renovikesfan is offline Coordinator

My thoughts on the coaches

Tice

He wasn't ready to be HC, and IMO, still isn't. I like him, don't get me wrong...I just wish he was still coaching the O-line. We need someone who understands game strategy a little better (okay, A LOT better). And maybe someone who comprehends the challenge system.

Loney

His promotion was premature, but the jury's out until we see how he does. He said he realizes the need for a nice mix of passing AND running, and he mentioned that the occasional trick play will be seen...so at least he's saying the right things. Hope to see some more shots downfield with the deep threats we have in Moss and Campbell.

Cottrell

I wouldn't say his first year was a total failure.....but it can't be considered anywhere close to a success, either. I'm willing to give him another year to improve our Defense. We can't pin it ALL on the players...yeah, they have to be able to execute the plays, but if the playcalling itself is crappy, ie. hardly any blitzing or stunting, then even an All-Star Defense will have problems. Case in point, the last few ProBowls.

Tillman

This guy needs to go. Our Special Teams have been an embarrassment ever since he came on. I believe Chris Walsh is the assistant ST coach, isn't he? Let him take over...can't be any worse than Tillman. He's been with the team a long time, and we know he'd infuse passion and attitude into the squad.

Thoughts, comments, and/or criticisms?

jackyl is offline Hall of Famer

I'd really like to see what Tice could do with a full roster and a real coaching staff

renovikesfan is offline Coordinator

Not much more than what he's done so far, IMO, which is give us two losing seasons, a sniff at the Playoffs in '03, and backing us in this last time.

MAYBE he could get us to the NFC Championship, but we'd be the bridesmaids yet again.

jackyl is offline Hall of Famer

Grant never brought a title either.... no single coach is ever a lock. Plus there's no proven head coaches available.

XTAP59 is offline Coordinator

Re: My thoughts on the coaches

"renovikesfan" wrote:
    Tice

He wasn't ready to be HC, and IMO, still isn't. I like him, don't get me wrong...I just wish he was still coaching the O-line. We need someone who understands game strategy a little better (okay, A LOT better). And maybe someone who comprehends the challenge system.

Loney

His promotion was premature, but the jury's out until we see how he does. He said he realizes the need for a nice mix of passing AND running, and he mentioned that the occasional trick play will be seen...so at least he's saying the right things. Hope to see some more shots downfield with the deep threats we have in Moss and Campbell.

Cottrell

I wouldn't say his first year was a total failure.....but it can't be considered anywhere close to a success, either. I'm willing to give him another year to improve our Defense. We can't pin it ALL on the players...yeah, they have to be able to execute the plays, but if the playcalling itself is crappy, ie. hardly any blitzing or stunting, then even an All-Star Defense will have problems. Case in point, the last few ProBowls.

Tillman

This guy needs to go. Our Special Teams have been an embarrassment ever since he came on. I believe Chris Walsh is the assistant ST coach, isn't he? Let him take over...can't be any worse than Tillman. He's been with the team a long time, and we know he'd infuse passion and attitude into the squad.

Thoughts, comments, and/or criticisms?
    Good insight.
    Our special teams really hurt the Vikes. Poor kickoffs, poor coverage, to many freakin penalites, missed FG's, non attempted FG's, and punting.
    Fix the special teams and it will add two victories next season.

LURKING ON THE GRASSY KNOLL
    http://lotgk.wordpress.com