Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Mythbusting: Vikings to L.A. Coliseum?

http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2007/12/20/mythbusting-vikings-to-l-a-coliseum/

Why did the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum Commission reject USC's offer on Wednesday to conditionally accept an agreement to allow the Trojans to play in the Coliseum?

When we first heard of USC's "put up or shut up proposal," we thought it was brilliant, because to reject the plan would require that the Coliseum Commission admit that not even its members had faith in their ability to deliver on their promises to the University.

Many observers say that the Coliseum Commission is reluctant to hand over the keys to the building to the University.

"It's not only about money," Coliseum General Manager Pat Lynch told the LA Times. "It's about everything."

Does "everything" include a plan to bring the Minnesota Vikings to Los Angeles?
    I got a phone call from an anonymous source at a restricted number on Tuesday morning that was too revealing not to follow up on....

Here is what we were told by this alleged "City Hall Insider"... Our tipster heard from a source in Sacramento that Commission President Bernard Parks was at a Holiday Party and was overheard bragging that he and his colleagues have been talking to an NFL developer--not the league or any owners directly--about trying to lure the Minnesota Vikings to the L.A. Coliseum. These talks have been going on for at least three months, including meetings since USC's threat to move to the Rose Bowl went public, and that the entire Commission, not just Parks, had been involved to some degree with the talks.

Wowsers. If true, that would be big news, both in Los Angeles--because it would show that the Coliseum Commission has not been negotiating in good faith with USC--but in Minnesota, where the Vikings were recently told by State Officials not to expect any action on getting a new stadium in the next year.

Normally, an anonymous tipster would not be enough to run with a story, but then again, without anonymous tipsters, there would never have been a President Gerald Ford, so we decided to explore the issue further...
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

Re: Mythbusting: Vikings to L.A. Coliseum?

Right :

Without a credible source this story is nothing, kinda like AOL itself.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

I also don't put much credit into anything without a credible source but when it comes to adding a bunch of stuff up to come to a conclusion I say that I wouldn't completely discount this.

Long story short, the MN voters, thier elected officials and the Minneapolis/St. Paul businesses (who will really feel the pain when/if the Vikes leave) better get off thier asses and soon.

The Wilfs are a good ownership and are in this thing to make money.
    To do that they need to do two things.
    Put a winning team on the field.
    Have a venue that will generate the right revenue.

Someone up in the great white north better realize that we have a pretty good indicator that the Wilf ownership is willing to eat a little loss when it comes to an angry fan base in thier efforts to achieve item number 1.

I am sure they understand that the Vikings fan base is much bigger than the local boys and girls.
    A move to another state/venue would in fact hurt for a short timeframe but would eventually be overcome by the new local fan base if they have to move to get item number 2 done.

Hard pill to swallow my friends, but a reality if you really take a hard look at it that this team is getting closer and closer to leaving MN if (Big IF) someone doesn't wake up.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

To be honest I am really getting tired of hearing about the Vikings moving to LA.
    Maybe I'll have to eat a big crow sandwich, but I don't think that the Wilfs are going to move the Vikes.

Why would they move to LA?
    LA hasn;t been able to support a football franchise the last (3??) times they tried.
    Why would Wilf think that he can all of a sudden make a football team work.
    He is smarter than that.
    Not to mention the millions he has invested in Winter Park upgrades.

Let's everyone be patient.
    If it wasn't for the bridge collapse (all of my best wishes and prayers to those affected) we would be looking at a stadium bill in 2008.
    Frankly, the need to re-enforce the transportation infrastructure is more important.
    If the bridge hadn't happened, the state would not be spending the millions upon millions they are going to spend on checking every bridge in the state, and re0building the 35W bridge.

Projections say that a stadium, if passed in 09, wouldn't be ready until 2013. The Metrodome lease expires in 2011.
    What is the problem with the Vikings sharing the UofM's new stadium in those 2 years for a fee like a number of other pro franchises have done with colleges in their area for 2 years.
    I think there is none, and if you ask me a pretty darn good solution.

The Vikings have sold out a LOT of games and are one of the most followed franchises outside of the state of MN as well.
    A move would only sully the fan base and turn the Vikings into a money losing venture in a town that has proven it CANNOT support pro football.
    The LA move conspiracy theory has been around for a long time, and still the Vikings call MN their home.
    They will continue to do so for a long, long time.

Skol!

Why would they move to LA?
    LA hasn;t been able to support a football franchise the last (3??) times they tried.
    Why would Wilf think that he can all of a sudden make a football team work.
    He is smarter than that.
    Not to mention the millions he has invested in Winter Park upgrades.
    Who says it has to be LA?

As to why would they move?
    To host games in a venue that will make them money.
    To date thier is no viable option in MN to satisfy that.

Let's everyone be patient.
    If it wasn't for the bridge collapse (all of my best wishes and prayers to those affected) we would be looking at a stadium bill in 2008.
    Frankly, the need to re-enforce the transportation infrastructure is more important.
    If the bridge hadn't happened, the state would not be spending the millions upon millions they are going to spend on checking every bridge in the state, and re0building the 35W bridge.
    I'm no politician nor am I a guru in State spending, however, the Bridge collapse isn't the reason that there isn't any money for assistance with funding the stadium my friend.
    If memory serves, the state of MN has a huge deficit before the bridge collapsed.

Additionally, states always budget for infrastructure upgrades. Its part of the taxes you pay every year. In this case, the taxes were spent on something else by the MN elected officials.

Projections say that a stadium, if passed in 09, wouldn't be ready until 2013. The Metrodome lease expires in 2011.
    What is the problem with the Vikings sharing the UofM's new stadium in those 2 years for a fee like a number of other pro franchises have done with colleges in their area for 2 years.
    I think there is none, and if you ask me a pretty darn good solution.
    So what your saying is that the Wilfs will wait until 2013 to start making the revenues needed to make enough money to efficiantly run a championship caliber team as well as make money?
    Show me any business that is capable of eating that many years of losses/negligable profits.

The Wilfs ownership group as smart business men.
    They will move if it means they will loose money or can't stay competitive.

The Vikings have sold out a LOT of games and are one of the most followed franchises outside of the state of MN as well.
    A move would only sully the fan base and turn the Vikings into a money losing venture in a town that has proven it CANNOT support pro football.
    The LA move conspiracy theory has been around for a long time, and still the Vikings call MN their home.
    They will continue to do so for a long, long time

You really need to think of the fan base as two different groups.

a.
    The local fanbase.
    Those within driving distance of the stadium. That isn't very many when you really thing about it.
    I am sure NP can give you how many seasons tickets are held by fans and how many are sold to guys like me who fly in for a game every now and then.
    That number isn't very significant when you look at it.
    That local fanbase will be replaced by the new local fanbase were the new venue is built.

b.
    All others.
    Sure a few like me who were born/raised in MN will be pissed because they leave but we will still probably buy the gear, watch the TV and soak up the commercials that really generate the revenues for the NFL and its teams.

The only fanbase that will be severly impacted by moving this team will be the 60,000 who come to the games on a regular basis.
    Additionally you will probably (not sure why) piss off the local business who seem to always buy up the other 2,500 tickets that keeps the "Sellout Streak" alive.

Face it my friend, the Wilfs will piss off 60,000 plus fans and move the team to a new venue, be it LA or where ever,
    to generate the necessary funding to run this team rather than loosing the profits that they aren't getting in the dome.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

The coliseum is a dump. I don't see any team moving there.
    Is this an onion article?
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Yeah, what this article doesn't mention is the fact that the Coliseum is in worse shape than the dome is, and has less luxury seats than the dome.
    There is a reason why no NFL teams play there.

Zygi already has a contract with an aging stadium that doesn't generate enough revenue.
    Why would he want to move into an older one that generates less revenue?
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

I know I've said this before, but the bridge collapse is just an "excuse" for not building the stadium. That roadway is part of the FEDERAL highway system. It's an INTERSTATE highway. Therefore the lion's share of the cost of rebuilding is up to the federal government.
    So I get sick and tired of people who keep saying, "Oh the state's got no money because of the bridge collapse."
    And the cost of inspecting other bridges is an on-going cost (or at least it should be). Do you believe I'm dumb enough to buy into the fact that the state never inspected a bridge until the collaspe? Come on, why do they have MDOT?
    The fact is, no politician wants to spend money on a stadium because they don't want to raise taxes. It will make them unpopular and they won't get re-elected. It's that simple. But those same politicians are willing to spend big money on other things as long as it's something for their home area.
    In that respect they are just like the Federal government. Wait until you see the new spending bill from the US Congress. You won't believe the amount of PORK!
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    Yeah, what this article doesn't mention is the fact that the Coliseum is in worse shape than the dome is, and has less luxury seats than the dome.
    There is a reason why no NFL teams play there.

Zygi already has a contract with an aging stadium that doesn't generate enough revenue.
    Why would he want to move into an older one that generates less revenue?
    Take LA out of the equation.

He wants a venue that will generate revenue.
    That venue can be built anyplace that has the following:

a.
    A receptive audience/community ready to assist with funding.
    b.
    An area that has the infrastructure (airports, highways, hotels, business, large corporations etc) to support an NFL team.
    c.
    An area that is approved by the NFL.
    Usually if you have (b) you will get (c).
    d. An area that has a large population.
    Again, if you have (b) you have an area that can/will support a team in attendance.

Again, lets not focus on just LA but rather that if pushed, and I feel they are being nudged now, the Wilf owner ship will start to look at other venues that can and will meet his needs for a venue that have the right area and population to support it.

"COJOMAY" wrote:
    I know I've said this before, but the bridge collapse is just an "excuse" for not building the stadium. That roadway is part of the FEDERAL highway system. It's an INTERSTATE highway. Therefore the lion's share of the cost of rebuilding is up to the federal government.
    So I get sick and tired of people who keep saying, "Oh the state's got no money because of the bridge collapse."
    And the cost of inspecting other bridges is an on-going cost (or at least it should be). Do you believe I'm dumb enough to buy into the fact that the state never inspected a bridge until the collaspe? Come on, why do they have MDOT?
    The fact is, no politician wants to spend money on a stadium because they don't want to raise taxes. It will make them unpopular and they won't get re-elected. It's that simple. But those same politicians are willing to spend big money on other things as long as it's something for their home area.
    In that respect they are just like the Federal government. Wait until you see the new spending bill from the US Congress. You won't believe the amount of PORK!
    Excellent post my friend.
    ;D

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast