Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    The LT's and where they were drafted from the last 20 SB winners.

2010- GB: Clifton 2nd round. 47th pick.
    2009- NO: Bushrod 4th round 125th pick.
    2008- Pitt: Starks 3rd round. 75th pick.
    2007-Giants: Diehl 5th round. 150th pick.
    2006-Indy: Glenn. 1st round 19th pick.
    2005-Pitt: Smith 2nd round 38th pick.
    2004-NE: Light 2nd round 48th pick.
    2003- NE: Light 2nd round 48th pick.
    2002- TB:Oben 3rd round 66th pick.
    2001-NE: Light 2nd round 48th pick.
    2000- Bal: Ogden 1st round 4th pick.
    1999-St louis: Pace 1st round 1st pick.
    1998-Denver:Jones UDFA
    1997- Denver: Zimmerman 1st round3rd pick ( signed as a FA from the Vikings)
    1996-GB: Michels 1st round. 27th pick.
    1995-Dallas: Tuinei UDFA ( signed as a DT)
    1994- SF: Wallace 4th round 101st pick.
    1993- Dallas:Tuinei See above
    1992- Dallas: tuinei See above
    1991-Wash:Lachey( 1st round 12th pick ( Signed as a FA not drafted by)
    1990-Giants: Elliott 2nd round36th pick.

So in looking at the data there are only 2 SB winners in the past 20 that had a top 4 LT that they drafted themselves. A few other teams acquired LT's that were drafted that high but they were later on in their careers. This was actually higher than I thought but it still goes with my assertion that LT's can certainly be gotten in the later rounds.
    Awesome research PF. Good stuff.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by smegmavike View Post
    That is why I favor taking an impact player with the highest pick and looking for a very good lineman in the second, third , or fourth round. Waiting until the 5th, 6th, or final round seems like neglect.
    Me too.

TheAnimal93 is offline Team Alumni
    Okay, which is more important to a team. A shutdown corner or a cant miss LT?

smegmavike is offline Coordinator
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAnimal93 View Post
    Okay, which is more important to a team. A shutdown corner or a cant miss LT?
    Should be able to find both in the first 36 picks, don't you think?

Freakout is offline Coordinator
    Blog Entries
    There are a lot of teams needing CB help and they just so happen to be picking at the tail end of round one.

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by i_bleed_purple View Post
    Nobody's expecting they start hot day one, but both have developed into decent players. That's th epoint of drafting. It's ideal if they can be plugged in on day one, but that can't always happen.
    NO Baker got benched. He isn't starting.

TheAnimal93 is offline Team Alumni
    You would think. But somehow my confidence is waning from the past few years.

Chazz is offline Coordinator
    There is no such thing as a can't miss prospect.....that does not mean that we shouldn't take Kalil with our pick. There is all this love for Blackmon, but I just don't see it. Having one great WR is no way to run an offense anyway....we've done that and it didn't work out to well for us....Detroit has it, but it doesn't seem to be working for them as of late either. Green bay is full of 2nd-3rd round WR's and nobody can cover them. Not because any one of them is super great, they just are all very good and no defense is deep enough to cover them all...they always have a mismatch somewhere.

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by Chazz View Post
    There is no such thing as a can't miss prospect.....that does not mean that we shouldn't take Kalil with our pick. There is all this love for Blackmon, but I just don't see it. Having one great WR is no way to run an offense anyway....we've done that and it didn't work out to well for us....Detroit has it, but it doesn't seem to be working for them as of late either. Green bay is full of 2nd-3rd round WR's and nobody can cover them. Not because any one of them is super great, they just are all very good and no defense is deep enough to cover them all...they always have a mismatch somewhere.
    I disagree. I'm not saying that Kalil isn't a can't miss prospect, I am simply providing facts to people that claim that going OL is safer than drafting any other position. It isn't. In this offseason, I would love us to sign Buffalo's OT, and Nicks away from NO. This way we can fix the draft to focus on our secondary, WRs and rebuilding our DT and LBS. A switch to the 3-4 will solve alot of our problems. We have 2 MLB in Brinkly and EJ and one OLB in Greenway. We have a bunch of DEs that are too big to play DE and too small to play DT.

Jennings can go and start on any team. He's a number 1. They also have a QB that is playing at a level never before seen in a QB. The issue at hand is we need more talent at the WR position. 2 more WRs are needed to get us at a level of excellence.

skum is offline Team Alumni
    Blog Entries
    Even with research, thought and alot of thinking, i want Kalil.

You never know with guys like Blackmon and we have seen to many times this recivers coming out of college as stars and then completely bust.. Claiborne is a good player, but #2 is a bit to high for him in my mind.

Kalil fits a glaring need on this football team, both for the passing and running game and i think its the right selection all around.

If he doesnt work out at left tackle, you can often move them inside and still have a player producing, these kind of switches pretty much never happens at WR or CB and you see the player cut withing a few years.

The CB draft this year is also pretty deep, so is the WR and you can pick up some good players in the 2nd and 3rd, while outside of the first round.. the tackles starts to decline. So you could go with Claiborne or Blackmon in the first and then try and see if a guy like Mike Adams from Ohio State is there in the start of the second, but i doubt it very much.

Loadholt is getting torched all the time and he was a second round pick, so id rather not compromise with the talent in that spot.

----
    PUT IN JACKSON!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast