and still watch the TV when the team plays at thier new venue? As to the ones like my Mom and Dad that only watch from home, they will be replaced by people in the new venues state who can only watch from home.

    Again, the only one that will really feel any impact on this will be the actual season ticket holders/fans that go every weekend that live in driving distance and a few die hards who will refuse to watch them anymore cause they aren't located in MN.

    Trust me friends the loss of that small fanbase is all a wash as most, if not all will be replaced eventually by the new fanbase.
    Until the state (and the business owners who reap the benifites) figure that out, they won't have any sense of urgency to make sure the Vikes stay in the state.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    1,206

    Re: Mythbusting: Vikings to L.A. Coliseum?

    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "sdfrenchy" wrote:
    The 60,000 number is waaay too low. It's not just the fans that go to the game every sunday it's also people like me that go once or twice a year and spend ~$500 a trip. That money is not just spent in Minneapolis but in the gas stations and restaurants on the way. The number of vikings fans is more like 250,000 in the Minneapolis Metro and even more in the region. It's not like they have 60,000 season ticket holders.

    I predict a new stadium next year. This year is political posturing because of the bridge. They can't hand out money to billionaires when average people are dying on the bridges. Next year though...
    I agree that 60k is too low.
    Even when the Vikings are playing badly, their television ratings are unmatched by any other local broadcast.
    That is why TV stations were willing to shell out so much money to prevent a blackout.
    There is a very strong following in the state of Minnesota.
    But won't those people travel to the new venue and still watch the TV when the team plays at thier new venue? As to the ones like my Mom and Dad that only watch from home, they will be replaced by people in the new venues state who can only watch from home.

    Again, the only one that will really feel any impact on this will be the actual season ticket holders/fans that go every weekend that live in driving distance and a few die hards who will refuse to watch them anymore cause they aren't located in MN.

    Trust me friends the loss of that small fanbase is all a wash as most, if not all will be replaced eventually by the new fanbase.
    Until the state (and the business owners who reap the benifites) figure that out, they won't have any sense of urgency to make sure the Vikes stay in the state.
    I feel like this is arguing about different perspectives.


    From the organization's standpoint, Marrdro is right about it being a wash.
    If they moved they'd get new fans.
    They'd still sell tickets, just not to the same people.
    People would still watch on TV, even if some of these people were different than their previous audience.

    From the perspective of the legislature, there are a lot more people interested in the Vikings than go to the game, and these people would be willing to pay some amount to keep the Vikings here.
    Now, some of these people value the Vikings being in Minnesota more than others.


    Point being, it's not like there are only 60,000 or 250,000 or whatever number of people in the state that would care if the Vikings left.
    I think almost everyone of voting age would care.
    It's just a matter of how much.

    I really believe that most Minnesotans want them to stay here and would gladly pay $50 a year or whatever the bill would be to keep them here, if they believed that the choice was pay or watch them go.
    Right now, people are choosing don't pay and have them stay, which may not be a real option.

    On a related note, here's an interesting article about fan interest and television ratings (link).
    They say that 25% of households in Minnesota tune in each week.
    That's about 520,000 homes and probably (guess) about 1.5-2 million total viewers.
    When the age of the Vikings came to a close, they must have sensed it. Probably, they gathered together one evening, slapped each other on the back and said, "Hey, good job." - Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts]

  9. #29
    BBQ Platypus's Avatar
    BBQ Platypus is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Saint Paul, MN
    Posts
    3,027

    Re: Mythbusting: Vikings to L.A. Coliseum?

    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    kaka del rio
    That is what all this talk is. I have not heard any serious talk of the vikings moving. It will not happen. The annonomous phone call for this story was probably ziggy himself trying to get support for a new stadium. The vikings made Red McCombs about $500,000,000.00 dollars when he sold them. If the state would have bought him a stadium he probably still would have sold only for a profit of about $1,000,000,000.00. The vikings are making money, the nfl is making money. They will add another expansion team way before they move a team that is making money.

    This whole idea of the vikings moving to LA or any other place is complete kaka del rio.

    Um...actually, the Vikings are NOT making money.
    They're LOSING money.
    The NFL is getting tired of having to shell out so much money to us through the revenue sharing program.
    Believe it or not, the league actually wants their franchises to make a profit.
    Sure, the league itself is making money, but it could be making even more without deadweight teams like the Vikings.


    "This is my timey-wimey detector. It goes ding when there's stuff."

  10. #30
    mountainviking's Avatar
    mountainviking is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    2,840

    Re: Mythbusting: Vikings to L.A. Coliseum?

    With the way we all like to get together for the game over some brews and food...that 25% tuned in might be closer to 75% watching!?


    It would be a big move.
    Not something the Wilfs, the NFL, LA or any other place will take lightly.
    Sure, eventually there will be people watching, and buying back into the team, but it may take years.
    They've got a good thing going here (besides the stadium)...what they need to sell tix (and the stadium,) here or there, is WINS and exciting players.
    Its moving in the right direction.
    The Love Boat isn't that far back to have been forgotten.
    The conspiracy theorist in me wants to say, "Give us a Superbowl Upset, and we'll buy a new freakin stadium!!!!!!!"


    My home is in CO now, but I think MN should look at it as an investment.
    Wouldn't a single Superbowl played in a new dome in MN pay for it with all the extra sales, hotels (taxes) etc?
    Maybe a final four tournament?
    Monsters of Rock???


    Seriously, I don't want my cousins, nieces or nephews to grow up Packer fans!!
    And I don't want to be reduced to rooting for the Broncos!
    I'll pay $50 a year to keep them in MN!!!

    BAWHOOOOOOO!!
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

    "Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •