Hardball88 is offline Waterboy

My take on Chilly & our QB starter

I'm tired of just reading here and thought I toss you all my thoughts on our
    QB deal.
    I don't like TJ at all...the Skins game week 16 told me all I needed to know, if you can't beat a 9 man front with a pass play in week 16 your not going to win me over...
    that said, I'm going to go with Chilly on this one, if he thinks TJ has the right stuff,ok. I think Chilly has done a damm fine job with the team from where it was to what we have now. I don't see it in TJ, but I'm not their or spend the time to really know. So go with
    Chilly as he done a fine job so far, even if I'm sure as heck hating the thought of TJ with this team.

To the Farve deal and us..I dont like it after the part it pisses off GB fans that he would even think it, let alone trying to do it.. hehehehe. I figure the team has a 2 year window to make a run at the SB with this core group of players. if Chilly thinks TJ is the man and he needs this year to round out his game to that level, Cool with me. The schedule is rough, TJ needs to learn , and the widow is more then 1 year . So let Farve make packer fans cry, but don't bring him in Chilly, ya you would win a few more games this year with Farve but it be so much sweeter if you did it without anyone from GB thinking you had to have our guy to do it.

Formo is offline Team Alumni

Re: My take on Chilly & our QB starter

First off, welcome to PPO!
    Go post in the Free Beer forum!

Second, good post.
    I agree with you on Chilly.
    I'm very pro-Chilly, even though I hated that he seems to struggle with adjustments.
    As far as T-Jack goes, I'm ok with him.
    Statistically, he bites; but if he sharpens his decision making skills out along with accuracy, I'll REALLY like him.
    It's just too early to tell.
    After this year, we'll know who T-Jack is.
    Vegans are eating the rainforests. =(

digital420 is offline Team Alumni

nice post, and welcome aboard!!

I agree with you on Bchill, in the begining i was kinda between backing him, and asking to pack him away.

but since he has stuck to his guns on the whole, win first in the trenches then move on, he has won me over on a few things. Also, the FO has done a great job of supplying the exact talent he was looking for.

as for Tjack. i'm waiting to see what the coaches seem to see. They know this position, and what skillz they want for that position better then I.. so. until i really see Tjack loosing things for us, and not a combo of his WR's dropping pass's, or missing assignments, as well as bad accuracy and quick hot headed decisions. i'll sit back and root for the kid.

DiGiTaL

"We tried to stick with it, but there was a point where we were beating our head against a wall," Seattle Coach Mora talking about running at the Williams Wall

scottishvike is offline Hall of Famer
    Blog Entries

Welcome to the site Hardball88, I'm not 100% convinced with either Childress or Jackson, after the shut out loss against Green Bay I thought the job was to much for the HC, granted we did put some results together after that but as you say in the crunch game against the Skins we were embarrasing. Hopefully both T-Jack and Chilli have improved in the off season because the frustrating thing right now is we look like contenders in so many areas, TBH we don't even need a great QB to make a run at the big prize, unfortunately Jackson hasn't even looked average a lot of the time. He has age on his side though and I hope after this year we will know If he is the guy or If it's time to start looking elsewhere at the QB position.

Articnv is offline Coach

TJ couldnt beat name man fronts cause a certain reciever coudlnt catch a ball when it hit in the hands to
    stretch the field

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Welcome to the site, Hardball88!

1. You have to have open receivers who can catch the ball before you can beat an 8-9 man front.

2. It's difficult to beat an 8-9 man front with a pass play, when a run play is called for from the bench.

3. You need to have an O-Line that will give you QB ample time to make his reads & find his receiver without allowing the defense to be in his face. I haven't seen a lot of that yet.

4. Don't be so critical of a QB in his first starting season as a pro. You can't expect him to play like a vet in year one. All the greats, with few exceptions, have had a learning curve attached to it. There is so much to learn & absorb in the first year that it takes awhile for it to start coming naturally to them.

The problem I see with too many fans is that they expect far too much in a players first year. Some of that I attribute to the Vikings always starting older vets. With the exception of Culpepper, it has been many many years since the Vikings groomed a rookie QB. Most here might not have even been born, were in diapers or too young to remember.

Take a look at how the other rookie QB's in the league faired in their first year at the helm. Try starting with the earliest drafted QB's.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

PurpleTide is offline Team Alumni

Great first post Hardball88, you'll see on many threads that the good folks here aren't sold on Tarvaris, or Coach Childress. I think they both have come a long way, and this year we will see the playbook open more and T-Jack step up.

Get over to the free beer thread and introduce yourself and skol.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"PurpleTide" wrote:

Great first post Hardball88, you'll see on many threads that the good folks here aren't sold on Tarvaris, or Coach Childress. I think they both have come a long way, and this year we will see the playbook open more and T-Jack step up.

Get over to the free beer thread and introduce yourself and skol.
    And that's the way it should be. It's a wait & see game that has to be played out. To cast a QB to the curb now & want something else after one year starting in the pros is just ridiculous.

With that type of mentality, you won't see a franchise player here ever unless you find one of the rare golden boys who excel in their first year.

You'll wind up throwing rookie QB's in year after year until you find one. Meanwhile, some of those that were cast away will go on to have good careers elsewhere. The Vikings have cast away Gannon, Johnson & Wilson who went on to start for other teams.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Welcome to the site my newest purple friend.

Post well and often.

As to your points in our post...

a.
    Lets not forget, the Chiller didn't build this team all on his own.
    All he has done is articulate his scheme and the type of players he needs to execute that scheme.
    The FO guys then go out and find the guys for the coaches.

b.
    TJ will be fine.
    What we've been seeing on the field is a product that isn't ready to be on the field and not what he will eventually become.
    My guess is we will still see some gaffs from him this year, however, the product should be a bit more finished and we should all start to see the player the FO drafted, the QB coach has been molding and the QB to run the HC's scheme.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg