Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own

Re: My Vikings opinion

Creepy Childress in his free time.

Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

vikingivan is offline Star Spokesman

"BobbyOShea" wrote:
    First off, I hope this is in the right place, as this is my first posting in this section of PPO.

As some of you know when I introduced myself the other day, I'm die-hard Packer-fan, but I wanted to give my input on the state of your team through a Packer fan's eyes.

I would be absolutely livid as a Vikings fan, that the front office/coaching staff hasn't developed any consistency whatsoever on offense.
    You have a win-now defense with a plethora of pro-bowl Caliber players, but an offense that can't even score two touchdowns a game with any consistency.
    I know T-Jack has some upside... but geez you have a very good O-Line, and a rushing attack that can do a lot of damage.
    Besides Peterson, who in essence fell into your laps at your spot in the draft, I don't see any playmakers.
    When Chester Taylor returns, that could improve things, but going into this season with T-Jack as your only legitimate option at QB was a mistake.
    I know hindsight is 20/20, but with the overall talent on this team you had to bring in a proven veteren at QB who could at the very least help tutor your young QB right?

Anyway, I'm sure all of this has been said before, but I can definitely feel your frustration.
    Regardless of all that, you guys always play us tough and this weekend will be a good game.

Look on the brightside though, at least you're not stuck with Rex Grossman!
    Two offensive touchdowns a game.
    Wow, that would be great.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"BobbyOShea" wrote:
    First off, I hope this is in the right place, as this is my first posting in this section of PPO.

As some of you know when I introduced myself the other day, I'm die-hard Packer-fan, but I wanted to give my input on the state of your team through a Packer fan's eyes.

I would be absolutely livid as a Vikings fan, that the front office/coaching staff hasn't developed any consistency whatsoever on offense.
    You have a win-now defense with a plethora of pro-bowl Caliber players, but an offense that can't even score two touchdowns a game with any consistency.
    I know T-Jack has some upside... but geez you have a very good O-Line, and a rushing attack that can do a lot of damage.
    Besides Peterson, who in essence fell into your laps at your spot in the draft, I don't see any playmakers.
    When Chester Taylor returns, that could improve things, but going into this season with T-Jack as your only legitimate option at QB was a mistake.
    I know hindsight is 20/20, but with the overall talent on this team you had to bring in a proven veteren at QB who could at the very least help tutor your young QB right?

Anyway, I'm sure all of this has been said before, but I can definitely feel your frustration.
    Regardless of all that, you guys always play us tough and this weekend will be a good game.

How's that first round draft pick working out? Are the Packers fans still pissed at that pick?

mblack76 is offline Pro-Bowler

"cajunvike" wrote:
    "BobbyOShea" wrote:
    I didn't mean to take a dig at you guys for Peterson falling to you in the draft, I just meant that that wasn't attributed to the competence of your front office.
    The "Creepy Uncle" thing is pretty funny though that dude definitely looks like he should be on "To Catch a Predator."

But I digress... for most coaches in the NFL in this era, having a rapport with your players is extremely important.
    Do I think Mike McCarthy is a genius?
    Hell no.. he called a spread shotgun formation on 4th down on the 1 yard line yesterday!
    But, what will make him a good coach is his rapport with the players and the mutual respect that is there.
    Childress strikes me as the guy who gets laughed at by his players for wearing a fanny-pack.
    I'm not saying he wears a fanny pack, its just an example.
    But what do I know????

Also, Prophet, I like your O-Line a lot.
    Its tough to block, though, when the defense stacks the box every time.
    The fact AP was still able to have 100+ rushing yards is a feat in itself under those circumstances.
    Not necessarily true...the Vikes could have easily passed on Peterson as well and taken Brady Quinn...so our front office DID have something to say about that.
    As well, our last couple of drafts have been pretty good, so the front office is not as incompetent as you believe.
    Remember who blew the Peterson 'still injured' shoulder story? That was the work of Rick Spielman when asked on KFAN if there were any draft rumors going on.
    He asked if they had not heard that AD's shoulder was not really healed. That was a day to the draft.
    Did it have an effect? I dont know.

With our current situation I am not sure who we need to step up. One thing for sure is that the offensive play calling leaves more to be desired. Maybe Chilly just needs to leave the Offense to the offensive coordinator and then most importantly in my book, get a REAL and GROUNDED offensive coordinator

On the QB issue..
    The Coach and the Organization see things somewhat differently
    The Coach usually wants a 'who will help me win now' type guy (for obvious reasons- contract duration and results)
    The Organization wants a long term / franchise type QB to take the team for a long haul.
    Now if the Coach and Organization happen to agree (case in point Vikings) then the coach probably has a long run with that team. Reason why I think Chilly will have a long stay with the Vikings.
    So lets get used to it. Besides, from a business stand point, he is building a long term team saving money for the owner for the long haul definitely at the expense of immediate gratification. But again when they start winning no one will remember the boring bad days. At that time the organization will just have to sit and make money with players all locked up with long term contracts. Great business model and team building program.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"BobbyOShea" wrote:

Thank GOD someone finally agrees with me! Even if it's a Packer fan. If he can see it, why can't many of you?

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

bigbadragz is offline Coordinator

you are missing the point anyways.
    i dont care who you bring in as qb, if we protect like we have been no one is gonna have success.
    mad pressure against detroit, tavaris forces balls that turn into picks.
    mad pressure against kc, 5 sacks and an inability to let wrs finish routes.

jackson is capable of doing what needs to be done for the way we wanna play, but if we let teams just bowl over our o-line then we have no chance.
    we are not a veteran game manager qb away from being a playoff team cuz that's what johnson was and he failed miserably.
    we invested alot of money in the left side of the line, and if the right side is so bad that everyone is getting beat the vikes should have used some of the nest egg of a salary cap they have and got some veteran o-line help. i'm sure missing richardson and chester ain't helping either, but either way the play of the line the last 2 weeks should be more to blame for our shitty offensive play, than anything else.
    LET THAT WHICH DOES NOT MATTER, TRULY SLIDE

PurplePackerEater is offline Ring of Fame

"mblack76" wrote:
    On the QB issue..
    The Coach and the Organization see things somewhat differently
    The Coach usually wants a 'who will help me win now' type guy (for obvious reasons- contract duration and results)
    The Organization wants a long term / franchise type QB to take the team for a long haul.
    Now if the Coach and Organization happen to agree (case in point Vikings) then the coach probably has a long run with that team. Reason why I think Chilly will have a long stay with the Vikings.
    So lets get used to it. Besides, from a business stand point, he is building a long term team saving money for the owner for the long haul definitely at the expense of immediate gratification. But again when they start winning no one will remember the boring bad days. At that time the organization will just have to sit and make money with players all locked up with long term contracts. Great business model and team building program.
    If we're strickly building for the future, then why would we throw 5 million a year to Pat Williams who is like 35 years old?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234