Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Mystery offense will feature play-makers

While coach Leslie Frazier would like to keep opponents guessing about what changes they will see when the NFL lockout ends, there is one legitimate reason why he is unable to get into more detail. Frazier and Musgrave don't know who their quarterback will be and a good part of how their offense will operate will be based on who's running it.

That point alone should make Vikings fans extremely happy.

As Frazier spoke this week at the NFL owners meetings, it was clear Musgrave's approach will be far less rigid than Childress'. Under Childress, the new quarterback would have been expected to learn a system already in place. Frazier and Musgrave appear willing to adjust their ideas to fit the strengths of whoever is under center.

Ohhh Lord. You guys know what this means...... They are going to draft a kid and then build the team around him. Most of you will like that, however, I don't.

That means rebuilding and starting over.

Damn I hate rebuilding.

Marrdro can be heard chanting........KOLB KOLB KOLB KOLB KOLB KOLB KOLB KOLB........

In the end, I find it absolutely ludicrous that they would completely revamp the offense to fit one guy instead of draft a guy who fits the talent already on the team.

No wonder Rice wants to leave.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Re: Mystery offense will feature play-makers

The more I think of this, the more pissed I'm getting......

We have some ideas of what we want it to look like, but until you get him under center and get him to work through the system, so you can start saying, 'OK, we thought this was going to be good for him, but maybe not. Let's take that out, let's put this in' -- until you find out who that's going to be, it's just information right now."
    In other words, hey we think we told the scouts what kindof guy we wanted but they either didn't understand us or they went out and got someone that didn't fit.

Again I say hogwash.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1092429

We have some ideas of what we want it to look like, but until you get him under center and get him to work through the system, so you can start saying, 'OK, we thought this was going to be good for him, but maybe not. Let's take that out, let's put this in' -- until you find out who that's going to be, it's just information right now."
    In other words, hey we think we told the scouts what kindof guy we wanted but they either didn't understand us or they went out and got someone that didn't fit.

Again I say hogwash.
    I can see why there is concern. I take this more as there will be a guy (Drafted, FA, or Webb) and they are going to suit the style of offense to thier strengths. I would still envision a heavy dose of AP and Toby to keep the opposition honest, but I view this as more of a hedged statement than a complete and utter lack of direction.

If we stay with Webb we will look more like Chillers first few years with TJ. Run Right, run left, bootleg pass with 1-2 reads. I think that the same will hold true on a draft pick. That is unless they think they have the guy who will be our franchise QB ala Ryan, Flacco. Even still if you look at their rookie years they were heavily loaded run attacks and good defensive schemes. As Flacco and Ryan demonstrated their abilities they got more freedom to pass and open up the system.

The only way I see Musgrave putting his version offensive style of play into effect is potentially with a FA who grasps what NFL defenses are trying to do to negate our efforts. While this gives us the best chance to win now, we need to make a decision as to whether we are going to get a legit young QB and experience some growing pains in exchange for some long term stability.

dfosterf is offline Coach

Now Marr, did you get a chance to see the first half of the first game GB @ Philly?

You'll be GD lucky if you can get Kolb to come out of the friggin' locker room vs. my Pack

lol

...just funnin'

Quote Originally Posted by "slavinator" #1092432

Again I say hogwash.
    I can see why there is concern. I take this more as there will be a guy (Drafted, FA, or Webb) and they are going to suit the style of offense to thier strengths. I would still envision a heavy dose of AP and Toby to keep the opposition honest, but I view this as more of a hedged statement than a complete and utter lack of direction.

If we stay with Webb we will look more like Chillers first few years with TJ. Run Right, run left, bootleg pass with 1-2 reads. I think that the same will hold true on a draft pick. That is unless they think they have the guy who will be our franchise QB ala Ryan, Flacco. Even still if you look at their rookie years they were heavily loaded run attacks and good defensive schemes. As Flacco and Ryan demonstrated their abilities they got more freedom to pass and open up the system.

The only way I see Musgrave putting his version offensive style of play into effect is potentially with a FA who grasps what NFL defenses are trying to do to negate our efforts. While this gives us the best chance to win now, we need to make a decision as to whether we are going to get a legit young QB and experience some growing pains in exchange for some long term stability.
    I'm an tracking with all of that, with one exception. Musgroves style of offense is the WCO and a version/variant that closely resembles the Chillers/Bevs.

Go back to the threads were I've added fidelity to that comment (included play by play from the games).

In short, his style fits the players we already have/could have if resigned. Why would you draft a guy that doesn't fit that scheme if it means you are now going to have to teach the whole team the new scheme?

Nope, makes no sense. Ideally you have a established scheme that you draft the rookie into. He then learns the scheme and has a easier time doing it cause the rest of the team knows the scheme better than he does.

Doing it the other way, is exactly what we just went through with the Chiller........

The team was gutted and everyone had to learn the new offense. Again, absolutely ludicrous to try to go through all of that again especially when the pieces are in place to have a young kid atleast have a good chance of succeeding.

Wow am I miffed.

Quote Originally Posted by "dfosterf" #1092433
    Now Marr, did you get a chance to see the first half of the first game GB @ Philly?

You'll be GD lucky if you can get Kolb to come out of the friggin' locker room vs. my Pack

lol

...just funnin'
    LOL, I hear ya my friend, but you must remember, all players have a bad day and can look like crap for a short spell. :laugh:

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1092438

Again I say hogwash.

I'm an tracking with all of that, with one exception. Musgroves style of offense is the WCO and a version/variant that closely resembles the Chillers/Bevs.

Go back to the threads were I've added fidelity to that comment (included play by play from the games).

In short, his style fits the players we already have/could have if resigned. Why would you draft a guy that doesn't fit that scheme if it means you are now going to have to teach the whole team the new scheme?

Nope, makes no sense. Ideally you have a established scheme that you draft the rookie into. He then learns the scheme and has a easier time doing it cause the rest of the team knows the scheme better than he does.

Doing it the other way, is exactly what we just went through with the Chiller........

The team was gutted and everyone had to learn the new offense. Again, absolutely ludicrous to try to go through all of that again especially when the pieces are in place to have a young kid atleast have a good chance of succeeding.

Wow am I miffed.
    I can certainly track with that. Would you consider that it may be subtrefuge to keep the other teams off of a guy we covet in the draft? I dont see us making major changes to the scheme per se save for making it vanilla until we know exactly what we got at the QB position.

To me Dalton, and Ponder fit this style. Since Ponder is rocketing up draft boards it may be a way to throw others off.

Quote Originally Posted by "slavinator" #1092444
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1092438

Again I say hogwash.

Wow am I miffed.
    I can certainly track with that. Would you consider that it may be subtrefuge to keep the other teams off of a guy we covet in the draft? I dont see us making major changes to the scheme per se save for making it vanilla until we know exactly what we got at the QB position.

To me Dalton, and Ponder fit this style. Since Ponder is rocketing up draft boards it may be a way to throw others off.
    I hope your right. You need to remind me what I tell everyone this time of year........."Don't believe a word you hear".....

Anyway, thanks. I have calmed a bit now with that post.B)

vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1092428
    While coach Leslie Frazier would like to keep opponents guessing about what changes they will see when the NFL lockout ends, there is one legitimate reason why he is unable to get into more detail. Frazier and Musgrave don't know who their quarterback will be and a good part of how their offense will operate will be based on who's running it.

That point alone should make Vikings fans extremely happy.

As Frazier spoke this week at the NFL owners meetings, it was clear Musgrave's approach will be far less rigid than Childress'. Under Childress, the new quarterback would have been expected to learn a system already in place. Frazier and Musgrave appear willing to adjust their ideas to fit the strengths of whoever is under center.

Ohhh Lord. You guys know what this means...... They are going to draft a kid and then build the team around him. Most of you will like that, however, I don't.

That means rebuilding and starting over.

Damn I hate rebuilding.

Marrdro can be heard chanting........KOLB KOLB KOLB KOLB KOLB KOLB KOLB KOLB........

In the end, I find it absolutely ludicrous that they would completely revamp the offense to fit one guy instead of draft a guy who fits the talent already on the team.

No wonder Rice wants to leave.
    it just means they have a couple of options

Webb, AP, Gerhart and Harvin in a heavy wildcat scheme :sick:

or 1st round drafted QB in a simple system :S

or a veteran QB in a more developed pro scheme

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

I think your reading too much into things Marrdro.

The offense at some level has to adapt to the QB. Even last year they called different plays depending whether Favre, Tjack or Webb was playing.

It would be silly to completely design an offense when one of several players could be your QB. Doesn't mean they are not targeting a certain type of Qb but even if you have two west coast QB's they are both going to have different strengths and weaknesses. Kolb and McNabb have different strengths. Gabbert or Newton have different strengths and weaknesses. Peyton Manning and Tom Brady have different strengths.

Like wise the offense will be different if you bring in a vet or a rookie. Not going to open up the entire playbook with a rookie.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast